Mahabharat

The good and the not so good!/ DT Nt pg 3

nsheena thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail
Posted: 10 years ago
Hello people! This is my first post here. Hope the stay here would be awesome 😊
I am a lover of all things related to Mahabharat! So naturally, I have watched every single episode of BRChopra's Mahabharat. Now why should I watch this version when I can always go to youtube to find the old one?

Yes, there are definitely lots of unfixed loopholes in terms of casting, acting, story and screenplay. But I also have to come to terms with the fact that BRC's MB is unmatchable and will forever be the unbreachable benchmark. Whenever i visualise Krishna, Bhishma, Pandavas, Draupadi, Duryodhan, Dhritharashtra, Gandhari, Sakuni, Dronacharya, Karna etc. even Balram, Rukmani, Subhadra, and every other major to minor character, the cast of the old MB only pops up.

Especially after watching the ridiculous depictions by ekta's Kahaani hamarey Mahabharat ki, I am so so so glad that here are some people who are doing much better and are quite clear that they are not here to compare themselves with the old MB; but to depict the story in their own ways. Ofcourse nothing can beat samay's ways of taking the story forward. But kudos to the daily lessons from Krishna👏

Its interesting to see that they are telling the stories in a different manner and not blindly aping the old one; nor are they here to add too much masala. 

But the casting! oh God! it could have been better. Nothing can beat the old one though. Tell me who is there who can portray the grace, beauty, determination, attitude, arrogance and pride of Draupadi like Rupa Ganguly did! But at least find someone who is beautiful and strong enough to play the role... 
Krishna and Bhishma are well casted. Both convincing enough for the new generation I feel. Though you can see traces of the old Bhishma's style of voice and talking here😳 But no complaints at all. Good job👏 Maybe its too early to judge, considering that the most important characters so far have been depicted well.

Now, coming to Amba. I had always pictured her as a beautiful, strong minded and gracious woman. I have to say that the lady portraying her has done an okay job... But what is that posture and walk??? Shouldnt a princess be more gracious? I do not mean she needs to subdue anger. But you can still exude arrogance, attitude and graciousness all together. Like Rupa Ganguly did with Draupadi. Ratan definitely should have worked on her posture and walking too. I think her acting and dialogue delivery is all fine now though...

Though the pandavas have not yet been shown, I am so apprehensive about having Shaheer Sheikh playing Arjun! Arjun was a very handsome man. Shaheer to me seems like a boy😕 Arjun needs to exude a kind of arrogance/pride as a Kshatriya which he might not be able. He would have probably been better for the role of Krishna maybe. But I think the present Krishna is better though. And Draupadi too. Arjun-Krishna interactions form the core of the Mahabharat. And Draupadi-Krishna too. So the casting of these characters are extremely important. More so for the fact they would be compared to the actors who have played these characters in the old MB! The current Draupadi (whatever I deciphered from the title song) seems too abla-naari, bechaari types. Draupadi was not like that. Not one bit. She was fiesty! Had pride to the extent of arrogance. Cant see that

But inspite of all this, I am glad that they have managed to put up a decent show👏 Happy with the way its going and will definitely follow this Mahabharat!

Am I only one wishing for the two Bhagavat Gita Phrases in the title song?😳
Yada yada hi dharmasya glanir bhavati bharata, abhyutanam adharmasya dadaatmaanam srijamyaham.
Paritranaya saadhunam vinashayacha dushkritham dharma sanstapanarthaya sambhavami yuge yuge

May this be a lovely set of episodes for us to watch and discuss here. Hopefully from now on, we ll discuss only the story and not the casting/acting/sets/screenplay😆 These guys seem to be doing a neat job at that. Ofc, apart from missing major things like how Dhritharashtra, Pandu and Vidur were concieved/born.

Ciao😳
Edited by mnx12 - 10 years ago

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

abhi_12 thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 7
Well, of course there is no comparison to BR Chopra's Mahabharat. That was surely an epic show. The casting was just near perfect and we still remember those people in the epic Mahabharat characters. Be it the potrayal of Lord Krisna or Bhishma Pitamah or karan or Arjun or Draupadi and the others, it was beautifully done.

