***M Night Shyamalan Fan Club*** - Page 12

Posted: 17 years ago
"No shooting friends, Joseph!"

"Now that we know who you are, I know who I am."

Edited by xen10 - 17 years ago
"I'm gonna ask you a question, and it's going to sound a little weird, so just think about it. Do you remember me ever being sick?"
"I, I don't, I can't remember..."
"Not one cold, one fever, one headache. Don't you think that's a little weird? What do you think it means?"

"I thought maybe because you're my dad... I thought I might be like you... I'm not like you..."
"You are like me. We can both get hurt. I'm just an ordinary man."
"No, you're not... Why do you keep saying that?"

hey you got for unbreakable also. first i'll write for sixth sense
people smiling, dogs running, rainbows. They don't have meetings about rainbows." 😆 😆

this one is good.
Pictures of Unbreakable

Buried Secret of M. Night Shyamalan

By Michael R. Farkash

Bottom line: A mockumentary profile of filmmaker M. Night Shyamalan has its wild moments, but the hoax is far too repetitive.

One of the most outrageous profiles -- and hoaxes -- of a film personality has surfaced on Sci Fi Channel, as the director of "The Sixth Sense" and "Signs" is "linked" directly to the supernatural.

Made with the help of the profile subject, the three-hour report on M. Night Shyamalan paints him as a strange, controlling dude who allegedly has a pipeline to the world of ghosts and magic. It's an inventive, highly melodramatic and needlessly repetitive docu tracing the route into Shyamalan's apparently strange past. The topical connection is the upcoming release of the director's latest film, "The Village."

Viewers might wonder who's kidding whom in "The Buried Secret of M. Night Shyamalan." An over-the-top mockumentary like "This Is Spinal Tap" sails because it's funny in its own right, but "Secret" falls flat much of the time.

The photography is crisp and evocatively spooky, the music is appropriately eerie, but at three hours, it's much too much, as docu director Nathaniel Kahn endlessly covers his own research into the subject and even includes several conferences with Sci Fi execs who fret about the direction the docu is taking.

Sci Fi Channel admitted that the profile was a hoax before the broadcast, although earlier press releases promised that a "secret" about Shyamalan would be revealed.

It would have been much more interesting to go with a standard profile and learn more about the director's philosophy as well as seeing more clips of his projects and interviews with the actors involved.

In the mockumentary, we see Kahn frustrated by the film director's desire to control interviews and access to his close friends. Playing an extremely volatile individual when it came to questions that are not on the "approved list," Shyamalan cuts interviews short or fails to show up for scheduled meetings. Kahn's methods include unabashed tabloid journalism, misrepresenting himself to sources in order to uncover the "truth" of Shyamalan's history.

Delving into apparent fantasy as much as any of Shyamalan's films, the report gives us snippets that suggest the director has seen "dead people," that he shares characteristics with traditional shamans and that when he's displeased, the audio portion of the tape malfunctions.

Kahn interviews actor Johnny Depp, who failed to land a part in one of the director's films. Depp tells Kahn that things were just too weird, as Shyamalan tried to get him to sign nondisclosure agreements and to memorize stock responses to reporters' questions. Soon, "The Village" cast member Adrien Brody comes up with one of these stock responses, cementing the idea that Shyamalan is masterminding everything involved with his production.

This should be great publicity for "The Village," which hits theaters July 30.

THE BURIED SECRET OF M. NIGHT SHYAMALAN
Sci Fi Channel

Credits:
Executive producer: Stephen Hillenger
Co-executive producer: Luis Rodriguez
Director: Nathaniel Kahn
Producer: Callum Greene
Associate producer: Geoff Garrett
Director of photography: Bob Richman
Editors: Geraldine Peroni, Brad Fuller
Music: Jeff Beal
Production supervisor: Jen Wall