Fan Fictions

OS | The Cherry Blossom Tree

InvisibleSmile thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 6
Posted: 10 years ago

'' Cherry blossom tree? '', the incredulity in that high-pitched voice spun like strands of candy floss, '' In India? '' She asked, repeating herself.

'' That was exactly the problem here, there were no cherry blossom's trees in India. Maybe in the northern parts, but not in Delhi! Ever since she had been little, her heart had been whisked away by a fantasy, the man who was to propose to her should do it underneath a cherry blossom tree! ''

'' But, why did she want a cherry blossom tree? ''

The corners of his lips curled pleasantly, and a glint of admiration rose in those misted eyes. He placed his hand on the table and drummed a silent rhythm with the tip of his fingers. '' Because, it reminded her that while life is almost overwhelmingly beautiful, it is also tragically very short. Every moment should be lived up to its full potential. She was like a cherry blossom, beautiful, yet left behind a heart-wrenching trail in her wake. In those small, pink blossoms, she saw what others did not. Khushi saw the impermanence of life and she saw within it the unwritten lines of her fate. ''

The soft brown eyes liquefied and lifted with a warmth inside them, '' Was she sick? ''

'' She had a ventricular septal defect; in more simple words, she had a hole in her heart. She had been diagnosed with it at a very young age, the doctors told her parents that over time it would heal by itself. But, it didn
't, not instantly, though gradually it ceased to exist for her. Until one day, she suffered from a collapse, but it was too late then. '' He answered softly, with a contended sigh. 

The wind had started to pick up its pace outside. One unfriendly branch tapped against the window creating a rustic murmur at its expanse. Shortly, thereafter, a few others followed. His breathing grew deep and uneven, then soft slivers of dainty sunlight crept across the old wooden floors, through the parted blindfolds. '' I don't know why God decided to test her, because she one of the good ones. She was someone who knew how to laugh and make others laugh. She took every bruised soul under her wings in hopes of saving them. That's Khushi for you always eager to lend a hand.'', he added, a moment later. 

Hearing the resolve of satisfaction in his tone, she conjured up a smile. But, she had to admit, she was intensely curious. It was vital she understand the silent predicaments penetrating those guileless undertones . He almost seemed relieved with every whisper, which only intensified her intent to garner a margin that would at its most lead her into hidden passages of his heart. Luckily, she had already found one; Khushi. The inexorable riot of emotions concealed beneath that name were making themselves evident.

'' She sounds like a lovable person. ''

The implausible silence was unceremoniously broken, as the doors to the cafeteria opened, a haughty and overwrought group of volunteers walked inside. They rushed over to the snack bar and fervently began to pick through each item.  '' Young blood; ambitious and ignorant. '' He murmured timidly, turning back to the woman sitting before him.  She was expectantly waiting for him to continue, when he did not, she reshuffled around her seat.

'' Don't tell me, you were never like that? Surely, the name has to be enough, to answer that question. What do you think, Mr. Arnav Singh Raizada? '' The newspapers were spread around the table and his name was splashed everywhere in black ink. Surprisingly, she had found these sitting on her side table, when she had woken up this morning. Media loved him, but she was sure it was a one-sided love, seeing to as how riled up he was in the photographs.

Arnav let out a small chuckle through the gritty forlorn smile slanted across those hard lips. '' You seem to know a lot about me. But, to answer your question; yes, I was ambitious as ever, probably still am. You never had to go hungry, a drive like that, rarely if ever diminishes from within. '' 

Mildly aware of his conversation tactics, she was forced to follow the trail of crumbs he'd left her. She began to steer the conversation back to its original junction. '' So, how does Khushi fit into the picture? You still have not told me about the cherry blossom tree? ''

'' What do you want to know? '' Arnav asked steadily, followed by a heavy murmur. He leaned onto the table, and propped his elbows upon it.  His eyes filled with an intent as they took on his companion.

'' Did you propose to her under the cherry blossom tree? ''

Shaking his head indulgently, Arnav stared at her, as if drawing on a faint sense of remorse. '' Unfortunately, I could not fulfill that one wish of hers. ''

'' Then, how did she agree to marry you? ''

The trembles of memories close-by flickered right before his eyes, each moment relapsing through the savors of his mind. Dredging up the brightest smile, he'd within him, Arnav spoke, '' I don't know how I'd done it, but that inane woman had fallen in love with me. She wanted me in her life, despite my every resolve to keep her away. You see, I was no good for her, she deserved someone who could make her happy. Someone like her needed light and I had grown accustomed to the dark. She would have withered in my surroundings, I never wanted to see that happen. She preferred to soar, while I was afraid of heights. Such opposites, that no road, would ever lead us back to each other. Yet, we still found each other. ''

'' What was she like? ''

'' Khushi...she had the most iridescent eyes ever, they were wide as the expanse of an ocean. It was so easy to find yourself being swept away when those bright round orbs looked at you. But, she made me better, with her, it was easier to be okay with who I am. She made me believe in the possibility of miracles, just when I had started to give up on them.''

