TSZTSA Articles Archives-No Comments

Posted: 17 years ago

This section will contain only articles related to the show Thodi Si Zameen Thoda Sa Aasmaan.

Please don't post any commentslike 'thanks', 't4s' over here.

Smriti Irani's flying blues

Smriti Irani

Amidst the Heathrow bomb scare, and subsequent tightening of security at various airports, actor Smriti Irani flew to London to attend the Sky Festival.

Back home in Mumbai, Smriti shares her experience of the tour. "People thought I was mad to visit London amidst the bomb threats. But both the security personnel and the passengers were co-operative. Life goes on and we can't sit idle at home. As I boarded the flight, there was confusion while settling down. To my surprise the flight was packed with passengers," says Smriti.  

Recalling the entire security procedure at the Mumbai airport, Smriti further adds, "It was tough, but thankfully, I had warned my entire crew to come prepared. So, things were relatively easy as we towed the line and did not carry any hand baggage or liquid material with us. However instead of one security check, we had to undergo three security checks before we alighted. They also checked our footwear, which they have never done before."

However, it wasn't smooth sailing for Smriti on reaching London. She says, "In the UK, people are not used to such a detailed scrutiny. We had to wait for one hour in the queue before we could head for the security check. They were strict and two of my crew members lost their baggage. There were several such passengers complaining about their lost bags. The security people were creating a great ruckus over passengers carrying anything liquid. Aditya and Afzal from Star India were constantly in touch with us over the phone. Since they had already informed some people back in London about our arrival it smoothened the process and at the end of the day, we all managed fine." But the excessive scrutiny and harrowing airport wait did not dampen the spirit of the festival. "We were all charged up and the show was brilliant. We performed to a packed house. So, I guess it was worth the trouble,"she informs.

Edited by Manoj_Tina fan - 17 years ago
From ba to babe will Smriti be accepted?

While most actors are hopeful of playing younger roles even after sporting grey hair onscreen, producers think otherwise, finds Deepali Dhingra

If there is one thing that actors in television serials fear these days, it is the idea of a generation leap. Along with applying whitener in their hair and putting wrinkles on their face and appearing in front of the audience, there is a lurking apprehension that they might not be approached for younger roles again. But are their fears for real?
   "To some extent, yes," says director Ajai Sinha, whose serial Astitva saw Niki Aneja and Varun Badola play older characters as the serial neared its end. "Actors do fear not being approached for younger roles after they have been seen playing older characters but I believe that it is the actor's capacity that should matter. Producers and directors have to change their mindset," he says. Agrees producer Manish Goswami, "If an older character becomes popular with the audience, then it gets fixed in their mind. When we decide to cast them, then there is definitely an apprehension in our minds if the audience will accept them in a younger role again," he says.
   Juhi Parmar, who's supposed to be a mother of a married man in Kumkum on Star Plus, but whose hair is still as black as she was when she was 20, put her foot down when the production house asked her to apply whitener to her hair. "Thankfully, they understood. I think it looks forced and overdone if we're made to look old. I feel that old age can be shown through a change in body language as well," she defends her decision. But Juhi admits, that behind this refusal to look old, is the fear that they will be typecast in the older role category. "When I'm 45, I will anyways get those roles. At the moment, I would like to play my age and that's the reason, I need to look my age on TV," she adds.
   However, there are some who have had no qualms about donning 'older' gear. Smriti Iraani, the much loved Tulsi of Star Plus' Kyunki Saas Bhi Kabhi Bahu Thi might have aged to thrice her real age on the serial, but she has recently signed on a new show where she will play a 27-year-old. Was Smriti ever apprehensive about the old look? "There were times when I used to ask my make-up man to add more wrinkles to my face, so that should answer your question,"  she laughs.
   Actor Varun Badola says that there was no apprehension on his part to grey in Astitva as it went with the progression of the story. But did he face any problem getting roles which did not ask him to apply whitener? "Even before Astitva ended, I was offered Ek Chaabi Pados Mein and Arranged Marriage, where I play my age." he clarifies. Says producer Shrishti Arya, "I think producers need to develop the right attitude and learn to have their own vision of an actor."

