Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Surya_krsnbhakt thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail
Posted: 10 years ago
@ Viraaga I think this version is in Devi Bhagavatam, though extended.
chirpy_life19 thumbnail
Originally posted by: Surya_krsnbhakt

@ Viraaga I think this version is in Devi Bhagavatam, though extended.

Sorry,which version you're talking about?I didn't get it.😳
Vr15h thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 4

I read that "Ravana lifted the entire piece of earth with Sita standing on it and whisked her away on his aerial chariot. As he realized that he cannot lay his hands on Sita directly."This description belongs to which version?"

Probably Kamban.  Certainly not Valmiki
RamKiSeeta thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 8 Thumbnail + 6
@Viraaga,

The Sita Swayamvar shown in TV and movies is straight from RCM. In RCM, Tulsidas writes out an actual swayamvar for Sita which RSR and ASR followed almost exactly. In Valmiki, there is no swayamvar ceremony. Kings came at random times to lift the bow of Shiva but all of them failed. Rama was the last one to come, and he lifted it, but there was not actual swayamvar held. He just came for King Janak's yagna.
Surya_krsnbhakt thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail
Originally posted by: Viraaga

Sorry,which version you're talking about?I didn't get it.😳

I was talking about the Vedavati story, where Dharmadhvaja and Kuasadhvaja do penance.
varaali thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 2

Probably Kamban.  Certainly not Valmiki

Yes, it is from Kamban's Ramayanam. 
chirpy_life19 thumbnail

1) In Valmiki's version we can find both Ram and Lakshman unconscious(they honor the Brahmastra by facing it) in Yuddhakanda unlike RCM where only Lakshman becomes the victim.

2) Also they differ with the Vali incident. This incident is one of the most controversial.Rama is portrayed as the epitome of virtue and moral uprightness. The question then arises why he did not challenge Vali to a face-to-face contest, but chose to kill him from hiding while Vali and Sugreeva were engaged in a duel. Vali puts this question to Rama in Valmiki Ramayana. Again Tulsidas does not deal with the issue.

Tulsidas writes, "God is limitless and there is no limit to his stories." And Ramacharitamanas is composed by him as Shiva appeared in dream and told him.But by leaving the new stories,why do we find a different version of the same episodes of Valmiki Ramayan?πŸ˜•
Edited by Viraaga - 10 years ago
_gReenheaRt_ thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail
Originally posted by: Viraaga

2) Also they differ with the Vali incident. This incident is one of the most controversial.Rama is portrayed as the epitome of virtue and moral uprightness. The question then arises why he did not challenge Vali to a face-to-face contest, but chose to kill him from hiding while Vali and Sugreeva were engaged in a duel. Vali puts this question to Rama in Valmiki Ramayana. Again Tulsidas does not deal with the issue.

This incident you mentioned is commonly misinterpreted.

Read the following from Kishkinda kanda(Valmiki Ramayan)

You don't find Shri Ram hiding anywhere!Just Sugreev was ahead of Shri Ram on their way!

Encounter-1 
"Let us quickly go from here to Kishkindha, oh, Sugreeva, you move in advance, and on going there you invite that Vali, one redolent of your brotherhood." So said Rama to Sugreeva. [4-12-13]

When Shri was walking and coming to that place(from a far distance)he noticed them fighting.

Then Rama wielding bow in his hand watched those valiant ones that are alike in their appearance, like the Ashwin twins among gods. [4-12-19]

For which reason Raghava could not differentiate between Sugreeva or Vali, for the same reason did not make up his mind to release his arrow, otherwise it would have been a deadening arrow, as confusion is the only reason for Rama. [4-12-20]

Meanwhile Sugreeva is unable to spot out his benefactor Raghava as Vali whacked him down, and thereby he immediately fled to Mt. Rishyamuka. [4-12-21]

Sugreeva is debilitated and enervated by Vali's thwacking till his limbs soaked in blood, and he entered the great forest of Rishyamuka as Vali chased him. [4-12-22]

On seeing Sugreeva's entry into the forest of Rishyamuka, Vali said to him "you are let off for now..." and saying so he returned to Kishkindha from there in view of fear from curse of Sage Matanga. [4-12-23]

Raghava also came to that forest, along with his brother Lakshmana and along with Hanuma, where that monkey Sugreeva fled. [4-12-24]

