Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Fashion_2005 thumbnail
Posted: 17 years ago

Originally posted by: jprasad

SPOILERS....SKIP IT! DON'T READ IF YOU DON'T TO KNOW

ok, so I am back to find my topic on the front page.   πŸ˜²

I watched the movie and I am back with my two cents.

Bittersweet.

Karan Johar does a wonderful job with the movie overall. SRK, Preity,
Rani, Abhishek all gave powerful performances. The theme was obviously
quite complicated and there were many layers to it, but like I said
bittersweet.

My two qualms...the movie is a bit long and I agree that the relationship
between SRK and Rani could have been a little bit more developed. I
think that possibly the movie needed to be stretched that long so that it
unfolds properly, hence it being so long.

From what I read that some feel that movies such as this possibly
promote extra marital affairs. However, after watching the two failed
marriages in KANK, I thought about a couple of things. I thought about
my relationship with my husband and what I thought of him. I wondered
if this movie made any difference in my life. You know we fight...we have
typical husband/wife fights, but I love my husband. He is a good man. I
married him because he made me complete, not because I thought of him
as my compromise. He makes me whole and he makes life worth living.
He is my friend, my companion. He is the one who I share my thoughts
with. These are the things that I thought about after this movie and I
wanted to share this with I-F's thousands of readers.

I think if the movie had a negative impact on me, I would have thought
about all the fights between my husband and I. I would have thought,
"Oh, gosh I hate this man, he smokes and he stays up late and yada
yada..." I need to find myself another man, cuz extra-marital affairs are
ok.

After 4 years of marriage, I realize that marriage is a lot of work and it is
up to my husband and I to make it work. I don't life in an era where I
MUST stay married. I live in era where I got married by choice and it is
really easy to get divorced. I have seen many people get married on
whim, have an affair on a whim, get divorced on a whim, and then I
wonder "log shaadi kyun karthe hai?"

The second thing I pondered upon after the movie was that could I
possibly start to feel insecure about my own relationship. Do I have to
rethink my values about relationships? Could this happen to me? Could
my husband find love elsewhere? What would I do? It doesn't take a
movie to promote extra-marital affairs, but like in the movies, it just
happens. My gut feeling told me that I must feel secure within myself
before I could worry about security in a relationship. I felt a sense of
relief when I figured that I married a good guy and rather than think
about how KANK could be bad for me, I thought about good things.

I understand that you need to have an open mind when watching KANK,
but I still believe that you need to have experienced some life before you
step into the theatre to watch your favorite actors tackle such a complex
theme. To watch this movie you have to have thick skin, be prepared that
it is really for a mature audience and bring lot's of tissue.   πŸ˜³

Finally, I am glad that I was able to catch this movie as I felt good about
my relationship with my husband.

Wonderful postπŸ‘

Fashion_2005 thumbnail

Originally posted by: Hareem_M

I think you guys are under the wrong impression that a movie is made so people can follow their lives around it. Yes, extra-marital affairs are wrong. And yes, Johar has portrayed one in KANK. What the audience is doing is wrong is seeing this as a message for them to all go out amd have their own extra-marital affairs. KANK is a STORY. SRK and Rani are NOT role models. They are actors portraying roles that are disturbingly close to real life. Extra-marital affairs are a sad but real part of life. If you're saying that this movie promotes extra-marital affairs, then you're also saying that horror movies w/ serial killers are promoting murder. You're also saying that movies like Fanaa, that regard terrorism, are promoting everyone to go out and become a terrorist. Yes, there are some movies like Swades that give a message to the audience to change the world. KANK is not one of them. KANK tells a perfectly believable story about four people. It tells about the consequences of what happens when people make bad choices in their married life. And if any of you are under the sad impression that you should make your choices regarding life based on a movie, then you really need a reality check. Life is not a movie. We don't break into song and dance every 5 min. I, personally, applaud Johar for taking a huge risk by delving in this theme. Johar writes about REAL issues that could affect anyone's life (unlike others who write about imaginary aliens...but that's besides the point). So if you are going to see this movie, make sure you're mature enough to handle it. Make sure you realize you make your own choices in life, not what you're favorite actor does in a movie. And, make sure you realize that maturity does not come with age, it comes with being open-minded.