Uma Di on Raksha Bandhan

Wishing you a Happy Raksha Bandhan is Tulsi a.k.a Smriti Irani, who is soon to be in your homes as Uma Didi. Here she shares and wishes all her fans, and welcomes you to watch her new show!

indya: Hi all! A very good morning to all you indyans gathered out there for the online special chat! Celebrating the spirit of Raksha Bandhan, indya.com brings you two special chats!

indya: Hi Smriti and welcome to the chat on indya.com! Nice to have you with us today!
kkavybarsaat: Hi Smriti my name is Gurleen, I am 10 years old I am your biggest fan and so is my brother who is only 5 years old, we love you! I cannot wait till your next serial… Happy Rakhi from Canada.
smritiirani: Hi Gurleen, my best wishes for you and your entire family for this Raksha Bandan, I'm delighted that a ten year old can find space for me in your lives, wish you and your brother a world of happiness and togetherness on this auspicious occasion, hope you like my coming series as much as you like me as Tulsi in Kyunki…
asdfgf_4729: Do you have any brother and how are you celebrating Raksha Bandhan?
smritiirani: I don't have a brother, I indulge with my son and daughter, I see their camaraderie and wish I did have someone to share Rakhi with!
guest46: How does it feel to be Uma Didi after being Tulsi for so long?
smritiirani: Its a new experience, a new challenge, I look for to it, there is smile on my face and I look forward every day's shoot , this show gives me an opportunity to showcase a new side to my craft.
calcutta_sweta: Smriti, Sweta here , who is your moral support and a Happy Raksha Bandhan?
smritiirani: Thank you, wish you too. My family is my support!
calcutta_sweta: Smriti, can you tell us about your family?
smritiirani: I am married to Zubin Irani, I am a mother of two, as I grow older, I just hope I'm as beautiful a mother, aunt and grand mother as I'm in my television soap.
guest52: Smriti, I watch your show every single day and I want to be like Tulsi too... I seriously admire you and your acting and I can't wait to watch Uma Didi.
smritiirani: My heart felt thanks to you, that's a lovely compliment, I hope I do justice to the role. Most importantly, we should look up to people amongst our family as they are our real support.
siddharthatri: Smritiji can I be your brother from now onwards?
smritiirani: Of course!, Siddharth, its nice of you to offer to step in!
asdfgf_4729: Why doesn't the new serial Thodi Si Zameen Thoda Sa Aasma made in coordination with Ekta Kapoor, not starting with letter 'K'?
smritiirani: It's a title I suggested keeping in mind hopes, aspiration and freedom of middle class families in independent India, I thought the title was more suitable, and thankfully Ekta agreed!
calcutta_sweta: Smriti, which Mihir was good working with?
smritiirani: I have always believed in being honest as honestly is the best policy, so I should avoid answering this question!
calcutta_sweta: Smriti, which was your first project and how was your experience that time and what was the reaction of your family?
smritiirani: I like the on going series of Kyunki…, I get lots of adulations and respect from my fans. For any female professional to get that kind of respect at work is the best feeling!
ghu1993: I'm an actress in Orissa, I am 13 years old and I'm eager to act in Ekta Didi's soaps... And I want your wishes
smritiirani: Best wishes on your ambition, but I would suggest you to pursue your education now as a strong education foundation equips you for the best in any profession!
guest42:  Who do you like the most out of all your sons in Kyunki? Karan, Gautam, Harsh or Sahil (like a son)?
smritiirani: As an individual I have a history with each of them, Karan is married to Gauri (my batch mate in college), Gautam was my batch mate at school, I have had a long and good working relation with Sahil and Harsh. As mother and son relationship in Kyunki, there is one pair that is most and I would say Tulsi and Karan!
asdfgf_4729: When will you come back to Mihir and throw out the idiotic Meera?
smritiirani: With Meera looking prettier by the day, do you honestly think Tulsi has a chance of coming back?
calcutta_sweta: Smriti tell us something which we don't know about you?
smritiirani: I'm a very private person irrespective of being in public life, I've ensured to stay private as that's the least I owe my friends and family.
asdfgf_4729: How do you describe success in your life?
smritiirani: I would not judge success as per how big a house or how many cars one has, I would rather think that successful person is one who invests time, effort and love in his or her relationships, because that's one investment that gives you the best returns, only those with these returns are truly successful.
indya:  Thanks Smriti for joining us on the chat. All the very best at your new venture! Any message for your fans before we leave...
smritiirani: I can hope and pray that we can bond as one unit, one family and one country! Happy you all a very Raksha Bandhan!  
indya: Thanks a lot! We loved it! I am sure your fans there feel the same too!
indya: Ok that was Smriti Irani on the chat on the new looking indya.com!

