All the discussions about old Mahabharata here only[DT NOTE - page 98] - Page 2

Posted: 10 years ago
i watched when i was young and now i have dvds of old mahabharat it is an iconic show and lot of expectation from this new one also 
i watched as a little girl. though we are from tamilnadu and the show was in hindi, the language was no barrier. i remember there was a tamil weekly which printed the dialogues in tamil every week and the bustle at home to read it before the show started. it was a iconic show. still i m excited to watch the new one with all the promos which have been mindblowing
Originally posted by shruthi2010

i watched as a little girl. though we are from tamilnadu and the show was in hindi, the language was no barrier. i remember there was a tamil weekly which printed the dialogues in tamil every week and the bustle at home to read it before the show started. it was a iconic show. still i m excited to watch the new one with all the promos which have been mindblowing

Oh yeah I remember this now, the dialogues used to come printed on a Tamil daily. The title song was something which I cannot forget even now. And the credit song used to show clippings of that episode like a recap.
Yeah, I saw BRC Mahabharata, and I absolutely loathed it for not just the liberties they took w/ the story, but for using that as a platform to project their own political views.

Small example - Dhritarashtra's dividing the kingdom is held up as an unpardonable sin in that serial.  Sorry, that's just bovine excrement.  At that time, it was not unusual for kings to make different sons rulers of different kingdoms - Yayati did that, Pururava (husband of Urvashi) did that, and so on.  What Dhritarashtra did was fine - the problem was Duryodhan trying to usurp Indraprastha, and thereby setting the stage for the war.

That's just one small example: there are a gazillion others.

P.S.  One small request to everybody - while discussing the Mahabharata, please let us discuss this serial and the original text by Vyasa, which is linked in the Archives Mansion, and compare them for accuracy.  But please do not bring up BRC's serial in the discussions.  Thanks.
I have watched the first few episodes of the old Mahabharata, yes. I wasn't even born when it originally ran. I caught up with the said episodes on Star Utsav last year. Also, I watched the first few episodes's of Ekta Kapoor's Kahaani Mahabharata Ki. After which, the channel itself sorta went off. ðŸ¤¡
It aired twice on DD, once when it started, later a rerun, and they are uploaded on YT in full. No one can beat the old one, but the new one seems promising.
I watched it a few years back on YouTube. Rajshri has uploaded all the episodes of the old Mahabharata. That was EPIC. Everything was so damn good. I don't mean to compare, but I can't help it. I really hope this one lives up to it/does better than the old one.
Really looking fwd to tomorrow :)

Mahabharat by BR Chopra was a masterpiece of Indian Television. I have watched it twice over. Though technology wasn't too developed that time, I never saw a single glitch in the technical aspects. The story was flawlessly portrayed.
All the actors fitted their characters beautifully. I remember liking Krishna played by Nitish Bharadwaj as my favourite. Nitish had become such a fever that people would touch his feet thinking he is real Krishna. His charming smile and honey dipped voice made him fit into Krishna's character effortlessly.
Mukesh Khanna as Bheeshma was iconic. I still call him Bheeshma :).
Roopa Ganguly was the beautiful Draupadi. All the Pandavas were portrayed so well, and so was Karna.

It is inevitable for us seniors generations to compare the new Mahabharat with the old. But I hope to see it in new light, as the promos look promising.
@Vrish

I agree with you that this show should be judged based on Vyasa's text if story is concerned.

BRC's show was a show after all and they took whatever liberty they wanted.

If at all comparisons might there it could be over actors and performances. But comparisons are best avoided.

I am sure this version is also going to take lot more creative liberties.
No, i didnt watch, i ws too small that tym, my family use to watch every sunday together!