Lootera Review Thread -Critic Reviews pg26 onward(Page 94)

Posted: 2013-07-08T18:00:09Z
Originally posted by AreYaar

Oye Himani ki bacchi! You watched this and  you STILL haven't watched Raanjhanaa? DuuudeTongueTongueTongue...why didn't you post your review for Lootera pehle then? Didn't want to be the tiny voice of dissent among all the "masterpiece" labels?LOL

@bold: I ditto that...I LOVED Udaan...LOVED it...and you know even Udaan started out as a slow movie in the beginning...so I was willing to give Lootera time if the ending had that emotional deliverance...which it didn't, sadly...it didn't hit me hard...and I still remember the ending of Udaan...now THAT left me with a lump in my throat...can't say that for Lootera...I'm not saying I wasn't touched AT all...but I think the predictability of the movie is it's undoing...and the lack of detailed sketching for the characters...especially Varun...combined with the fact that Ranveer is a good actor, not a GREAT one that he can infuse his own level of magic into something that doesn't exist.  Udaan had that emotional depth in its characters to a greater extent...even tiny cameos like Ram Kapoor's in that movie made a deeper impact than the supporting ones in this movie.

I honestly feel like Motwane could have worked on a STRONGER storyline than just paying a straightforward tribute to the last leaf...word on the cinematography being the real hero of the film...it's filmed beautifully but it doesn't leave a LASTING impression.

I actually don't even feel like watching it a second time...lol..it's very slow and predictable...and usually you want to watch something again if you can't figure it out or you love the acting/music...I can't say any of that for Lootera...it's too predictable to leave any sense of intrigue/mystery.

And you already know my answer for which movie you SHOULD watch atleast ONCE if not more than onceTongue

Are nahin..my first review is some bazillion pages back. LOL ...I've been discussing a little bit in the discussion thread too. But yes, I did like the film more when I first came out of theaters despite the flimsy story because I really loved the cinematography, the attention to detail, the songs, the direction, the acting than I did hours later/the next day (I think I just generally like some movies more in theaters than I would otherwise). That's when the underwhelmed feeling really sank in ...when all those glowing, fawning 5/5 reviews came out and I was like..hmm I didn't like it that much and I didn't think it was that good. LOL..then I was just confused..what did I miss you know? I thought there was something wrong with me and I spent the last few days trying to figure out why exactly I didn't love it like everyone else. LOL

But I think its eventually just that. I need a proper story..if not a proper story, I need layered, developed characters. If I don't have BOTH, then well I can still appreciate it, but not to that level because it takes away a significant connect. Varun was a static character. We really aren't given that much insight into him. Pakhi is more developed and she's the one we sympathize with In fact, some loose ends aren't even properly tied up. Where did Divya Dutta go leaving Pakhi alone with a fugitive?

I did tear up when he was putting the leaf on the tree with Zinda playing in the background. I was sure he was going to die putting the leaf on there...and now I think I would have almost preferred that. Udaan's last scene when they're walking off hand in hand...ohmygod I was bawling. It was so hopeful. A new beginning. I think Udaan was just better overall. yes it was slow too, but the payoff was much bigger.

Yes, I think Lootera's undoing is its predictability only...or simplicity is the more positive word..but it is almost too simple. I watched this interview of Ranveer's on TV and he said Lootera was a romantic thriller..and I was like...ConfusedLOL One chase scene does not a thriller make.

Haha yes I know ...I was going to watch that one only. But none of us could decide and my sister was pushing Lootera and it won because of good cinematography in the end. LOL

Its not that I hate this film. I still like it. I think it's well-made. But I just didn't LOVE it.
Edited by chocolover89 - 2013-07-08T18:02:25Z
3 Likes this

[Content Removed]
Posted: 2013-07-08T18:25:06Z
Originally posted by chocolover89

Are nahin..my first review is some bazillion pages back. LOL ...I've been discussing a little bit in the discussion thread too. But yes, I did like the film more when I first came out of theaters despite the flimsy story because I really loved the cinematography, the attention to detail, the songs, the direction, the acting than I did hours later/the next day (I think I just generally like some movies more in theaters than I would otherwise). That's when the underwhelmed feeling really sank in ...when all those glowing, fawning 5/5 reviews came out and I was like..hmm I didn't like it that much and I didn't think it was that good. LOL..then I was just confused..what did I miss you know? I thought there was something wrong with me and I spent the last few days trying to figure out why exactly I didn't love it like everyone else. LOL

But I think its eventually just that. I need a proper story..if not a proper story, I need layered, developed characters. If I don't have BOTH, then well I can still appreciate it, but not to that level because it takes away a significant connect. Varun was a static character. We really aren't given that much insight into him. Pakhi is more developed and she's the one we sympathize with In fact, some loose ends aren't even properly tied up. Where did Divya Dutta go leaving Pakhi alone with a fugitive?

I did tear up when he was putting the leaf on the tree with Zinda playing in the background. I was sure he was going to die putting the leaf on there...and now I think I would have almost preferred that. Udaan's last scene when they're walking off hand in hand...ohmygod I was bawling. It was so hopeful. A new beginning. I think Udaan was just better overall. yes it was slow too, but the payoff was much bigger.