She half-smiled, and gathered her arms, wrapping them closely around her abdomen. The reverent feelings, beseeching her, she felt the insecurity of her own tenure. The careless whispers of days gone lingering as if they were her own. It was hard to place it into words, but she felt too deeply for the man before her.  '' Do you miss her? -, wait wrong question, of course you miss her. It shows in your eyes, they speak of her, even when you are quiet. I wonder how it feels to have a love like that. '' Her tone was streaked with a partial curiosity, but the obstinate admiration was still there. 

Had he heard a streak of envy in her voice, perhaps? Arnav grimly looked out the window; the thunderstorm was slowly starting to pick up its pace outside. He wondered, how much longer, and if it would ever end. The brewing inside him was similar to the one outside. It was probing at his attempts to forge satisfaction in his life, but without her there was none. '' Before Khushi, I'd never believed in love. I considered it an overrated concept that was made up to mollify those who were too weak to be alone. She made falling in love so simple. I didn't know how easy it was to share yourself with another. To give and let go. She made me see the good in people, but never hid the bad either. For her, life was all about giving. She'd never learned otherwise. You are fortunate if you are able to come across one person like that in your lifetime, but I had gained her for forever. ''

The tears that trailed down her ominous cheeks, left her slightly embarrassed in his presence. She quickly scrubbed her face, pulling back the loose strands of hair, as she started to lean back against the chair. '' Did she know? Did she know she was your miracle? Did you tell her? ''

In a barely audible whisper, he shook his head. '' She knew...-but I never had to tell her. One day, we'd been sitting in a cafe, it was my parents' death anniversary. Khushi  just knew, it wasn't an intuition or anything, she'd read the despair I was miserably trying to hide from her. I'd spent most of my life, barred by the shackles of my past, she'd freed with me with a touch. It probably doesn't get better than that. I don't know what else to say. I don't know if she was a miracle in the making, but she was it for me. Every morning, I would lay just a little longer in bed, inhaling her lavender scent. There were times, when I would walk into the bathroom, only to find she'd left these little notes on the mirror. She would take these walks in complete silence and you'd wonder what she was thinking. The contentment she'd spread into my life, I could never find that anywhere else. But, I think that was how she was made, kind of like a programmed robot -not that you could ever call her robot, I just mean she had only learned to love others. That was the sheer purpose of her life, to give without expecting anything in return.  ''

'' Do people like that still exist? ''

'' She does. ''

'' I want to meet her. If, I could be granted one wish, I would want to meet your Khushi. Someone who'd turned an unforgiving person into someone who exudes tenderness and warmth deserves nothing but love. Can I meet her?  ''

When Arnav hesitated, it was as if she saw the answer in his eyes. He sat there expecting her to withdraw. She didn't move an inch.

Hesitantly, the confusion fixated in her almond-shaped eyes. It was only to be removed, when she saw him pull out a gold wedding band and place it on the table. It sat between them, hovering, delicately entrapping their each breath.

'' I can't be, Khushi. '' She started to say, beginning to draw back her chair. However, before she could stand up, his intent stare kept her arrested for the moment. '' I am Khushi?'' She asked, once again uncertain, yet secretly found herself drawn to this prospect.

'' What do you think? '' Arnav questioned, his eyes engrossed in the beautiful woman sitting in front of him. He could see that he was no one but a complete stranger to her. Someone, who's story she'd heard over and over again, only to be forgotten in the next few hours. But, his eyes, they never forgot her. Every grin, every smile, every softness, was completely etched onto his heart.

She was wearing a simple blue dress that sat just above her knees, while her hair were tied into a messy bun with her fringe set forth on her forehead, but it was her full-blown lavender scent permeating his senses that reeled him in. It was like coming home, over and over again. 

Half-expecting her to balk, Arnav was surprised to see her reach out for the gold band. Her fingers experimentally grazed the cool and slick exterior, she was trying to resurface any memory that would latch onto this one piece of belonging that was patiently resting in between her fingers. Nothing. There was nothing there. She looked up at the man, the same person, she had spent the last hour talking to. His story; was their story?  

'' I come here every day, we sit in this same cafeteria every day, and I repeat to you the same story every day. The same ring sits between us and every day you walk away from me. '' He told, sitting there with patience and grace.

Khushi moved her hand towards her forehead and pushed back a few strands of hair. '' I don't remember anything, but I don't know why I feel like believing you.''

'' It is because you can see the truth in my eyes. ''

'' I don't want to believe you. How is it possible that I am the same Khushi you speak of. I am nothing like her. I am nobody 's miracle. I don't even know who I am. Every day is a new beginning for me to find out who I am. And, where I belong? ''

'' You are Khushi. You are my wife; Khushi Singh Raizada. You were involved in a accident a year ago. You were given a second chance at life, because I was too much of a coward to live without you. You are the reason, I sit here every day waiting for you to remember me for even the slightest of moments. I am tired of pretending you are just some woman for me.  Today, just for today, I want my wife back. I want her to look into my eyes and fall in love with me all over again. Like, I fall in love with her every day, while sitting in this same cafeteria waiting for her. ''

Khushi stayed absolutely still and the next moment, she'd pulled the ring onto her finger. They sat there, staring at each other, saying absolutely nothing at all. But, in that one moment, they'd said everything that needed to be said.

