20 Secrets of Ramayana that no one knows - Page 2

Posted: 10 years ago
Originally posted by lola610

So, in short, great post ;)

Thanks for the kind words, Lola. ðŸ˜Š

(Also would we happen to have the BBC Sherlock and/or Elementary fandom in common?)

We certainly have the love for the ace detective in common, & that's a great thing.😊 However, I am a bit of a Conan Doyle purist. So while I've seen both BBC Sherlock & Robert Downey's strange interpretation, for me there is only one Sherlock in movies or TV, & that's Jeremy Brett.  

Another SHerlock Holmes / Conan Doyle fan here. ðŸ˜Ž
Originally posted by varaali

Another SHerlock Holmes / Conan Doyle fan here. ðŸ˜Ž

Yes, I guessed this fact from the DKDM forum, Varaali. ðŸ˜Š

Met Lestrade recently, he asked me to tell you that he too remembers you just as you remember him. ðŸ˜‰

@ Sherlock - Thank you for raising a point that I often try to raise in discussions of the authenticity of various scriptures, but often to no avail. People often claim that the older the scripture, the more authentic it is, because that puts it closer chronologically to the actual incidents it is describing. 

Lola, I would like to add to this. as you very rightly said, there is this proclivity among today's youth (not that I'm an old man, btw 😆) to somehow give more importance to those very old & ancient texts & those scriptures about which there are many doubts, rather than give more prominence to those authentic texts about whose authenticity, in their entirety, we are pretty sure.

Since my entire thought process revolve around Lord Sita-Ram, I'll give you example with respect to Ramayans.

Today, I find that there is this tendency among young people with easy access to old texts online, to read portions of Valmiki Ramayan, & then keep questioning on one point or other, and then if you tell them that this point or this conversation or this incident has been dealt with in this way in some other texts, they say, we'll talk about Valmiki Ramayan only.

I feel that today there is very little devotion in the Lotus-feet of Lord Sita-Ram in the heart of those who read all this, & a huge amount of ego to be recognized as a well-read person, as some sort of a scholar of old Sanskrit texts, who can argue with one & all on this point or that. Such thinking defeats the very purpose of reading the spiritual texts.

I tell you truthfully Lola, there are only THREE books I keep reading & re-reading continuosly. Those three books are:

1.    Goswami Tulsidas' Sri Ram Charit Manas

2.     Sage Ved Vyas' Adhyatma Ramayan

3.    Saint Soordas' Sri Ram Charitavali.

Actually, now I wish I simply forget everything else I've ever read, because I've no use of all that now.   

Originally posted by sherlock

I feel that today there is very little devotion in the Lotus-feet of Lord Sita-Ram in the heart of those who read all this, & a huge amount of ego to be recognized as a well-read person, as some sort of a scholar of old Sanskrit texts, who can argue with one & all on this point or that. Such thinking defeats the very purpose of reading the spiritual texts.

Hare Krsna! I agree completely!! May the Lotus feet of Sri Sri Sita Rama, Sri Sri Lakshmi Narayana, Sri Sri Radha Krsna forever be in our hearts.
Originally posted by HareKrsna108

Hare Krsna! May the Lotus feet of Sri Sri Sita Rama, Sri Sri Lakshmi Narayana, Sri Sri Radha Krsna forever be in our hearts.

That's my life wish too. ðŸ˜ƒ

Hare Krishna. Jai Siya Ram. 

@ Sherlock - Thank you for raising a point that I often try to raise in discussions of the authenticity of various scriptures, but often to no avail. People often claim that the older the scripture, the more authentic it is, because that puts it closer chronologically to the actual incidents it is describing. But having read various articles about interpolations in currently available versions of Valmiki Ramayan (particularly Uttar Kand as you mentioned) and other texts from that era, I would say that the older the scripture, the more time human beings have had to tamper with it for various reasons, and the further back those interpolations can recede into society's memory so that by the time our generation comes along, we can no longer differentiate between what is authentic and what is inauthentic with certainty. Your list of scriptures that may and may not have been tampered with seems to support that view, and we are both clear in our assertion that we do NOT doubt the sages who originally authored the texts, but the generations of human beings who may have amended their works afterwards. So, in short, great post ;)

I'd make an analogy b/w the above and a crime scene.  Let's say a hit & run happens on a street, and there are a couple of eyewitnesses who describe what's happened.  They give their accounts to the cops, and then discuss it w/ their friends, who spread it around, and pass it off as theirs.  In such an event, it's natural that the original account would keep getting distorted, and the probability of its accuracy reduces as time goes on.

