Debate of the Day:Controversy around KANK

Posted: 17 years ago

So I got to reading some of the post about Kabhi Alvida Na Kehna.  If you check out the home page of India-Forums, you will see the KANK topic.  People are excited.  I think some of us have huge expectations of this movie.  It is after all a Karan Johar movie with our favorite actors/actresses.  Then I read some remarks about the movie and they were negative.  It got me to thinking.  First, I checked out the ages of the people who posted  the negative remarks and they were quite young.  I am 30 so age 29 and under is young for me.  πŸ˜† 

I know that we have issues as indian movies are not being censored so each age group is not sure of what to expect when they go to see a movie.  American movies are censored and you see a lot of commercials, so you can determine whether or not you want to see any particular movie or not.  An actor or movie theme are what I base my determinations on.  In fact, I really make an effort to go in with a blank mind so that my my expectations are somewhat met.  Tonight I am going to see KANK cuz SRK, Preity, Abhishek and Rani.  Hopefully, the movie is good. 

Overall I am just doing a whole lot of rambling.  In conclusion, my final thought is...that because of my experiences I can handle watching a movie about extra marital affairs.  However, I think that the younger generation who have not quite experienced life yet should hold off on seeing a movie with a theme that they might not be able to digest rather than saying the movie is dumb or boring....

Edited by Ms. Bholi Bhali - 17 years ago
Ya i agree the tean generation will not be able to grasp the essence of this film as the theme is certainly "adult " here. Just like how Astitva or Chandni Bar or Chameli (was that the name of Kareena K's movie where she is a sex worker) These movies should be "R"( restricted as they dub it in Hollywood or Adult in India).

But it doesn't matter every one wants to watch their beloved SRK and Abhishek ! Its the parents who must watch out for them and restrict them.

So kids under 18, are you going to watch the film? πŸ˜› Now i will get a danda from all the under 18 crowd here . hehe!! Edited by Aparna_BD - 17 years ago
well...my whole family were going to see the movie...but my dad told us we can't becuase it's for adults....so i guess i won't be able to see it
Hehe I have just celebrated my 18th B'day & entered the 19th year.
I can surely watch it. πŸ˜ƒ

& Aparna wait 4 the under 18 crowd. They will surely bring a danda after they read ur reply. πŸ˜ƒ πŸ˜†

But kids don't be angry, we r telling this 4 ur better only. πŸ˜†
You have a good point there.. That's the main reason why I personally am not going to watch the movie because I am definately going to find it "dumb".. πŸ˜†
Hey Guys,

See JP and Aparna I do see your point however I strongly disagree in some matters of KANK. Though they may not be related, I do feel that the movie is giving out a wrong theme. And wrong themes have nothing to do with age. I haven't seen the movie yet but from the preview I saw yesterday, the film is justifying extra maritial affairs. Infact Srk in his interview said that the movie shows that when there are rough roadds in the marraiges of two couples, they can move on and become friends.  Do relationships and especially can marraige break so easily and conveniently?

Yes extra maritial affairs do happen but are we saying that there can be a positive light shown in them? Are we trying to say that its okay for two couples to switch partners and realistically speaking does that really happen in life?  The movie is trying to show that love can happen after marraige with someone else but that doesn't mean that extra maritial affairs are always right. Marraige is a commitment - not an unbreakable one but yes it is a huge commitment filled with trust, honesty and loyalty. There are many extra maritial affairs that just can not be jusitified.

Perhpahs some in the younger generation haven't experienced marraige and commitments yet.  Yet do we all not have an image of marraige and the responsiblities attached to it?  And age doesn't change the overall moral being sent out by the story.  Is Karan Johar trying to say that love after marraige can be stronger than the commitment of marraige?  And is it okay to break that commitment?  And if some of us say that its only a commitment and love matters more than doesn't love require commitments too? 