Seeing the arrival of Rama with Lakshmana, Sugreeva ashamedly turned his eyes down to earth and piteously spoke this without eyeing Rama [4-12-25]

Encounter-2
Sugreeva became retardant in aggression when Vali routed his pride and then he exasperatedly started searching for Raghava to counteract Vali. [4-16-27]
Raghava has then seen the lord of monkeys Sugreeva who is repeatedly eyeing all sides for help and who is even deteriorating in his enterprise. [4-16-31]
On seeing the lord of monkeys Sugreeva in a forlornness, then the refulgent and fearless Rama scanned for an arrow aiming to eliminate Vali. [4-16-32]
Then on tautening a venomous serpent like arrow in the bow, Rama started to draw out bowstring, whereby that bow attained a similitude with the Time-disc of the Terminator. [4-16-33]
At the blast of bowstring the lordly birds and animals are panicked, like those that will be startled by the approach of ear ending, and they all fled. [4-16-34]
The arrow released by Raghava that has the boom of thunderbolt's thunderclap and the flashes of a lightning fell on the chest of Vali. [4-16-35]
"You are a renowned prince with pleasing looks.. but, which kind of death I am getting now, that too when I was in the commotion of conflict with another, alas, that ignoble death is owing to you,and what merit is achieved by you in this undertaking of yours to kill someone who is facing away from you... [4-17-16]
@ Red itself answers😊
Vali couldn't notice Shri Ram as he was engaged in the fight but Shri Ram was present in his vicinity,being born in a Royal family(Warrior class) and having Royal traits it doesn't suit him to hide and attack someone.
'with arrow, on chest, struck...' establishes that Rama did not backstab Vali, but hit on chest as said at (4-16-35)
"When you have not appeared before me when I confronted Sugreeva my concept was, 'it will be inapt of Rama to hurt me while I am combating with another combatant, besides, when I will be unvigilant in that fight...' [4-17-21]

Shri Ram's relpy ,
 "Uncaring for probity, prosperity, pleasure deriving, and even for the social conventions, now how do you rebuke me childishly in this matter? [4-18-4]
"Unconsulted are the doyens of your race that are intellectually well off and agreeable to your mentors about rights and wrongs about your deeds, oh, gentle one, how do you wish to debate with me in this matter with your primate's caprice. [4-18-5]
"Abiding in our own pre-eminent righteousness, and even abiding by the order of Bharata we punish him who deviated from the path of morality, according to custom. [4-18-11]
"It is to be known by him who treads the way of righteousness that he has three fatherly personages, namely his own father, his elder brother, and the one who accords education to him. [4-18-13]

"An younger brother, a son, and a disciple with good characteristics, these three are to be deemed as one's own sons, for such matters take base on rectitude alone. [4-18-14]

"The probity practised by principled people is very subtle and highly imponderable, and the soul that abides in the hearts of all beings alone can differentiate between just and unjust. [4-18-15]

"Realise this reason by which I have eliminated you... you misbehaved with your brother's wife, forsaking the perpetual tradition. [4-18-18]
"While the great-souled Sugreeva is still alive, you with your habit of sinful acts have lustily misbehaved with Sugreeva's wife Ruma, who should be counted as your daughter-in-law. [4-18-19]
"Thereby, oh, vanara, this punishment is imposed on you, for your dissolute sinning in abusing your brother's wife, thereby for your transgression of tradition and virtue. [4-18-20]

"As a Kshatriya emerged from a best dynasty I do not tolerate your wrongdoing, and the punishment to the one who lustfully indulges with his daughter, or with his sister, or with the wife of his younger brother is his elimination, as recalled from scriptures. [4-18-22, 23a]

He just acted like a police on dutyπŸ˜† i.e ; when a culprit overpowers his victim.

Though the flavour of friendship was added to this episode,the essence here is Shri Ram's righteousness and wisdom!😊

Edited by SRUJAconscience - 10 years ago
chirpy_life19 thumbnail
Originally posted by: SRUJAconscience

Though the flavour of friendship was added to this episode,the essence here is Shri Ram's righteousness and wisdom!😊

Thanks you so much for clarifying questions pertaining to this episode.😳
So all this false criticism is spread due to misinterpretations!😲

Edited by Viraaga - 10 years ago
Previous
1 2