'Schizo' Om marries Tulsi

shades of insanity: Kiran Karmarkar

Thodi Si Zameen Thoda Sa Aasman will have Kiran Karmarkar playing a mentally imbalanced man
Upala KBR
[email protected]

In a casting coup of sorts, Balaji Telefilms has brought two of the biggest stars in their stables together in one big serial. Smriti Iraani (Tulsi of Kyunki Saas Bhi Kabhi Bahu Thi) and Kiran Karmarkar (Om of Kahaani Ghar Ghar Kii) will play a married couple in Balaji's latest show Thodi Si Zameen Thoda Sa Aasman.
Jaggu's no show
As reported by HiTLIST earlier this month, Jackie Shroff was approached to play the lead role opposite Smriti for the show. Says Nivedita Basu, the creative supervisor of the show, "There were three contenders for this role, and Jackie was one of them. Our other two choices were Kiran and Amarr Upadhyay. We have finalised Kiran to play Sudhanshu Jajodia because he is a hardcore performer. That's what the role requires. It's the story of a brilliant but mentally imbalanced person dealing with schizophrenia."
That sounds quite similar to John Nash's character in the Oscar-nominated A Beautiful Mind. "Yes, Kiran's character is somewhat similar to Russell Crowe's in A Beautiful Mind," says Basu.
As for the reasons why Jackie isn't doing the show anymore, Basu adds, "A star doesn't add much value to a television show, especially if it's a performance-oriented role. Kiran is very talented. Also, he is more popular with the masses after his stint as Om."
Dual dilemma
Written by Kamlesh Pandey (who co-wrote Rang De Basanti), Thodi Si Zameen Thoda Sa Aasman is the story of Uma didi (Smriti Iraani) – a girl from a family of mill workers – and her fight against the upper class when she gets married into a rich family.
Basu admits that this is quite a departure from the usual saas-bahu sagas that have become a hallmark of Balaji Telefilms. "The packaging is definitely different and unusual. It's about what Uma stands for after tragedy strikes her family and the mills get shut down. The mills get turned into clubs, but what happens to the families who are jobless? It's about Uma's dilemma — should she stand up for her kin or the Jajodia family that she's married into?"
Adds Bharvi Shah, the creative director of the show, "Thodi Si Zameen Thoda Sa Aasman is the story of the Aptes and the Jajodias. Since it will air on Star Plus on Saturdays and Sundays starting August, viewers will now get to see Smriti Iraani seven days a week at 10.30 pm!"

the crusader lives on: Smriti Iraani
Tulsi-Payal face-off in Thodi Si Zameen...???

She has built up a reputation as a meanie in shows such as Kyunki. Jaya 'Payal' Bhattacharya spent many an episode during that show trying to make things difficult for her sworn enemy Smriti 'Tulsi' Iraani. Now she is making a comeback on screen with Smriti; the difference, she will be playing a goody good character. The show: the long talked about Thodi Si Zameen Thoda Sa Asma, which is making its debut on 19 August on Star Plus. Jaya will be playing the role of Pooja who is another close friend of Uma Devi aka Smriti Iraani (Tellychakkar.com had earlier revealed that Rajesh 'Roshesh' Kumar's wife Maddhvi, will be playing buddy to Uma didi in the show. )

"It's after long time that I have got to play a character which is normal, realistic and not larger than life. " Jaya Bhattacharya

Jaya's character Pooja is a married woman whose husband is an alcoholic. He harasses her, takes away her hard earned money to quench his thirst for the bottle. She is a confidante of Smriti who is a middle class girl.

"I play a very bubbly and lively character, who will go out of the way to help others in times of crisis, but when it comes to her own problems she is absolutely clueless on a solution. In the serial I am a side artist of a dance troupe, who makes ends meet by dancing in films. Uma didi and I are close friends. Even though I am married to a guy who is absolutely good for nothing, yet I continue with the marriage because it provides social security and besides it was a love marriage. My character projects the attitude of a typical middle class married woman," explains Jaya.

What's different this time for Jaya is also the fact that she will be playing a character closer to her age, "It's after long time that I have got to play a character which is normal, realistic and not larger than life. Besides I get to be myself without having to don a grey hair wig. That is the primary reason that I opted to be a part of the show," she says excitedly.

My family my world: Smriti Irani

A compulsive channel surfer once told us that she finds it impossible to switch channels when Tulsi Virani 'lectured' her erring kin in Kyunki  Saas Bhi Kabhi Bahu Thi.

