Mahabharat

TOI:Sanjay Dutt would make the best Duryodhan(Arpit Ranka)

tamanna_aktar thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 1 Thumbnail Commentator 1 Thumbnail
Posted: 10 years ago

Sanjay Dutt would make the best Duryodhan'

Pritika Ghura,TNN | Dec 11, 2013, 12.00 AM IST

Love him or hate him but you cannot ignore him. Be it his huge frame or bulging biceps, Arpit Ranka is getting rave reviews for playing the role of Duryodhan in Siddarth Kumar Tewary's version of Mahabharat. Though he is not new in showbiz, after winning the best body title in Gladrags in 2006 and doing some Telugu movies, this is the first time that he is doing a show of such a huge scale. In a candid chat with TOI, Arpit talks about his role, Bollywood aspirations and how he handles female adulation.

How did you prepare for the role of Duryodhan?
I have worked very hard on my body by working out religiously for hours. I have been growing my hair for the past few months and have also worked on my body language. Be it working out or following a strict diet, I have made lot of sacrifices for the role. Being a vegetarian my only source of protein was protein shakes. Besides this, I had to learn how to ride horses, sword fighting and Gada yudh.

What attracted you to play a negative role?
Initially I was not keen on doing this show. However, after speaking to the creative team I realized that this is indeed a dream role for me to debut in Television. It was a challenging role and I had to train and prepare for the role, which made it very challenging for me. Besides the challenge, the costumes, script attracted me and it was grand show.

Do you associate yourself with Duryodhan's character? Though he is painted as the villain by history, I completely emphasize with him. Since his birth he was told that the kingdom of Hastinapur was his and he did everything in his power to get. Like him if I want something I will do anything and everything in my power to get it. I think whatever Duryodhan has done was justified. Maybe I would have reacted the same way like Duryodhan.

ALSO READ: I also have an ego like Duryodhan

Do you get compared to Puneet Issar, who originally essayed the role of Duryodhana?
I hope that I am able to do justice to the role the same way Puneet sir did. I have met him a couple of times and spoke to him about the role. I have learnt a couple of things from him and hope he likes my work.

Rapid fire round with Arpit

link:
http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/entertainment/tv/interviews/Sanjay-Dutt-would-make-the-best-Duryodhan/articleshow/27178287.cms?

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Wistfulness thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail + 7
Enjoyable article...tfs :)
daenerysnow thumbnail
thanks, slightly turned off by his bollywood interests but what can u do.
Sabhayata thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 3
TFS i have started to like him as Duryodhan
Surish thumbnail
thanks
tamanna_aktar thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 1 Thumbnail Commentator 1 Thumbnail
Welcome everybody..😊

thanks for liking my post...

this line is so true for him:
"Love him or hate him but you cannot ignore him"
.FemmeFatale. thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 5
I totally love him as Duryodhan. It so rarely happens that villain is good at being bad,that he is good!  You know what I mean? ðŸ˜† certainly one of my favourites in the show. 
merrydock thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail + 6
yes  sanjay Dutt could have made a good Duryodhan  say 20 years back,  now he's too old  to play such a young character. but he would diffidently made a very good Bheesme, the age and the role would suit him very well.😊