But now, let's say that someone who was not at the crime scene and did not talk to the original witnesses comes up w/ an account of their own.  Maybe months or years after the event.  Has no way of revisiting the crime scene like Holmes (the original one) and checking for clues.  Nonetheless, that someone goes ahead and writes something that's radically different from the witness's account, no matter whether first hand or 143,212,342th hand.  In such a case, do we give this author credibility just b'cos the original eyewitness's account has been tampered w/?

The cops, if they were to revisit the case after those years, certainly wouldn't - they'd painstakingly re-examine the accounts of the original witness, if available, and if not, look at the derivative accounts of that witness's associates who spread the story.  Even though those accounts would be distorted, that's what they would examine while reaching for the facts, not something that people totally not there made up months or years later.

Note that in the case of Ramayan, it has been used as a source for the actual history of what probably happened during the Vedic era, and in doing that, only Valmiki's account was used.  I have no idea whether the works of Vaishistha were also available for review and analysis, but if they were, I'd suspect that they'd be used as well.  However, latter works like Tulsidas, or even Vyasa, are never used for this purpose precisely b'cos they were not contemporaneous accounts of events.  Yeah, some do prefer them due to their 'bhakti' content, which is fine, but it lacks that credibility of describing events that took place then, just like I'd lack credibility if I wrote my own account of the 1857 mutiny.
@ Vrish - Your example makes perfect sense and I don't disagree with you, but to quote all the annoying high school teachers we've ever had, I think we're comparing apples to oranges here. While you're talking about authenticity of the texts to the actual events they describe, I'm referring to the authenticity of current versions of those text versus what the authors originally wrote while or soon after the events occurred. I definitely wouldn't say that Ramcharitmanas is more authentic than whatever edition of VR we have access to today, but it is more likely to be the same RCM that Tulsidas wrote than VR is to be what Valmiki had actually written.

For instance, we've often discussed the speculation by historians that there were multiple Vyasas who were responsible for the texts we attribute to Krishna Dvaipayana, and it's not even likely that all of those contributors belonged to the same generation of authors. In light of that speculation, I would still trust our current versions of Valmiki's and Vyasa's texts for an overall picture of what society was like during the Vedic Era, what codes guided politics and war and relationships, what values people held dear, etc. However, for specific incidents under scrutiny like the ones that make up Uttar Kand, I can't help but wonder what elements from them were part of Valmiki's original writing.

So to sum it up, while I believe that the texts of Valmiki and his contemporaries must have been changed over time and for that reason I wouldn't say it trumps other retellings in every single instance in which it differs from them, I certainly would not give Tulsidas's writing more credibility from a historical standpoint just for that reason. To give it a contemporary analogy, it's just a really nice biopic that makes me emotionally connect with/care about the character but can't necessarily be read for factual accuracy, while VR is the black and white movie that has been edited and spliced for the DVD with scenes reshot for various reasons - kinda like the mytho DVDs out there, especially SK! - but I still acknowledge that it does a better job of portraying the world the subject lived in b/c the director is simply filming it, not attempting to recreate it.

Edited: Another issue I forgot to acknowledge is the unreliability of translations. Aside from later authors potentially tampering with texts like VR, we have generations of translators who took the wrong connotation of a word or phrase and completely changed the meaning of entire portions of the story. I think in various threads (from the DBSK forum for example), Varaali has pointed out the implications of some of these mistranslations. Online translations sometimes don't even differentiate between the literal translation and the translator's additional commentary on the text. Earlier in this forum we came across that issue when someone posted an excerpt from VR in which Sita has a dialogue with Ravan just before he abducts her, and the translator has her saying a lot more than Maharishi Valmiki's verse literally has her say. Ever since then I've been a bit wary when reading excerpts of translations that people post that seem longer than the original verses themselves; the translator could very well trying to be telling us how to interpret it instead of merely giving us the translation and letting us think for ourselves. It's stuff like this that makes the currently available texts/translations questionable for me, without questioning the scripture itself.

Also if we're going to keep this discussion going should I maybe move it to doubts & discussions since it doesn't directly relate to the thread?
Edited by lola610 - 10 years ago

Edited: Another issue I forgot to acknowledge is the unreliability of translations. Aside from later authors potentially tampering with texts like VR, we have generations of translators who took the wrong connotation of a word or phrase and completely changed the meaning of entire portions of the story. I think in various threads (from the DBSK forum for example), Varaali has pointed out the implications of some of these mistranslations. Online translations sometimes don't even differentiate between the literal translation and the translator's additional commentary on the text. 

I did? Don't remember now