Yes, I think Lootera's undoing is its predictability only...or simplicity is the more positive word..but it is almost too simple. I watched this interview of Ranveer's on TV and he said Lootera was a romantic thriller..and I was like...ConfusedLOL One chase scene does not a thriller make.

Haha yes I know ...I was going to watch that one only. But none of us could decide and my sister was pushing Lootera and it won because of good cinematography in the end. LOL

Its not that I hate this film. I still like it. I think it's well-made. But I just didn't LOVE it.

LOL oh achha maybe I missed your review...I've kinda skimmed through the thread but I guess it moved too fast...interesting that Raanjhanaa released before but the threads have about the same number of pages already...lol

lol yeah I read about them touting this movie as a romantic thriller...that one chase sequence also was ermm...the chase sequence in KPC was so much better.

The story and the characterizations are sorta half-baked...Divya Dutta kab aayi, kab chali gayi pata bhi nahin chala...lol...Varun was static as you put perfectly...Pakhi is given more shades but even  then overall I'm not like wow I love this character and feel so much for her...utna nahin ho paata.

I liked this movie too...it's definitely a QUALITY film...but I don't have anything to rave about it...that's all I mean too.
2 Likes this

[Content Removed]
Posted: 2013-07-08T18:30:03Z
Awesome movie a must watched
1 Likes this
Posted: 2013-07-08T20:07:37Z

Lootera Misses A Place In Koimoi's Top 10 Highest Opening Weekend – 2013 List

There has been mixed views on Vikramaditya Motwane's Lootera. While the critics can't stop singing praises of the film they have hailed as a masterpiece, box office collections haven't really translated the same. As predicted in our earlier column, the film actually failed to do wonders at the Box Office. Result? It couldn't enter Koimoi's Top 10 Highest Opening Weekend List of 2013.

Lootera with an opening weekend collections of 19 crores mildly fell short of Raanjhanaa's opening weekend record of 19.90 crores. Though critical acclaim has been siding with Lootera, the film's premise won't enthrall many. Highly urbane and beautiful in its taste, Lootera is a film that requires a polished intellect to fathom.

Ranveer Singh and Sonakshi Sinha in Lootera Movie Stills

It is disappointing to see films so loaded in content failing to achieve well at the domestic box office. Similar fate was faced by Abhishek Kapoor's Kai Po Che! which can easily be named as another one of this year's most overwhelming films. In its opening weekend, the film could only manage an income of 18 crores, with which it too missed a place in Top 10 Highest Opening Weekend's list. While mediocre and mindless entertainers like Yamla Pagla Deewana 2 and Himmatwala have managed to rank themselves in the higher number on the Top 10 Highest opening weekend's list, masterpieces like Lootera cannot acquire commercial success as our audiences are always more impressed by masala flicks than beautiful films.

The positive word of the mouth might help up the collections of the film to pick up especially in the urban centers and important multiplexes but the beginning isn't up to the mark given the film's brilliant fabric and mesmerizing beauty.

Koimoi.com Bollywood Box Office – Top 10 Highest Opening Weekend Indian Movies 2013

(all-India net collections) (in Rs. crores)

Bollywood 2013
Box Office Positions

Movie

Lead Stars

Directors

Opening Weekend Collection
in Crores

Yeh Jawaani Hai Deewani

Ranbir KapoorDeepika PadukoneKalki Koechlin,Aditya Roy Kapur

Ayan Mukerji

Race 2

Saif Ali Khan, Deepika Padukone, John Abraham

Abbas Mustan

Himmatwala

Ajay DevgnTamannaah

Sajid Khan

Shootout At Wadala

John AbrahamKangana RanautAnil KapoorSonu SoodManoj BajpaiMahesh ManjrekarTusshar Kapoor

Sanjay Gupta

Special Chabbis (26)

Akshay KumarAnupam Kher

Neeraj Pandey

Yamla Pagla Deewana 2

DharmendraSunny DeolBobby Deol

Sangeeth Sivan

Ghanchakkar

Emraan HashmiVidya BalanNamit DasRajesh Sharma

Rajkumar Gupta

Matru Ki Bijlee Ka Mandola

Imran KhanAnushka SharmaPankaj Kapur

Vishal Bhardwaj

Aashiqui 2

Aditya Roy Kapur, Shraddha KapoorShaad Randhawa

Mohit Suri

Raanjhanaa

DhanushSonam KapoorAbhay Deol

Aanand L Rai

0 Likes this

[Content Removed]
Posted: 2013-07-08T20:18:40Z
Lootera Monday Box Office Collection

Lootera has collected around 3.4 crore nett on Monday at the box office as per estimates. Film has registered a drop of around 54% from Sunday. Drop is around 25% from Friday. Film total collection after 4 days is around 20.9 crore nett. 

Drop on Monday suggest that film will struggle to sustain well on weekdays. Although drop is in normal range, but it has to be remembered that film just got an average opening in the first weekend. Yes, film had good jump on Saturday and Sunday, but still that was not enough as film embarked slow start. With Tuesday collection picture will be more or less clear for the film.

Collection Breakup - 

Friday - 4.5 crore nett.
Saturday - 5.75 crore nett.
Sunday - 7.25 crore nett.
Monday - 3.4 crore nett (Estimates)

Total - 20.9 crore nett (Estimates).
0 Likes this