'' Khushi...'' Arnav whispered, but she clung to his hand and stopped him midway.

'' I love dancing along with the rain. Would you like to share a dance with me? '' Standing up, Khushi held out her hand, waiting for him to accept it. Just as he slipped his calloused hand into her fragile one; it began to pour outside.  The conquering of the raindrops against the glass window provided the softest hints of melancholia in the background.  The harshness of those pelting drops grounded and eventually phased out the outside world from their view.

He gradually twirled her around and skidded across the polished marble floor. Khushi followed his lead willingly. Her smile spread from ear to ear. That always in someones-business-nose of hers turned into a skittish pink. Without a warning, he dipped her low and reveled in the short squeal of surprise that escaped her lips, as her arms wound tightly around his neck to keep herself from falling.

'' Not-bad, Mr. Raizada! I did not expect you to be so smooth on the dance floor. ''

'' You haven't seen anything yet, darling! '', Arnav smirked and hauled her up, she gently collided with his rigid form. Her mesh of a hair falling open as the terse clip gave into the weigh of those dark black tresses. Bewitched - that was the only one could describe what he felt. He was completely breathless as he sought out his lady love and lead her into the dance of falling flames. Like wicked ambers risen from the ashes of a spurned fire; rekindling and resurrecting.

So, she did not remember him today also. But, one day, he had hope that she would remember him. Today was not that day, maybe tomorrow won't be that day either, but some day it will be their day once again. 

-------------------------------------------------------------

Context behind the story : Khushi suffered from a collapse due to her heart defect, whilst driving which caused the accident. The doctors repaired the hole in her heart, but since the internal bleeding in the brain was too profuse to be stopped, she suffered from a comatose stage. She woke up 4 days later with a memory loss. 

Do share your thoughts, would love to read them.

Edited by InvisibleSmile - 10 years ago

DO NOT COPY THIS POST AS THIS IS EXCLUSIVE TO INDIA FORUMS

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Barun_Gf thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 3
resd

Woohooo i first loll
😆

back to update

It was really heart touching

D whole update was so emotional

and den d part were u revealed dat she frgt everything in few hrs just gave me a shock

I thought while reading dat she is dead and arnav is dictating his life story to someone

Bt here he was dictating it to khushi only her life her wife

I loved it it was beautiful indeed

Thnx for d pm Edited by Barun_Gf - 10 years ago
winter.03 thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail + 4
Did it you have to make to so heart-touching? Plus, the fact that this story is some couples real life, it just adds to the beauty of what you tried to portray. I would give you a hug, if I could. The story was not only my cup-of-tea but the way you narrated it, the beauty of this story heightened. In the beginning, I kept on thinking, maybe Khushi is no more. I kept on praying that I would be proven wrong also but I am glad I was wrong. It was such a nice surprise in the end when she slipped the ring onto her finger. I don't know how you do it...you spin simplicity from your words and that in turn churns out real emotions. It was so subtle yet so heart - warming.

I don't know if you purposely picked the rain but I felt it held some kind of symbolism for the couple. I have been told rain is often taken be a god's blessing and in some form a re-birth. When it rained, it was as if they were blessed yet again. Simple things like these are enough to make you want to believe in love again. And, the cherry blossoms, I knew you read but not to this extent. I had to search up cherry blossoms after reading this OS.

You are marvelous, hun. I absolutely loved this OS. I hope you write more like it. Your writing is like you said, strands of spun candy floss. Sheer, beauty. 
Edited by throughmirrors - 10 years ago
devishree thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail Networker 3 Thumbnail
no words 
i am speechless
marvelous just awesome 
👏
ASR6262 thumbnail
Awesome very well written :)
ASRphanki thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 5
Such a beautiful story...u hve spinned it very well...
Emotions , narration was too good...lovely one shot...
thnx for pm
pmehra300 thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail Networker 2 Thumbnail
Absolutely mind blowing OS
Loved it
It was so beautifully written dear
It was really touchy
I literally cried reading it😭...very emotional
.Brooke. thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 2
Brilliant narration of this beautiful heart touching story.
Loved it.
sutapasarbabhom thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail Networker 3 Thumbnail
Such a butiful story wel writen thanx for sharing
.Saraa. thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 2
OMGGG this was really something.
Tears were flowing down while I was reading it, the pain he was going through after losing her.
And then I read about her accident ,felt a ray of hope.
Their love is just beyond words to say ❤️
And her wish and love for cherry blossom tree <3

Gosh it was her he was telling their own story and :-( she is suffering too ,not remembering him..
One day ,just one day,some day she will
Wishes to the real couple as well., it's the test

The end was beautiful ❤️ dance ❤️