Coming to this show, well it is def hundred times better than that Ekta Kapoor's nonsense. I was worried that this show shouldn't turn out to be a joke and also I never expected it to be better that BR Chopra's show but it has managed to catch my eye. Some Characterizations  are really good (thou not comparable to BR Chopra's MB). I really like Parshuram, Lord Krishna, Bhishma.

I def agree with u about Amba. They could have taken someone better and same goes for Draupadi's role but I guess I can tolerate them for the sake of seeing Mahabharat again :) And hope Shaheer does justice to Arjun's role.

And yes, the title song should def have the Bhagvata Gita sholkhas.😊
Edited by Esha.. - 10 years ago
KiranlovSriti thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail Commentator 1 Thumbnail
The show itself showing the hardword behind the camra. I must say its brilliant till now. I know as story and acting's aspects old one is mileston, but this Mahabharat has a great visuality, m really hookedup wid this show.
Sabhayata thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 3

Well i have to certainly agree with you. Yes this show isn't perfect like BR chopra's was it has some flaws like pace of the story etc but despite the flaws its very entertaining and has managed to get me hooked.

No matter how many times Mahabharata is made none will ever match to BR chopra's Mahabharata because that is the original and will always remain the original and nothing can ever beat the original. No matter how many times don or agneepath is remade original don and original agneepath will always remain the best. Same with Mahabharat. So we shouldn't expect that either

As for the actors portraying the characters i dont think we should say much about actor's who are potraying pandavas or draupadi since we haven't seen them in action. Lets comment about them once we see them ,However without seeing them i can tell you no one can do draupadi like roopa ganguly did because like i said she was the original and nothing can ever beat the original. So we shouldn't look for that we should only hope that she enacts druapadi well but we shouldn't expect her to match roopa ganguly's level since that is not possible. The only think i don't agree with you is about Amba i like the way ratan has played her

Yes even i want yada yada to be in the title song or atleast in BG score because that line givens me chills.In any case looking forward to have many more Mahabharata discussions with you guys. And about the birh of dhirashtra and his blindness I guess CV's will reveal it later as a twist or something since they haven't disclosed yet that he is blind once they do they will disclose why he is blind

thegameison thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 4
Welcome to the forum, Shina. That's a very good post you've written. I agree with most of your points, and especially with the one in which you subtly tell that Ratan Rajput's depiction of Amba, to all intents and purposes, assassinated your previous idea of Amba's appearance and being. 😆 She that to me too. She acts well but she shouldn't have been given Amba's role. Shaheer Sheikh does look like a boy, but his recent pictures show that he's working on it. He's going to look like Arjuna in time. Let's just hope he does, because that character is far more important that Amba and cannot afford well, the said assassination. 😳

Bhishma and Krishna! Bhishma and Krishna! Well. Enough said. Those guys are doing a brilliant job, legendary stuff.  Satyawati has been doing a gorgeous job herself. About Draupadi, I think the actress is going to be good, really. So, that's where I dun agree with you. 

The not so good part so far has been the weird portrayal of women. Satyawati was ambition, okay. But wasn't it her father to was over-ambitious, worried about her unborn children? 😳 And they didn't show the father. Amba, I have already talked about. More would be downright painful. 🤡 And the silly modifications! For crying out loud, Vichitravirya was not a drunkard. And hadn't Bhishma already been the Yuvraj when Shantanu met Satyawati. 😕 Unnecessary. 

Anyway, what's done's done, however mental. 😆

Good stuff.

Epiphany.

Adr_Rush thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 3
It has been said numerous times that B.R.Chopra's mahabharat was good but what about us who have not seen B.R.Chopra's mahabharat?
It's just been a week guys 😆😆 so it wont be right to compare the 2 different shows on Mahabharat. B.R.Chopra's mahabharat may have been excellent 😛 but this one is also not that bad. 
They have tried a lot of new things here mainly cutting the epi's short to 128. B.R.Chopra's mahabharat will definitely be the bench mark but i am looking forward that this mahabharat may be bigger and greater than B.R.Chopra's mahabharat due to the graphics and other new changes..

