Faithfulness OR dereliction of duty!?

Poll

Gandhari's act of blindfolding her own eyes symbolizes.....

Poll Choice
Login To Vote
chirpy_life19 thumbnail
Posted: 10 years ago

Do you think as per Mahabharata, Gandhari acted as a faithful wife or her act was dereliction of duty? she should have guided and helped her husband by being an eye to the blind king.

I dont understand the logic of blinding voluntarily by a cloth to show love for husband.If she would have not blinded herself she would have imparted good culture in her sons.She may be a good wife in the eyes of some but did she do justice to her role as a faithful wife?

May be in that era this was called love but in today's scenario if one spouse is weak other spouse has to perform extra responsibility.May be at young age she was full of love for her husband and she had showed her devotion by blinding herself but after the death of her 100 son did she realize that she had done a blunder.Did Shri Krishna or Ved Vyasa or one point this out to her?

Also what do you think about this?(Waiting for replies!)

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Vr15h thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 4
In the Savitri-Satyavan's story, if one recalls, Satyavan's father was blind, but I don't recall his mother blindfolding herself out of respect to him.  I know she probably didn't come anywhere near Savitri in terms of loyalty to husband, but had that been a standard, she'd have definitely followed it.

No, I think that the colloquial image of Gandhari's blindfold symbolizing her turning a blind eye to the misdeeds of her sons was symbolic enough.

In Stri Parva, both Bhima & Krishna point this out to her.

When after the match at dice the tresses of Draupadi were seized, I uttered certain words in rage. Those words are still in my remembrance, I would, for all years to come, have been regarded to have swerved from the duties of a Kshatriya if I had left that vow unaccomplished. It was for this, O queen, that I did that act. It behoveth thee not, O Gandhari, to impute any fault to me. Without having restrained thy sons in former days, doth it behove thee to impute any fault to our innocent selves?

"The holy one said, Arise, arise, O Gandhari, do not set thy heart on grief! Through thy fault, this vast carnage has taken place! Thy son Duryodhana was wicked-souled, envious, and exceedingly arrogant. Applauding his wicked acts, thou regardest them to be good. Exceedingly cruel, he was the embodiment of hostilities, and disobedient to the injunctions of the old. Why dost thou wish to ascribe thy own faults to me? Dead or lost, the person that grieves for what has already occurred, obtaineth more grief. By indulging in grief, one increases it two-fold. A woman of the regenerate class bears children for the practice of austerities; the cow brings forth offspring for bearing burdens; the mare brings forth her young for acquiring speed of motion; the Shudra woman bears a child for adding to the number of servitors; the Vaishya woman for adding to the number of keepers of cattle. A princess, however, like thee, brings forth sons for being slaughtered!"

varaali thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 2
I think, it was Gandhari's way of protesting against her father for meekly accepting Bhishma's proposal to wed her to the blind Dritarashtra.

Probably she did not have any issues with his blindness, but the fact that her sons could never be kings of a kingdom must have made feel let down. It is possible that she could have felt that had she been given in marriage to the crown prince of another smaller kingdom, she wold have stood a very good chance of becoming a queen and a queen mother thereafter.

chirpy_life19 thumbnail
Originally posted by: varaali

I think, it was Gandhari's way of protesting against her father for meekly accepting Bhishma's proposal to wed her to the blind Dritarashtra.

Probably she did not have any issues with his blindness, but the fact that her sons could never be kings of a kingdom must have made feel let down. It is possible that she could have felt that had she been given in marriage to the crown prince of another smaller kingdom, she wold have stood a very good chance of becoming a queen and a queen mother thereafter.

In what way Dritarashtra was suitable for marriage that Bheeshma proposed an alliance?It really makes me wonder!
chirpy_life19 thumbnail
Originally posted by: .Vrish.

In the Savitri-Satyavan's story, if one recalls, Satyavan's father was blind, but I don't recall his mother blindfolding herself out of respect to him.  I know she probably didn't come anywhere near Savitri in terms of loyalty to husband, but had that been a standard, she'd have definitely followed it.

No, I think that the colloquial image of Gandhari's blindfold symbolizing her turning a blind eye to the misdeeds of her sons was symbolic enough.

In Stri Parva, both Bhima & Krishna point this out to her.

@Red Yeah,Dritarashtra was born blind,but Gandhari deliberately made herself blind!
A 100 sons whom she can't even tend at a time even with full vision!

In what sense she was a faithful wife that with her power she could burn the toe of Yuddishtir and curse Lord Krishna?😕

Edited by Cool-n-Fresh - 10 years ago
chirpy_life19 thumbnail

I feel that lack of mother's role and love right from the birth lead to the destruction Kauravas!
Edited by Cool-n-Fresh - 10 years ago
RamKiSeeta thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 8 Thumbnail + 6
I also feel it was unmindfulness. No where in the scriptures does is say that if a husband is blind, the wife should make herself blind too. ðŸ˜• In fact, the scriptures say that a wife should lead her husband on the path of good and guide him when he is in trouble. Dhritarastra clearly could not rule the Kingdom well being blind, so Gandhari would have been a more faithful wife had she helped him rule the kingdom through her sight. So many things could have been prevented had she kept her sight.

Faithfulness could have been a factor in Gandhari blinding herself, but I also think it was a form of revenge against Bhishma and her father. She might not have wanted to marry a blind Dhritarastra who was then not King, so by blinding herself, she refused to see the husband she was forced to spend the rest of her life with.
chirpy_life19 thumbnail
Originally posted by: JanakiRaghunath

I also feel it was unmindfulness. No where in the scriptures does is say that if a husband is blind, the wife should make herself blind too. ðŸ˜• In fact, the scriptures say that a wife should lead her husband on the path of good and guide him when he is in trouble. Dhritarastra clearly could not rule the Kingdom well being blind, so Gandhari would have been a more faithful wife had she helped him rule the kingdom through her sight. So many things could have been prevented had she kept her sight.

Faithfulness could have been a factor in Gandhari blinding herself, but I also think it was a form of revenge against Bhishma and her father. She might not have wanted to marry a blind Dhritarastra who was then not King, so by blinding herself, she refused to see the husband she was forced to spend the rest of her life with.

Absolute!But I have a doubt.Why didn't she protest or atleast say no when her marriage was being fixed?😕

chirpy_life19 thumbnail

Case 1 : Husband is on the wrong path.Wife follows him whatever be the situation.

Case 2 : Husband is on the wrong path wife corrects him and directs him into the right path.

Who is to be termed as 'Faithful' from the above 2 cases?
_gReenheaRt_ thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail
Originally posted by: Cool-n-Fresh

Case 1 : Husband is on the wrong path.Wife follows him whatever be the situation.

Case 2 : Husband is on the wrong path wife corrects him and directs him into the right path.

Who is to be termed as 'Faithful' from the above 2 cases?

Wife in Case 1 is 'Faithful' and the one in Case 2 is 'well wisher'.😆