Extra maritial affairs aren't positive and as entertainment there is a responsiblity of portraying the right light to our society (not that entertainment always does this unfortunately).  My hope from the movie is to be shown that extra maritial affairs aren't black or white - they are grey, some can be jusitified perhaphs but some can't be as well.  Again I haven't seen the movie yet so I am basing my assumptions on what I have seen on television. I may change my mind after wathcing the movie and I am more than open to it. I really hope that I am proven wrong and that the movie does not send out the wrong message.

Gr8 topic JP πŸ‘

DollyEdited by Diva - 17 years ago

oh really wow...hmm, i hvaent sen anything...just little previews of the songs..... 😳 ....so i have no clue wat the movie is about...untill i read this

thx 4 the infoπŸ˜›

Edited by indiangirl07 - 17 years ago

Originally posted by Diva

Hey Guys,

See JP and Aparna I do see your point however I strongly disagree in some matters of KANK. Though they may not be related, I do feel that the movie is giving out a wrong theme. And wrong themes have nothing to do with age. I haven't seen the movie yet but from the preview I saw yesterday, the film is justifying extra maritial affairs. Infact Srk in his interview said that the movie shows that when there are rough roadds in the marraiges of two couples, they can move on and become friends.  Do relationships and especially can marraige break so easily and conveniently?

Yes extra maritial affairs do happen but are we saying that there can be a positive light shown in them? Are we trying to say that its okay for two couples to switch partners and realistically speaking does that really happen in life?  The movie is trying to show that love can happen after marraige with someone else but that doesn't mean that extra maritial affairs are always right. Marraige is a commitment - not an unbreakable one but yes it is a huge commitment filled with trust, honesty and loyalty. There are many extra maritial affairs that just can not be jusitified.

Perhpahs some in the younger generation haven't experienced marraige and commitments yet.  Yet do we all not have an image of marraige and the responsiblities attached to it?  And age doesn't change the overall moral being sent out by the story.  Is Karan Johar trying to say that love after marraige can be stronger than the commitment of marraige?  And is it okay to break that commitment?  And if some of us say that its only a commitment and love matters more than doesn't love require commitments too? 

Extra maritial affairs aren't positive and as entertainment there is a responsiblity of portraying the right light to our society (not that entertainment always does this unfortunately).  My hope from the movie is to be shown that extra maritial affairs aren't black or white - they are grey, some can be jusitified perhaphs but some can't be as well.  Again I haven't seen the movie yet so I am basing my assumptions on what I have seen on television. I may change my mind after wathcing the movie and I am more than open to it. I really hope that I am proven wrong and that the movie does not send out the wrong message.

Gr8 topic JP πŸ‘

Dolly

πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘

Wow thats exactly how I feel- the people committing adultery are being portrayed in a postivie light- you want to feel sorry for them🀒

I also agree that it is wrong justifyin extra marital affairs which i=this movie is about like SRK married to Priety fallis in love with Rani and the same with the other couple. But I think each person married their opposite. From what i heard and saw Priety and Abishek are more party people while SRK and RAni are more low-key and not partying every saturday night. So if they don't get along wit each other then what can one do? May be shouldn't have married in the first place. But this waht i heard. Also it is sad that after marriage you might fall in love wit someone. I don't know how many peopl read the CD cover of this music CD. Karan Johar says there are 3 types of marriages:

1) Arranged marriages. People who have no problem in arrranged marriages, he doesn't know why they do it but good for them if that's what they want.

2)Love marriages. People who marry the ones they love are the most fortunates.

3)The most unfortunate people are the ones who marry a person for their mother, sister or for someone else to make them happy. they are the most unfortunate beacuse what if in the middle of their life/ journey of marriage they end up falling in love and meeting Mr./Mrs. RIght? What will they do now?

OK, this is not my view it's karan johar's and it is not word for word. i'm writing what i remembered and it is somthing like that. Just jope Im fortunate, I go for no. 2 marriage type!!! πŸ˜ƒ
i can watch it coz im above 20 😳 πŸ˜† ..anyways its upto the person and wht they believe on.. 😳