"But the casting! oh God! it could have been better. Nothing can beat the old one though. Tell me who is there who can portray the grace, beauty, determination, attitude, arrogance and pride of Draupadi like Rupa Ganguly did! But at least find someone who is beautiful and strong enough to play the role... "

Coming to this we have not seen Draupadi act till now so its wrong to comment 😊

" I am so apprehensive about having Shaheer Sheikh playing Arjun! Arjun was a very handsome man. Shaheer to me seems like a boyConfused Arjun needs to exude a kind of arrogance/pride as a Kshatriya which he might not be able. He would have probably been better for the role of Krishna maybe." 
Shaheer has worked really hard for Arjun and i am sure you would love him in the role of Arjun 😳 and once again i will repeat myself we have not seen him act till now so we cant judge actors/ actress without seeing their performance.

So lets wait and watch because it's too early to comment 😊

Just my pov
nsheena thumbnail
This content was originally posted by: Esha..

Coming to this show, well it is def hundred times better than that Ekta Kapoor's nonsense. I was worried that this show shouldn't turn out to be a joke and also I never expected it to be better that BR Chopra's show but it has managed to catch my eye. Some Characterizations  are really good (thou not comparable to BR Chopra's MB). I really like Parshuram, Lord Krishna, Bhishma.

I def agree with u about Amba. They could have taken someone better and same goes for Draupadi's role but I guess I can tolerate them for the sake of seeing Mahabharat again :) And hope Shaheer does justice to Arjun's role.

After watching Balaji's version I have totally given up on expecting anything even sane😆 So this version is more than applaudable👏

But I am so happy that Krishna is perfect! and that is sooo hugely important right! Yea, I really hope Arjun is good this time😳 Major crush on that character☺️ Hopefully Arjun, Draupadi will grow on the audience...

And what pleasure to see Puneet Issar again😃 Though I d prefer him as Duryodhan. Too much wishful thinking. lol😳

This content was originally posted by: KiranlovSriti

The show itself showing the hardword behind the camra. I must say its brilliant till now. I know as story and acting's aspects old one is mileston, but this Mahabharat has a great visuality, m really hookedup wid this show.

That is one thing that these people have taken a good advantage of👏 Really beautiful setting and picturisation, this one!

This content was originally posted by: Sabhayata

Well i have to certainly agree with you. Yes this show isn't perfect like BR chopra's was it has some flaws like pace of the story etc but despite the flaws its very entertaining and has managed to get me hooked.

No matter how many times Mahabharata is made none will ever match to BR chopra's Mahabharata because that is the original and will always remain the original and nothing can ever beat the original. No matter how many times don or agneepath is remade original don and original agneepath will always remain the best. Same with Mahabharat. So we shouldn't expect that either

As for the actors portraying the characters i dont think we should say much about actor's who are potraying pandavas or draupadi since we haven't seen them in action. Lets comment about them once we see them ,However without seeing them i can tell you no one can do draupadi like roopa ganguly did because like i said she was the original and nothing can ever beat the original. So we shouldn't look for that we should only hope that she enacts druapadi well but we shouldn't expect her to match roopa ganguly's level since that is not possible. The only think i don't agree with you is about Amba i like the way ratan has played her

Yes even i want yada yada to be in the title song or atleast in BG score because that line givens me chills.In any case looking forward to have many more Mahabharata discussions with you guys. And about the birh of dhirashtra and his blindness I guess CV's will reveal it later as a twist or something since they haven't disclosed yet that he is blind once they do they will disclose why he is blind

Yea. We should get over BRC's MB and watch this with an open mind😳
Ratan has definitely done a good job on the acting front. My only complaint was her posture and way she walks. Minor gripes😆😉

Hopefully they ll put the slokas in the later episodes😳 Am particularly looking forward to the war sequences. I just hope they dont rush through them like they are doing now. Would love to see the visuals and effects and ofc, their twisted take on it😆
Edited by nsheena - 10 years ago
nsheena thumbnail
This content was originally posted by: epiphany.