Very well saidπŸ‘I don't think many people will understand your point of view. Karan Johar is not giving the message to have an extra marital affair but saying please don't get married to the person till you love the person bottom of your heart and i agree with KJ😊

Rindam thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail
Here is my take on the movie, many might not like it-

I really dont think there should be any controversy surrounding KANK.

It is not a well made movie that forces one to think (ala, Arth)

It is not a masala or romantic movie that allows one to enjoy (Silsila)

All it is is 3.5 hrs of pain, -excrutiating pain

I had to wait for my ride back home if not I'd have left the theatre when the two -lovers- (shamelessly must I add) book a motel room to sleep with each other while their unsuspecting spouses prance around asking "Where the party is tonight?" -As if one didnt know "At the sleazy motel" (or since this is Karan Johar it was the Radisson)

Sad for SRK fans that he did this character. Rani could really tone down her eye make up and stop crying buckets for no reason. Ghar se jaa rahen hain- To rona, aa rahen hai- To rona, train station par rona, motel par rona, All of NYC was bloody flooded woman, She didnt stop at Philadelphia either. Ro Rokar dimaak kharaab kar diya- Uffff-

And Dev abuses his son, makes wierd apalling faces at people, is rude, hates his wife for being succesful and makes jokes when she says she had a long day at work.
I'm sure having a long day at work is something he hasnt heard of. All the while Dev growls and barks at unsuspecting pedestrians or joggers, and when he finds his floozie at the train station buys books on how to save relationships.

It seems Dev never cared enough to ask his wife, a woman who bore his son(and who he abuses- mistaking abuse for humor)if she needed his support, how she was doing living with a man dead from the neck upwards like him. Now it must be noted that every effort was made to portray the wife (Zinta) as the cold career woman (Mind you every woman who has a job and works her butt off without sucking up to every word that Pati Parmeshwar says isnt worth the trouble to say "i Love you". She can be disposed off within the hour minus any remorse or guilt. Even if there is a hint of some they will throttle that hint with a ton of hypocrisy)

The less said of Rani Mukherjee the better. Having a husband (AB jr was good, some respite in the movie) that loves her and respects her, cherishes her she mind bogglingly only manages to find interest in the vacuum cleaner?
She has this moronic expression on her face plastered throughout (complemented by the monkey faces Dev keeps making to profess his interest in her). No energy, no zest for life, no idea what the heck she wants from life, from herself. If she was confused why didnt she say so. Not conveniant enough ay- Or sorry, poor Ab Jr. didnt like the color blue and worse still was vocal about it, Yikes-

What was the last straw was that
Ab. jr and Zinta conveniantly take the blame on themselves. Apparently it was becasue of them showing too much interest in their careers that the marraige broke off (of course the blue blue factor). Instead if she cooked and cleaned and sobbed incessantly, he might have considered not to sleep around. And Ab Jr is still wondering if it was his hatred for vacuuming that did him in.

But alls well that ends well, the cold career woman gets the dump, and the son. She will continue to work her butt off and support her son and his mom (and herself)
Ab Jr will have to find a gal again.

Dev and Maya will become -soulmates-

YUCK and YUCK

Karan Johar should understand what it means to be married, and the trauma of a divorce before he ventures any more silly childish crap.
Idiotic interpretations like this of falling in and out of love, losing interest in marraige and the children one creates lack responsibiltiy and maturity.

