Rakesh Roshan cant accept a song like Sheila Ki Jawani-Rajesh Roshan

•  
  • Page of 1 Go
  •  
Posted: 10 years ago

Rakesh Roshan cannot accept a song like Sheila Ki Jawani-Rajesh Roshan

Rajesh Roshan talks about old friendships, new talents, Hrithik and evenings spent nursing a drink with brother Rakesh

Mehul S Thakkar (MUMBAI MIRROR; October 12, 2013)

Rajesh Roshan has spent some 40 years in the music industry and his Juhu home, where most of his popular tunes were created, is full of tokens of the long career. Surrounded by glittering trophies, is a large poster of his nephew Hrithik Roshan's debut film Kaho Na Pyaar Hai which was also one of Roshan's bestselling scores. Excerpts from the interview that followed:

You are rarely seen stepping out for parties or events. Why?
The question is whether I am comfortable attending parties or not. I can't go to a party and just smile at people and walk away. There are big actors, directors who come to a party and stay for not more than 20 minutes. They have a knack for making a quick exit but I have not been successful in doing that. So I try to avoid such gatherings.

From Kunwaara Baap to Krrish 3, describe your journey?
I remember Mukesh Bhatt telling me, Tu so raha hai aur tere peeche se log aa rahe hain'. When I asked him who was he talking about, he told me about Anand-Milind's score for Qayamat Se Qayamat Tak. And it proved true and suddenly they snatched away all the big films from me. I thought I was the best- but now I admit that I was indeed sleeping.

You worked with music legends like Mehmood, Kishore Kumar and superstars like Dev Anand, Rajesh Khanna... Could you talk about their legacy?
I remember, I was assisting Laxmikantji and Rajesh Khanna would come to his bungalow in Juhu wearing a lungi, to hear the music. And there would be a big crowd outside. Some people would even climb the wall and jump inside. He would just look at them and smile. The stars were passionate about music and though they were very warm, they had a commanding presence. I was always in awe and somewhat afraid because of the way they carried themselves.

Did you have that fear with your brother as well?
No, Rakesh and I grew up together. We are great friends.

While working with him, did you ever put your foot down over a song - and vice versa?
Sometimes, it takes time to convince him. I don't put pressure on him for selecting a tune but I can stop him from recording a bad song.

But there must be some strong disagreements at times...
Rakesh is very strict and he will never use suggestive words in a song. Yes, he wants modern melodies but he wants the lyrics to be clean. He cannot accept a song like Sheila Ki Jawani. Whenever such songs become chartbusters, he wonders why? But I like that song-and I am willing to adjust. If I don't adjust, I will be a loser. If someone comes to me and tells me to make such songs, I can't say no.

Rakesh Roshan shifted to direction in 1987...
He took the right decision at the right time. During that time, we lived as a joint family. We had a big terrace where we would drink every night and discuss everything. Filmmaking should have bhai chara. Till Kaho Na Pyaar Hai, I was involved in everything from casting to scripting. Then I shifted to a separate house.

After Kaho Na Pyaar Hai, you slowed down and focused only on your brother's movies...
KNPH became a hit. But unfortunately for me, I then got my first heart attack. After that, I did give music to a few films which were not FilmKraft productions but they didn't work. The only thing that worked next for me was the music of Koi Mil Gaya. So the industry put a stamp on me, saying that he only composes good music for his brother's films.

You must be charging a bomb from your brother for exclusively composing for him?
(Laughs) If I am not wrong HMV earned around 100 crore with the sales of CD and cassettes of Kaho Na Pyaar Hai and my remuneration increased 10 folds after that film.

Are you closer to Hrithik or Sunaina?
Both (pauses). Hrithik would stay with me in my room and he used to be a stubborn child. Rakesh would hit him and I used to hold Rakesh's hand so that Duggu could run away.

Edited by ablazedmelody - 10 years ago
Posted: 10 years ago
Originally posted by MoStLyHaRmLeSs

https://www.indiaforums.com/forum/topic/3770970 

Already posted

Accha chalo then changing the topic and putting some other article