Debate of The Day!! -- RAKSHA BANDHAN!!

Posted: 13 years ago

FIRST OF ALL I WOULD LIKE TO WISH  A VERY HAPPY RAKSHABANDHAN TO ONE AND ALL !! (specially all our bhaiyaa's here at IF Wink Wink)

Rakshabandhan is a very special Indian festival, the celebration of the special bond between a brother and a sister.

Sisters tie a special band on their brothers' wrist on the day of Rakhi as a mark of affection. This thread, which pulsates with sisterly love and sublime sentiments, is rightly called the'Rakhi'.    

It is a way of telling your brother that you'll never forget how he teased you about everything, yet fought with those who spoke a single word against you and how you bid him farewell with a smile, and only he saw those tear drops in your eyes.

The delicate cord tied by the sister to the brother on this day pulsates with this sublime sentiment.The chanting of a holy mantra by the sisters while tying the thread says,

Yena baddho Balee raajaa daanavendro mahaabalah |
Tena twaam anubadhnaami rakshe maa chala maa chala ||

It means, "I am tying a Raksha to you, similar to the one tied to Bali, the powerful king of the demons. Oh Raksha, be firm, do not waver."

The mantra recalls how the demon king Bali had become powerful with the Rakhi on. The power of the mantra is supposed to protect the wearer from evil influences. This shows how dependent and secure a sister feels when she has a brother. Tying this Rakhi or Raksha signifies the re-strengthening of the bond between the siblings of opposite sexes.

The sister-brother relationship highlighted by the Rakhi goes far beyond the mere personal protection of a female from a male. It also implies the basic element of an amicable and harmonious social life where all members of the society look upon themselves as brothers and sisters and as children of one common motherland.

but now raksha bandhan seems to be the most dreaded of all occasion for the brothers !! LOLLOLLOL and offcourse the most awaited of all occasions for us ... aka sisters !! WinkWinkWink jab hum chun chun ke unse poore saal ka badla le sake !! EmbarrassedEmbarrassed lolzz ...... in the form of gifts offcourse !!

but the question that comes  here  is:

" Is it fair that on Raksha Bandhan and other festivals, brothers have to gift the sisters?? " 

unki pockets empty hojati hain Wink. Eik tu they have to protect the sisters, plus, also gift them too OuchOuch 

please do share ur thoughts on this topic !! ...... i know  that all bhaiyaa's here would feel !! WinkWinkWink 

also please do feel free to share your experiences or special moments and your relationship with your brother or sisters here !! do tell them how much u love them and care for them !! SmileSmileSmile  

aakhir yeh kacche dhaage ka rishta lohe se bhi mazboot aur pukka hota hain !! SmileSmile

and again  to all of my IF brothers and sister

Happy Raksha Bandhan !!

Hug

India-Fourms Development Team

Edited by Ms. Bholi Bhali - 13 years ago
0 Likes this

Sabko Raakhi aka Raksha Bandhan ki Subhkaamnayen!

I demanded and received 2 shirts from my sisters...I believe in iss haath le uss haath de...LOLLOL

Edit: I was wondering where RB thread disappearedLOL. My guess is that 90% of IF members are females, matlab kal aap sabka mood ekdam solid hoga.LOLLOL

Double Edit: Kal aap sab log bataan ki kitna turnover hua. LOLLOLLOL

Edited by SolidSnake - 13 years ago
0 Likes this
SS tum bhi na! LOL LOL LOL
0 Likes this
SS...u r xactly lyk my brother....he doesnt give me anything 4 raksha bandhan bt demands money himself.... LOL LOL ....cus on his behalf my papa gives us money and gifts cus he's compleltly skint himself.
0 Likes this

I agree, the holiday is not about giving gifts its about, luv and respect, and it should comefrom ones heart and not just 4 names sake..

Edited by teenindia_usa - 13 years ago
0 Likes this

Originally posted by *TiA*

SS...u r xactly lyk my brother....he doesnt give me anything 4 raksha bandhan bt demands money himself.... LOL LOL ....cus on his behalf my papa gives us money and gifts cus he's compleltly skint himself.

I used to do exactly that bachpan mein. I used to feel jealous of my sisters.LOL Aur main kabhi poore paise nahin deta thaa (jo bhi papa se milte they).LOL

Bachpan Ke Din Bhi Kya Din TheyLOL

0 Likes this
who says its abt giving gifts,its all abt love,nd gifts r just a token of tht.even when i dun gift anything 2 my sister,does it mean she wud not tie a rakhi?or she wud stop loving?
i never gift anyways LOL
0 Likes this
this holiday is not about giving gifts\money to your sisters, but they sisters tie the rakhi on you showing you how much they love you, and a gift\money is what the brothers usually give to the sisters to show their love for them Smile ..but us sisters still disserve the gifts Wink
0 Likes this