Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Aparna_BD thumbnail
Posted: 17 years ago
Buffie and Zara, you both have not given a closing statement so i am extending the debate till 1:00 P.M EST.

Please in the next post as i mentioned in the rules in not more than 500 words sum it up and give your closing statement.

Debate Mansion Development Team
mkzara thumbnail

Lol I knew you were going to say that. ๐Ÿ˜† No PMS doesn't have those consequences it is the mentality of the people regarding PMS and getting caught that has those consequences, but fortunately for women in India things are changing and the mentality is changing. Though reluctantly people in India are starting to accept this change.

Originally posted by: Buffie

PS....

Besides,arent you contradicting yourself๐Ÿ˜‰

So PMS DOES have devastating aftermaths right ๐Ÿ˜‰

insouciance thumbnail
Originally posted by: mkzara

Lol I knew you were going to say that. ๐Ÿ˜† No PMS doesn't have those consequences it is the mentality of the people regarding PMS and getting caught that has those consequences, but fortunately for women in India things are changing and the mentality is changing. Though reluctantly people in India are starting to accept this change.

but dont they go hand in hand...When we talk about the devastations,we do tend to talk about every devastation right๐Ÿค”

Anyways,my last two cents

My last two cents ๐Ÿ˜Š

India doesn't have a very open outlook towards pre marital sex. If virginity was only about sex it wouldnt have been such an issue in the first place.Its a choice, a big one and definitely with a lot of repurcussions and its more than about just sex.Along with it comes family values,adherence to one's beliefs and one's power of determination.I believe that sex should be confined within the fence of marriage. Why ? Sex releases powerful emotions which can only be nurtured within the security provided by marriage.Sex a bodily need. Learning to control the sexual urges is self control. Sexual energy is very powerful, mastery over it gives great strength to a person's character.And thus a person who abstains from PMS is touted to be one of great characterโ€ฆโ€ฆ.

Having sex outside a wedlock isnt really the most judicious thing to do. Quite a bit of devastation is caused by out-of-wedlock births (e.g. high poverty rates for women and children), no-fault divorce and cohabitation.The consequences for both children and adults when mother-father marriage is not present (crime, poverty, drug abuse, teen pregnancy, school failure, and mental, emotional and physical problems). Many are unable to let go of the relationship if it breaks up - a percentage of this group falls into the mire of psychological troubles like stalking, obessions or may even just develop OCD (Obessessive Compulsive Disorders)๐Ÿ˜†๐Ÿ˜ญ. It's, by and large, always an act of irresponsibility and pseudo-adventurism, throwing standard precautions to the winds. Sex should not be treated as like any other need to be fulfilled. Those who are not mentally strong in this arena are prone to hardships ahead in their life and we, especially Indians, should treat pre-martial sex as any other slip-up in the life. To me anything you feel like hiding from society, your parents means that subconciously you are feeling that this is wrong to do.

Coping emotionally with its after-effects isnt quite easy,especially if one breaks up.
Pre-marital sex can seriously derail a future marriage life. Also the guilty feeling of that act will haunt one. It may not bother one at the moment. One must not cheat ones future partner of his/her innocense/ignorance over one's affair. Marriage is a relationship between a man and a woman, that goes beyond sex, and requires committment and honesty from both the partners.And thus I'm against lying about virginity. . Man woman relationship has been evolved over a period of time.. Committment to each other is the core of such relationship and a 100% commitment and responsibility would come only along with a nuptial bond.

This is our identity,our root and if we abide by it,it would mean that we are adhereing to our beliefs. An opinion on any matter by any thinking person would be overshadowed by ones upbringing, faith system and base ideals. SEX is a responsibility and not something too jejune. Sex in itself is a two sided coin - Either way we see it, there will be a justification, a reason, a purpose, a meaning and sense too,But one can weigh the pros and cons and make a wise decision.It is resisting the temptation which needs restraint, justifying gratification is an indicator of the guilt.

Finally,ending this debate on a controversial note

Sleep a thousand years and be kissed by the right prince rather than stay awake and be kissed a thousand times by the wrong frog!๐Ÿ˜›

Thanks for hearing me out patiently....

mkzara thumbnail
Our culture is a great culture. It has roots so far that it has shaped other cultures as well. However, we need to realize that with time comes the need to change, to evolve, to better oneself. Our culture needs change because right now a lot of people are clinging to old Victorian ideals which have no place in the modern world. I dont advocacte emulating the west for the sole reason of emulating the west; however, i do advocate learning from other cultures. If another culture has an ideaology or practice worth adopting into our own then i don't believe in discarding it simply because we dont want to mimic others. We have to learn to accept that sometimes our culture needs to change, some of our traditions might not fit anymore. It doesn't mean that we are leaving our culture behind it just means that we are growing with it.

PMS is still a controversial issue. Before people were extremely against PMS and they couldn't accept it at all. However, now India is starting to change. People are more open minded, they are more understanding and they are definitely more accepting. The rates of people engaging in PMS reveal that. This increase also can't be blamed on the west, simply because "they used to it and now we do so its their fault". We are adopting a practice, we have to take responsiblity for it rather than blaming others.

I don't support promiscuity or ONSs but i do support being in relationships where one has someone they care about, love, understanding, passion, compassion and companionship. I feel all of these things should be the foundings of a relationship, any kind of relationship. If two mature people are in a relationship, where they are settled enough to take the next step than PMS is acceptable. If two people are capable of understanding the consequences and protecting themselves against them then they have just as much right to be with each other as a married couple do. I equate the committed relationship with marriage while marriage offers thats ever so necessary monetary benefit that one can use for protection.Marriage as you said before only gives the added financial and legal security. Marriage doesn't provide love or care or compassion. People in committed relationships can be just as satisfied as those who are married, I know a lot of them so this is not simply an assumption.These people don't fear marriage they simply dont believe in a forced institution when they have more important things binding them to each other.

Buffie when you say people feel guilty about PMS, that is entirely an assumption that you make because you would feel guilty however most people i know understand the concept of relationships being more important than an actual legality and wouldn't feel guilty about being with someone they loved.I dont think people who are normal to being with will fall anymore into psychological problems by breaking a relationship where they had sex then they would if they were married. There is emotional trauma with ending a relationship which has nothing to do with sex.

About the lying, there are things in every time that are unacceptable to people even if they are wrong. In the past few decades women have started working outside of the house, but prior to that it was an insult if a man's daughter or wife or mother worked. For a while women lied until they were able to show the reality of their arguments. You can't just spring the truth on people, they can't handle it. Does that mean women working is wrong. That is rididculous, but people believed it and some women lied about doing that didnt make them wrong. It simply made them astute. You have to gradually ease people into the truth. Being with someone is not wrong and neither is lying about it. If you alone have to face the consequences then i believe women who are strong enough to fight the system will face them, but women who have families that will be hurt by this do the right thing in lying. There are shades of grey in life you can't just say lying is wrong and you can't do it no matter what. There are areas between right and wrong of necessity and need.
Aparna_BD thumbnail
Sorry Buffie i couldn't let a statement after the closing argument stay. ๐Ÿ˜ณ

Great job both of you. ๐Ÿ‘