"It always feels good to hear Tulsi's sermons", she said. Smriti Iraani who essays the role of Tulsi is equally captivating in person. Never at a loss for words, Smriti seamlessly moves between her roles as actor, daughter, homemaker, mother, politi cian though not necessarily in that order. The 30-something actor is now co-producing her first serial (she has produced plays though) Thodi Si Zameen Tho da Sa Aasmaan with Ekta Kapoor premiering this weekend on Star Plus.

For someone who was once written off by the family astrologer, as "no good except to be married off," Smriti hasn't done too badly for herself "without doing any hanky panky."

A screen role that has etched her name in the history of Indian television, a rising socio-political career and a "successful marriage, three lovely children and my audience which keep me afloat."

In her new serial, she plays Uma, a middle-class girl living in a chawl and interestingly the character will help her break away from the image of the 65-year-old Tulsi.

The serial will be a realistic take at issues at how the shutting of a mill affects people. What are her expectations from the serial?

"The channel has given us a weekend slot and I certainly hope my serial gets more TRPs for that slot than it is getting now. We have some very good actors from theatre, TV and films and I don't want to let them down."

Coming to her family, she says initially it was all about making her parents and then her husband Zubin proud. "But now I want to leave a legacy behind me for my kids and make them proud of me. I have worked hard to be where I am and I can't let people around me down. I can't hang up my boots yet. I don't want to be a Jackof-all-trades but the master too."

Ask her if she's for real and she smiles faintly. We have heard stories labeling her an insecure person, who's not devoid of human frailties, like jealousy? "I'd be jealous only if a gorgeous woman looked at Zubin. I am honest to myself. It's not a mask I wear. I don't think it's possible for anybody to put on an act all the time. Anybody will catch it and I credit the person talking to me, meeting me with that much intelligence."

Surprisingly she still shares a good equation with Ekta considering there are very few actors who have survived Balaji for sixseven years. Maybe that's because Smriti has high regard for Ekta's mother Shobha. She says, "Shobha aunty helped me get a toehold in the industry. And when she heard the script of Thodi Si  she said 'Let's do it together'."

The downside of being famous? "When others use it to make their own. I have gone through some really trying times in the past two years in my public life and the most difficult thing has been not to carry it home. I am calmer now. It's neither the trophies for your serials nor the work you do in your constituency that matter as much as it's the unconditional love I share with my husband.

Family or career? "Family, always," says the quintessential prime time bahu! Smriti in the Sky Smriti recently staged her Hindi play Kuch Tum Kaho Kuch Hum Kahein at Manchester as part of the annual Sky festival in the UK.

"I represented Star Plus which represented Asia at the festival. I met my fans from India, Pakistan, Bangladesh and even Somalia where they show Kyunki Saas Bhi Kabhi Bahu Thi with subtitles.

Her portrayal of Tulsi in the serial Kyunki Saas Bhi Kabhi Bahu Thi has come under fire from media and critics circles for presenting a regressive image of the Indian women. Television actor, and now politician, Smriti Irani, whose portrayal of Tulsi has made her an icon of every housewife in India, however, believes that the persona of Tulsi in Kyunki Saas Bhi Kabhi bahu Thi is very much in tune with reality rather than being overtly melodramatic. ''Tulsi has many qualities that make her in many ways a modern woman. For example, as one sees Tulsi today, she is a woman totally in charge of her life and things around her. For example, mine is one of the few aged characters on television to appear on the small screen with grey hair after the recent 20-year leap in Kyunki Saas Bhi Kabhi Bahu Thi, something which I cannot say about many other 50 plus characters on television today'' Smriti told UNI in an interview.

''Infact, after the latest generation leap, Ekta wanted me to appear with black hair arguing that nowadays all aged people dye their hair. However, I stood my ground and demanded to have my hair greyed even though other characters like Meera in the serial are said to sport black hair and wear designer sarees. This is because I believe in being realistic within the parameters of the script,''Smriti said. Infact, she reveals that the "asserting woman" persona of Tulsi that one comes across on the small screen today has a lot to do with the constant improvisations in the portrayal of the character she made while on the sets, thus resulting in the character turning out quite different from what it was originally envisaged by the producer Ekta Kapoor.

''Tulsi was originally visualised as this typically melodramatic character who is always weeping at her misfortunes. However, while the traditional way of living and the basic Indianness inherent in the character of Tulsi is Ekta Kapoor's idea, the assertive and the 'woman in control' persona of the character that comes across on screen is largely due to the constant improvisations made by me in terms of making her mouth dialogues different from what the producer had originally chosen for her, something which often bugged Ekta,''Smriti said.

