Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

mythili2 thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 2
Posted: 10 years ago
@snow kid (sorry I dnt kw ur name) yeah even I thought tat it was satyavati s father..even the old Mahabharat showed it was her father nly..bt got confused by the promo.. so wanted to kw wat s written in the puranas.. thanks😊Edited by mythili2 - 10 years ago
jayvenk thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail
Satyavati is the second wife of Shantanu, and she marries him on the condition that her children are given the right of the throne. [ I personally would like to believe she is the one who asks for the promise]
In some versions her father is the one who put in his condition.
Bhishma takes vow of bhramachrya . he is the one who approaches stayvati's father and gives his promise. he is Devarata before he gives his promise.
Satyavati was highly inteligent but unfortunately her methods to achieving the goals were well questionable.
but then we would not have had an epic called mahabarata if not for her.

Edited by jayvenk - 10 years ago
varaali thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 2
Originally posted by: mythili2

Nice thread.. Mahabharat s my favorite epic will b very happy to learn more through this thread. .😊

Hehe will start with my doubt ..is it satyavati who wanted her sons to b the kings or was it her father? I always thought that it was satyavati s father who keeps the condition b4 king shantanu but the promo confused me a little. . Can any1 plz explain me ..πŸ˜ƒ

When Shantanu approached Matsyagandha's (that was Satyavati's name before marriage) father, it was Matsya's father who put the precondition that his daughter's sons should be the future rulers of Hastinapura.

However, earlier on, when Sage Parashara wanted to have relations with Matsyagandha, she herself asked the Sage to ensure that should a son be born of their union, he should be wise, intelligent, and as learned as Parashara himslef. She also asks that should not be blamed for having a child out of wedlock- not should the child be branded as illegitimate. Parashara assures her that he will return and assume the responsibility of their son.

I haven't seen the promo- so I am not sure if Satyavati (or Matsyagandha- as she would have been called at that time) is talking to Shantanu or Parashara
mythili2 thumbnail
Originally posted by: jayvenk

Satyavati is the second wife of Shantanu, and she marries him on the condition that her children are given the right of the throne.
Satyavati was highly inteligent but unfortunately her methods to achieving the goals were well questionable.
but then we would not have had an epic called mahabarata if not for her.

thank u  so much😊

Adr_Rush thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 3
thanks for the detailed info @varaali 😊
jayvenk thumbnail
Vyasa is the first born of satyavati, I too have not seen the promo.
Her body is changed by Parashara instead of smelling of fish she smells of musk.

Arijit007 thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail Networker 1 Thumbnail
jaya, swaagatam, suswaagatam.
mythili2 thumbnail
Thank u so much varaali fr clarifying. . :)
varaali thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 2
Originally posted by: Arijit007

jaya, swaagatam, suswaagatam.

mere liye koi swagatam nahi? πŸ˜• πŸ˜†
jayvenk thumbnail
varaali u never left ,,, u were here only na. and hence arijit saying stuff lolz... i have been gone for more than 3 months i think .
glad to see all of u varaali.. some great arguments and discussions and fun stuff please
Scope for some really amusement too what with so many characters.