This movie is not about love, its about weakness-
melissa_25 thumbnail
during the making of this movie rani said u feel sorry for all the characters..but sorry to say, i only felt sorry for rishi(abhi) and ria(preity)..dev was neurotic and maybe he had his reasons to be, but maya, well i just wanted to give her a tight slap!
tt character was the worst in the movie!!
kank deals with a bold subject, but it could have been taken in a different way...after seeing the movie i still do not see the reason as to why they needed to have an affair..infact to me it seems like they had an affair with the 1st person they came across just for the sake of having an affair...
πŸ˜•
diyafah thumbnail
well...i atlast saw the movie 2day(18th)i liked the comic scences very much ...but the ending by kj was a major let down..i was waiting for dis movie from june onwards...and after seeing the movie...i was shocked!kj did'nt completely live up to my expectations! 😭
the ending was not gud!
the opening of the film is gud only coz of big superstars!i dpn't think dis film will be a bloackbuster!the script is flawed but the performances are flawless!
SolidSnake thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
So, everyone here wants KJ to make only traditional Indian movies? This time he tried a different theme, atleast pat his back for trying it.

BTW, KANK seems to be 5th Blockbuster of the year after RDB, Fanaa, PHP and Krrish.
insouciance thumbnail
I dont care if its a hit,But I would terribly disappointed of SRK or Rani win the best actor/actress award for this piece of crap 🀒 ...They surely dont even deserve a nomination 🀒
tina59 thumbnail
Anniversary 19 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 3
well after reading so many views abt KANK ,it looks like the characters of preity and abhishek are the ones who should have looked outside their marriage πŸ˜‰ for their soul mates as they didnt deserve spouses like dev and maya .

I mean glorifying EMA esp for a character who taunts his wife just bcoz she is more successful than him or whose ego is bigger than his head is just plain unjust and ridiculous.

In the end ,I feel they should have focussed more on preity and abhishek's character coz they were the actual winners in life and it shouldn't have been abt two losers getting together in love .

Marriage is an institution in intelf that teaches you the meaning of life.It goes beyond love ,its about friendship,companionship,trust,honesty ...they should have atleast given a strong reason for justifying dev and maya's infedilty.

Dev has a kid for gods sake and marriage and kid is not a joke that one fine day u just leave them giving the reason of true love and soul mate .Who knows maybe tomorrow ,maya may be more successful than him and he may be disgusted with her too and leave her to find his next soul mate .

Anyway I would never ever agree to such a concept nor would i waste my money to see such a pathetic love story and that too made my KJ .
NKSUDHIR thumbnail
I think there is nothing wrong with Karan Johar trying a different concept in his movie KANK. Every one agree that there are flaws in the Script but KJ made it so funny to watch it that no body gets bored of it. Speaking about age limit, yes I don't think parents should allow kids to accompany them. For our culture its not a family movie.
Speaking about the subject matter of the movie, I think KJ took it from the society. These things are happening in Western as well as Indian societies. Here I am not only talking about Metropolitan cities, it is even happening in small villages where husbands are cheating on their innocent, pativarata wives. Regardless of the reason behind, Extra marital relationships, theoretically  is always considered wrong but practically there is not a huge percentage of perfect happy families out there in any society or country.
In olden days, number of EMs and divorces were lesser because there was such thing as COMPROMISE and ADJUSTMENT feelings in almost every couple, but new generations have ZERO tolerance for everything and they just dare to step out of their married life and start living together with someone else.
I am not just copying these statements from anywhere, I have seen many EMR's happening around here in Canada and back home too.
Therefore KJ didn't just picked the subject out of blue, it is happening more in Hollywood, Bollywood than in general public. Do you think when STARS remarried after  breaking up with there many years married life, just marry in one day? No, they cheat on their spouses; live with their new partners and then announce in public that they are divorcing the first one and remarrying to the new one.
The main thing I hated in KANK was, KJ shouldn't have made SRK to abuse the child so badly. There was no need to abuse a child to show your anger. Edited by NKSUDHIR - 17 years ago