VishaD. thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 8 Thumbnail + 7
Posted: 10 years ago

Child Marriage

Welcome everyone,

So its time for our sixth Discussion of the Week. So what is the discussion going to be about this time? As the title suggests, its going to revolving about the topic, Child Marriage.

As what we are currently seeing in the show, Kanhaiya who have returned to Srirampur discovers that he is the long lost son of Siddeshwar and he have in fact had a Child marriage with Chitrasi while he was 5 years old..

In your opinion, is a Child marriage acceptable in our current world? Is Child Marriage legal in our society?

What is your take about Child Marriage?

Hope this few points would have triggered your mind and do share your opinion on the same ðŸ˜Š

Most importantly, try to stick to the topic and have a healthy discussion ðŸ˜‰

Edited by Visha_Dhami - 10 years ago

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

ak75 thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 2
Child marriage is not accepted as per Indian Law. It is not valid and Chitrasi cannot be accepted as Kanhaiyya's first wife in any way. 
Sonali.S thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail
Nice Topic

I am totally against it and as Anu said its not accepted by law. How can two small kids who do not even know the meaning of the word Marriage be tied in a relation like this. And after that they are forced to accept their Chilhood Marriage. Its not less than a Harassment. Like in Case of Shakti-Dhaam, Chitrashi since 23 years was living a life of Widow. I mean why she does not tried moving forward in life. Its a serial and so the Son is back after years but in real life it still happens in many villages of india. If the husband got from Childhood marriage dies being a kid then the little girl is forced to live like widow. Chitrashi was not forced then why accepting Child marriage?
ak75 thumbnail
Yes. In olden days if the boy dies young then the poor girl has to live her whole life like a widow. How cruel. 
Sonali.S thumbnail
sad that it still happens in many indian villages and also not even the uneducated but many educated people like IS officers and doctors makes this happen...i have seen this in tv news channels
KamleeChhori thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 4
Agree with Anu di and Sona...!!
Here is a piece from the article that i read few months ago...

Case Study: A Child Bride Speaks

The 2006 Nepal Report on Child Marriage includes the following testimony from a child bride:

"I was married to a nine-year-old boy when I was three. At that point of time, I was unaware of marriages. I don't even remember my marriage event. I just remember that as I was too young and was unable to walk and they had to carry me and bring me over to their place. Getting married at an early age, I was destined to suffer a lot of hardships. I had to carry water in a small clay-pot in the mornings. I had to sweep and swap the floor everyday.

"Those were the days when I wanted to eat good food and wear pretty clothes. I used to feel very hungry, but I had to be satisfied with the amount of food that I was provided. I never got to eat enough. I sometimes secretly ate corns, soybeans, etc that used to grow in the field. And if I was caught eating, my inlaws and husband would beat me up accusing me of stealing from the field and eating. Sometimes the villagers used to give me food and if my husband and in-laws found out, they used to beat me up accusing me of stealing food from the house. They used to give me one black blouse and a cotton sari1 torn into two pieces. I had to wear these for two years.

"Never did I get other accessories like petticoats, belts etc. When my saris got torn, I used to patch them up and continue wearing them. My husband married three times after me. At present, he lives with his youngest wife. Since I married at an early age, early child-delivery was inevitable. As a result, I now have severe back problems. I used to weep a lot and consequently, I faced problems with my eyes and had to undergo an eye operation. I often think that if I had the power to think like I do now, I would never go to that house.

"I also wish I had not given birth to any children. Retrospective sufferings make me wish not to see my husband again. Nevertheless, I do not want him to die because I don't want to lose my marital status."

Edited by JalebiGirl - 10 years ago
Cutiepie_Rani thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 4
Child marriage in my opinion is a disgusting practice that should not be allowed.

I mean how can you marry someone without even understanding what a marriage is? It's plain ridiculous and very sad that it used to happen a lot and even today still happens in small villages in India. Very disturbing.
ak75 thumbnail
This content was originally posted by: JalebiGirl

The 2006 Nepal Report on Child Marriage includes the following testimony from a child bride:

"I was married to a nine-year-old boy when I was three. At that point of time, I was unaware of marriages. I don't even remember my marriage event. I just remember that as I was too young and was unable to walk and they had to carry me and bring me over to their place. Getting married at an early age, I was destined to suffer a lot of hardships. I had to carry water in a small clay-pot in the mornings. I had to sweep and swap the floor everyday.

"Those were the days when I wanted to eat good food and wear pretty clothes. I used to feel very hungry, but I had to be satisfied with the amount of food that I was provided. I never got to eat enough. I sometimes secretly ate corns, soybeans, etc that used to grow in the field. And if I was caught eating, my inlaws and husband would beat me up accusing me of stealing from the field and eating. Sometimes the villagers used to give me food and if my husband and in-laws found out, they used to beat me up accusing me of stealing food from the house. They used to give me one black blouse and a cotton sari1 torn into two pieces. I had to wear these for two years.

"Never did I get other accessories like petticoats, belts etc. When my saris got torn, I used to patch them up and continue wearing them. My husband married three times after me. At present, he lives with his youngest wife. Since I married at an early age, early child-delivery was inevitable. As a result, I now have severe back problems. I used to weep a lot and consequently, I faced problems with my eyes and had to undergo an eye operation. I often think that if I had the power to think like I do now, I would never go to that house.

"I also wish I had not given birth to any children. Retrospective sufferings make me wish not to see my husband again. Nevertheless, I do not want him to die because I don't want to lose my marital status."

😭😭
Sonali.S thumbnail

very sad...my heart cried..😭😭😭
--Jenelle-- thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 2
😭😭😭

This just broke my heart.😭😭😭
Edited by --Jenelle-- - 10 years ago