Welcome to the forum, Shina. That's a very good post you've written. I agree with most of your points, and especially with the one in which you subtly tell that Ratan Rajput's depiction of Amba, to all intents and purposes, assassinated your previous idea of Amba's appearance and being. 😆 She that to me too. She acts well but she shouldn't have been given Amba's role. Shaheer Sheikh does look like a boy, but his recent pictures show that he's working on it. He's going to look like Arjuna in time. Let's just hope he does, because that character is far more important that Amba and cannot afford well, the said assassination. 😳

Bhishma and Krishna! Bhishma and Krishna! Well. Enough said. Those guys are doing a brilliant job, legendary stuff.  Satyawati has been doing a gorgeous job herself. About Draupadi, I think the actress is going to be good, really. So, that's where I dun agree with you. 

The not so good part so far has been the weird portrayal of women. Satyawati was ambition, okay. But wasn't it her father to was over-ambitious, worried about her unborn children? 😳 And they didn't show the father. Amba, I have already talked about. More would be downright painful. 🤡 And the silly modifications! For crying out loud, Vichitravirya was not a drunkard. And hadn't Bhishma already been the Yuvraj when Shantanu met Satyawati. 😕 Unnecessary. 

Anyway, what's done's done, however mental. 😆

Good stuff.

Epiphany.

Hello there😃 Thank you😳

You caught my mind voice there about Ratan😉😆 I dont have any problem with her acting as such. She is doing a good job.. Only her posture is kind of... well tom-boyish for a lack of better word😆

i forgot to mention. Satwavati, spot on casting👏 And acting too. Maybe her depiction is not correct, but according to this depiction, she is really doing a good job. That sultry beauty is perfect. She looks the part of the Matsya Raj's Kanya.

This guys are def taking a different route. Twisting or rather digging into told/untold stories😆. But then again its ok. Cause they are not really sabotaging the essence much. So something different to look forward to😳 But yea, showing Vichitravirya as a drunkard and omitting Ved Vyaas details is a too much!

This content was originally posted by: shamya_for_life

It has been said numerous times that B.R.Chopra's mahabharat was good but what about us who have not seen B.R.Chopra's mahabharat?

It's just been a week guys 😆😆 so it wont be right to compare the 2 different shows on Mahabharat. B.R.Chopra's mahabharat may have been excellent 😛 but this one is also not that bad. 
They have tried a lot of new things here mainly cutting the epi's short to 128. B.R.Chopra's mahabharat will definitely be the bench mark but i am looking forward that this mahabharat may be bigger and greater than B.R.Chopra's mahabharat due to the graphics and other new changes..

Shaheer has worked really hard for Arjun and i am sure you would love him in the role of Arjun 😳 and once again i will repeat myself we have not seen him act till now so we cant judge actors/ actress without seeing their performance.

So lets wait and watch because it's too early to comment 😊

Just my pov

I have stopped trying to compare. And it is not fair to compare too I guess. The first one would always hold a special place😳 More so cause it was awesome!

My only complaint is my personal rendezvous with Shaheer. I remember seeing this guy on a disney show that my small cousins used to watch😆 Like you said, am sure he is working hard on this role and hopefully would be good. I would be glad to be proven wrong about this😳
Edited by nsheena - 10 years ago
ek_aarzoo thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail
Hey did talk about how the 3 were conceived...Thru Niyog...It was thru a span of two episodes. Each rani had a son and so did the dasi...
nsheena thumbnail
This content was originally posted by: ek_aarzoo

Hey did talk about how the 3 were conceived...Thru Niyog...It was thru a span of two episodes. Each rani had a son and so did the dasi...

They did, but it was equally important to know why dhritarashtra was born blind and why the dasi also concieved right... The fact that dhritarashtra was blind was the entire root for his jealousy... And this jealousy a major factor in lagging the foundation for kurukshetra. That his younger bro got the throne because of that, and he felt he was wronged and that is why he justified himself for agreeing to his duryodhan s every unreasonable demand and getting convinced by shakuni!