YMLH-Growing Interest of Youth in Films!

•  
  • Page of 1 Go
  •  
Posted: 18 years ago

The show Yeh Meri Life hai, reflects the dreams of a middle class girl, and how her life goes through major changes. We see many social conflicts which can be highlighted and discussed in the show. Therefore, the Mods and Viewbies of YMLH forum have decided to discuss these topics in details with the members of this forum. We hope you will all participate and enlighten the forum with your views and opinions.

This week's topic is:

What is your opinion on the youth's growing interest in film industry?

Bollywood has influenced young people in many South Asian countries to the extent that students bunk [cut] their classes to go and watch films. Many young guys and girls idolize popular actors and actresses. More generally, the problem exists outside of South Asia as well. Popular magazines flaunt their covers with beautiful and rich celebrities- their pages contain stories about the lives of the rich and famous. This leads up to teenagers and adults desiring to be just like their favorite star, even if it means taking up desperate measures.

Is such an interest or to put it more radically, obsession, with the film industry a healthy thing? Should we consider movie stars as our idols? Ye Meri Life Hai's main protagonist dreamed of becoming a director. Her life centered around her dream early on in the show. But did she make the right decision? Was it right for her to make films such an integral and important part of her life?

Off to you and your views!

My opinion is that we do pay way more attention to the film industry than our own lives, Pooja was a simple girl with many big dreams and i personally like the way they have turned the serial around although i wish it was more based upon her character and not so much Ashmits character, I mean not everyone will be a successful director or film star and you need to take advantage of life at the moment becasue we are never promised a tomorrow.

We feed the media with attention and that is why they are able to make such money on us, we are the ones that idolize ppl like Rani Mukerjee and Shah rukh because we often believe we may become them and or meet them, the industry is also becoming more diverse and we no londer see films such as Sholay and Satyam Shivam Sundaram, movies which were created so beautifully and now we have Salman with his shirt off and Bipasha dancing around half naked jirating on top of John, so the younger crowd is drawn to that becasue they believe that one day they can become that and thats wrong.

I certainly believe that we should watch our bollywood cinema but also ground it with some heavy reality becasue everything we see is perfect. Everyone has a flaw and everyone is not as easy as it sounds. If you think that Shah Rukh never gets p***les your are wrong, if you think Priyanka Chopra never feels like pigging out on junk food you are wrong and its the media that makes us believe that it is the complete opposite.

So i love Bollywood cinema and although I absolutely idolize Karisma Kapoor perfusely, I in no way believe she can affect me in my everyday life the way that my parents and friends can, i believe she is an amazing artist and encourage her to give us great entertainment.

Thanks for listening.

The youth is attracted by Bollywood prospects but they must know it is not every one's cup of tea.You need a god father to launch you. There are casting couches for girls.Better take it as an entertainment and escapism.Yes, we do need to escape from realities of hard life and Tellywood-bollywood provide escape routes.

If one is serious the best way is to join Film Institute or Namit kapoor's acting school.Get experience by entering some stage plays with minor roles.But always remember the fantasy world of movies has not every thing rosy.

ayush_ki_pari and vasamv:

You both made some excellent points about the film industry not being 'everyone's cup of tea'.  Its true that not everyone can achieve their dreams, especially hefty ones such as making a mark in Bollywood. Maybe as viewers, we expect too much of Pooja's character and get overcritical (something I tend to do often) But I do wish the show would try to focus more on Pooja's character instead of Maya or Inder's. She had the opporunities early on to achieve her dreams but I guess everything in life doesn't happen as planned. Let's see what happens in the upcoming episodes. Maybe Pooja will get a second chance. She def has the potential as was shown in the early episodes (St Martins debate competition, Karan Johar project,  the theme assignment) I respected her early on for following her dreams despite parental opposite, esp in an unconventional field such as filmmaking. Its no easy goal and I really want to see her succeed.

Thanks for sharing your views guys. They were great.