Debate Mansion

American English or British English? - Page 5

Morgoth thumbnail
Posted: 17 years ago

This content was originally posted by: bubble_gum

~LiL*PrInCeZ~!!! Ur so defensive - ur like a die-hard american english supporter. πŸ˜† πŸ˜† πŸ˜†

Naina did bring up a good point. It depends on what you feel comfortable with. But what abt writing in American English? Is writing 'mom' or 'color' easier than writing 'mum' or 'colour'? What do our fellow debate members have a say in this?

again "ease of writing" depends on what you're used to and what you've been taught from the very beginning. most people who prefer british english have been taught that way from the beginning and feel that they are making a spelling mistake when they use american english.

the same can be said for those who have studied american english from the beginning.

i frankly prefer using some american english words - especially for spellings such as encyclopedia (v. encyclopaedia), diarrhea (v. diarrhoea), analyze (v. analyse) - i find them more convenient to use.

conversely, i would not spell colour as color or jewellery as jewelry because I'm simply not used to it.

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

~LiL*PrInCeZ~ thumbnail
tanaz di...u r such a fence sitter (for this debate only)

lolz...u canadians r stuch in btwn πŸ˜† πŸ˜† πŸ˜†

and yea tanaz di is right....ease of writing follows the same procedure as ease of speaking...we spell words the way we learnt thm and r used to spelling thm....i dont think ive ever spelled anything the british way...its just 2 weird...lol and wats more is tht wen i see it spelled tht way i stop 4 a moment cuz it looks different than wat im used to...thn i get over it cuz i noe itz in british english

Morgoth thumbnail
Yeah, I know - I'm enjoying watching the debate from both sides this time. πŸ˜†
-Masakali- thumbnail
easier to speak and understand is american english, but my do the british people accents rock! they sound so sophisticated.
~LiL*PrInCeZ~ thumbnail
sophisticated?...lol yea yea watever...jus cuz u cant understand them πŸ˜†
popkurn thumbnail

How about Canadian English EHH?πŸ˜‰..this topic should be Canadian Eng or American EngπŸ˜›.

I prefer Can/American English..its so much easier and doesnt use big words..like Harry Potter😳..although when harry potter speaks in British English it sounds cuteπŸ˜†πŸ˜³

~LiL*PrInCeZ~ thumbnail
lolz priya...u ppl and ur "eeh" lmao...its soo cute and funny
Morgoth thumbnail
This content was originally posted by: i_luv_jay_sean

How about Canadian English EHH?πŸ˜‰..this topic should be Canadian Eng or American EngπŸ˜›.

I prefer Can/American English..its so much easier and doesnt use big words..like Harry Potter😳..although when harry potter speaks in British English it sounds cuteπŸ˜†πŸ˜³

I know, eh? πŸ˜‰

Hey, Harry never uses heavy duty words with the exception of spells! πŸ˜† And yeah, he does sound cute! 😳

Btw, is this a comparison on ACCENTS or just the structure of English? Because I do NOT think that the British Accent more sophisticated than American/Canadian.

bubble_gum thumbnail
Tanaz di! I thought u wer neutral like Swiss ppl! πŸ˜†

Harry Potter and his friend Ron sound so cute with a British accent! 😳

BTW, I had no idea my topic was gonna turn into a hot one! πŸ˜› There are a lot of strong-willed, defensive members here. (Yes ~LiL*PrInCeZ~ you are one of them πŸ˜› πŸ˜† )
Lost_Soul141 thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail
This content was originally posted by: T.

I know, eh? πŸ˜‰

Hey, Harry never uses heavy duty words with the exception of spells! πŸ˜† And yeah, he does sound cute! 😳

Btw, is this a comparison on ACCENTS or just the structure of English? Because I do NOT think that the British Accent more sophisticated than American/Canadian.

i think british english is!!! lol harry potter just sounds normal to me but maybe thats bcoz i live in englandπŸ˜†