Mythological Masti

Faithfulness OR dereliction of duty!? - Page 2

Poll

Gandhari's act of blindfolding her own eyes symbolizes.....

Poll Choice
Login To Vote

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

RamKiSeeta thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 8 Thumbnail + 6
Posted: 10 years ago
Originally posted by: Cool-n-Fresh

Absolute!But I have a doubt.Why didn't she protest or atleast say no when her marriage was being fixed?😕

I don't know...maybe because Bhishma was known for kidnapping princesses, and Gandhari was afraid that if she refused the marriage, he would kidnap her anyway for Dhritarastra? 😕 She probably thought, 'better go silently than cause a scene'.
Edited by JanakiRaghunath - 10 years ago
amukta thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail Fascinator 1 Thumbnail
Originally posted by: SRUJAconscience

Wife in Case 1 is 'Faithful' and the one in Case 2 is 'well wisher'.😆

wife in first case is faithful or is it blind faith ...😆
_gReenheaRt_ thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail
Originally posted by: amukta

wife in first case is faithful or is it blind faith ...😆

Blind Faith in our conscience but faithfullness in her own perception.😆
Vr15h thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 4
One contrast that I think is pretty interesting is b/w Gandhari & Duhsala.  After the war, Gandhari was @ her sanctimonious peak, wanting to curse the Pandavas, and ultimately cursing Krishna.

Duhsala, by contrast, never got to meet the Pandavas until her husband's killer, Arjun, invaded her kingdom during the Ashwamedha yagna.  The Saindava army fought a long & hard war against Arjun.  At the end of it, Duhsala appeared in the battlefield b4 Arjun, and  appealed for mercy.  Instead of launching into a tirade against him, she described how her son had died, and how her grandson was nothing like her evil husband.  She accepted that he got the fruits of his deeds, but begged that her grandson be spared.  Arjun embraced her and told her that he had no enmity against her family, and would recognize her grandson as king, and asked her to return peacefully to her palace.

In Gandhari's case, she still had her husband, and one step son.  In Duhsala's case, she lost both husband and now son, and yet wasn't bitter against Arjun, accepting that her husband got what he deserved.  Whereas Arjun was filled w/ fear when the Pandavas met Gandhari, he was filled w/ sympathy when he met Duhsala
Justitia thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail
I personally look at it as a means of protesting her marriage to Dhritarashtra, which ultimately resulted in dereliction of duty in the sense that she could not put her sons on the "right track" due to her decision to blindfold herself (for whatever reason).

And even IF you look at it as a wife "being faithful" to her husband, it still resulted in dereliction of duty (as a mother). A mother's duty is ALWAYS towards her sons. And if she felt that being a "pativrata" was more important than being a "good mother", then ðŸ˜• 
But not only in Gandhari's case, there are many other women who actually believe that their "duty" as a wife should come ahead of their "duty" as a mother...but what if both "duties" work against each other, as it happened in Gandhari's case??
Edited by shani88 - 10 years ago
Wistfulness thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail + 7
Originally posted by: ..RamKiJanaki..

I don't know...maybe because Bhishma was known for kidnapping princesses, and Gandhari was afraid that if she refused the marriage, he would kidnap her anyway for Dhritarastra? 😕 She probably thought, 'better go silently than cause a scene'.

Oh no! I strongly disagree here. Abduction was an accepted Kshatriya code then..and is there any other abduction done by Bhishma except the Kashi one? Had he been the one to force, Amba wouldn't have been permitted to return.

I seriously don't think that Gandhari had any problem with her marriage being fixed with Dhritarashtra. Is there anything to hint that she was upset before or post the marriage?
Wistfulness thumbnail
Also, Gandhari had the power to curse Krishna, so why she didn't oppose? This clearly states that she didn't have any objection.
INSTIGATOR thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail
Originally posted by: ..RamKiJanaki..

I've the same question...is there any other abduction also, except the kashi one? Bhishma wasn't a demon who would force her to marry even after she had confessed her view.
Gandhari had no objection at all. Neither Shakuni had any problem.

Maybe she tried to be a bit over Mahaan and so blindfolded herself. This made her fail miserably as a wife as well as mother.
Wistfulness thumbnail
Is it necessary for the children of a blind couple to get attracted towards the evil?

Gandhari could fulfil her duties even with the blindfold perhaps, but her failure indicates that she was ignorant towards her children.