Carrying her penchant for reality a little further, Smriti will now appear as a yoing middle class girl in her new serial 'Thodi Si Zamin Thoda Aasman' which has her, for the first time, don hat as a producer along with Ekta Kapoor. Scheduled to be telecast on Star Plus from August 19, 'Thodi Si Zamin Thoda Sa Aasman' has Smriti Irani play a young girl Uma, a 27-year-old obedient daughter of a mill worker who undertakes several jobs to run the family after his mill shuts down. The character of Uma is in the centrestage, as she is looked up as a source of constant inspiration and driving force for the chawl people who draw their strength and reason to live from her indomitable spirit.

''Thodi Si Zameen Thoda Sa Aasman signifies two important things. While 'Zameen' is the root of a person without which all else seems meaningless, 'Aasman' is a sign of hopes and freedom to live one's dreams. So, while the protagonist Uma has close connection to her roots and wants a place which she can call her home, at the same time she also craves for some space of her own; to pursue her dreams,''Smriti said. According to Smriti, even though Ekta Kapoor was co-producing the show, it would be quite different from Kyunki Saas Bhi Kabhi Bahu Thi.

''It is a show very much in tune with reality though it will definitely have the Ekta Kapoor touch. Set in a middle class 'chawl', the serial deals with the trials and tribulations of a common man's everyday life. Also, the protagonist Uma is not your "typically melodramatic character with well-put together make up". As a person, Uma is well aware of the practicalities of life but will not allow them to stop her from dreaming,''Smriti said.

To be telecast on Saturdays and Sundays at 2230 hrs, 'Thodi Si Zameen' features some of the popular and seasoned actors of the samll screen like Harsh Chaya, Vidya SInha, Pawan Shankar, Jaya Bhattacharya and Sanjit Bedi, to name a few. The story and screenplay of the serial is done by Kamlesh Pandey, the acclaimed writer behind 'Rang De Basanti' and 'Tezaab' while it has been directed by Santram Verma.

Asked whether, as a producer, she would not have wanted to go for "something different", Smriti said,''though I was in talks with Star for producing another show, when Ekta Kapoor suggested that I produce my first big venture with them, I could not refuse her as she is the one who gave me the big break with the role of Tulsi. Having come up the hard way in life, I cannot, as a producer, gamble with someone else's money. Hence, I refrain from doing something drastically different. In any case, these many so called "different serials" begin with a bang but viewers lose interest in them after a point of time. In contrast, Kyunki Saas Bhi Kabhi Bahu Thi is as popular today as it was earlier. Infact, it is the only serial which has withstood the test of popularity despite two generation leaps, something no serial has been able to do in recent times.'' But what about social responsibility and giving a social message through a TV serial, one wonders.

''All said and done, every serial is about TRPs. In any case, one cannot expect values and ideals in society to be changed by a TV serial. If that were the case, killings in society would have come to a stop after telecast of serials like 'Ramayana' and 'Mahabharata'. Changes in society can only be brought about on the ground level by giving one's children the right kind of upbringing'' she said.

Smriti loses weight 

Smriti Irani has reasons to rejoice. Seems like her character Tulsi Virani is all set to get some action in life, as she returns to Shantiniketan after almost 20 years of vanvaas, in Star Plus' Kyunki Saas Bhi Kabhi Bahu Thi... And guess what, the lady's looking thinner on the show these days. Is it because of her serialThodi Si Zameen Thoda Sa Aasmaan on Star Plus where she's playing a 27-year-old? Whatever the reason, it's sure working for her!

Pawan Shankar enters Balaji camp

Pawan Shankar
Pawan Shankar is playing a meaningful role once again. He will soon be seen in Ekta Kapoor's new show 'Thoda si Zameen, Thoda Sa Aasman', on Star Plus, which boasts of a realistic storyline based on trade unions, written by acclaimed Rang De Basanti writer, Kamlesh Pandey. Co-produced by Smriti Irani, Pawan plays a trade union leader named Sanjay Apte who goes through the regular trials and tribulations in the affairs of trade unions. The story is seemingly different from the regular Balaji fare of larger than life sets and emotional dramas, and promises to portray sets, and situations as realistic as possible.

Pawan Shankar's latest role is a follow up to his brilliant performance in Emmy nominated 'Siddhant' on Star One. Currently starring in Sony's 'Aisa Desh Hai Mera', he is thrilled to be playing a meaningful character once again with this show promising to set new benchmarks for Indian television. The show will air from 19th August on Saturdays and Sundays at 10.30 pm. Let us hope this shift in concept from Television Queen Ekta Kapoor sets a new wave for the Indian small screen.