Thoughts on suicide?

Posted: 10 years ago
Since Jiah Khan's suicide has sent a wave of shock across the Industry and also on IF, a range of different opinions on suicide have come forth. Some think that suicide is a cowardly act and that she simply didn't have the courage to deal with life's problems. Others think that because she was going through chronic depression, she felt suffocated within herself and couldn't bear to stay alive. 

What are your thoughts on suicide, both exclusive and inclusive of Jiah Khan's case?
As if inflicting pain, even on the smallest scale, is easy for most people. How many people have to mentally prepare themselves before ripping off a bandaid, or crib about paper cuts?

People who go the suicide route weren't themselves, nor were they in a healthy place mentally.  Don't see why people feel the need to judge someone who's passed in the first place, let alone come up with their own answers for the whys and what's...it's pathetic really. 

Most suicide victims are either mad or reach a point that they cannot take it anymore. Often it is related to affairs of the heart or a financial loss.
Exam stress, loss of someone close, sickness and ill health, etc, etc.

It is important that they are accompanied by someone during such times or undergo some counselling too.

The world is not as easy place to live when there is no peace and happiness.
That is why there are so many suicide bombers too. They are all quite mad or brain washed.

The worst part of this World is there is a lot of fear. The amount of love in this World is low. I learn this hard fact because even in families siblings quarrel with each other, parents ridicule their children etc. Does anyone realize how much mental pain these things can cause? And most importantly why is someone cruel to another person? That is because he/she desperately is seeking love. And no one in the World is such that he/she doesn't deserve love. We know men and women commit suicide because of the rejection they have to endure from girlfriends or boyfriends. Why do they do so? Because they find it difficult to endure the pain of rejection. Madame Curie and JKRowling did contemplate suicide atleast on one occasion. Where are they now? I do admit the rejection is really painful. But one thing I also learn is I don't deserve to be rejected and I can tenderly accept myself. And the person who rejected me did that because she could not understand my love. She is just like the scorpion who stung the saint who tried to rescue  the creature. What did the saint tell about that scorpion? He told that is all the understanding capability of the scorpion and the scorpion does that because he believes that is the only way he could save himself. That is the case of the rejecting b/fs or g/fs.. They believe they would be in danger if they commit. How many people accept this point? If the saint says, the scorpion has no right to sting him, then the saint would be in pain. And if a person says being rejected in love means something is wrong with him/her, he/she will find it difficult to get out of that rut and if that person feels the pain is too much that person commits suicide.

Every person has to endure the cruelty from others in one stage or the other and that has been the case more so for those who became great. While the amount of love in this World is limited, God's love is unlimited. Only those people who learn this and live by this principle, won't go for suicide.   Why couldn't Dhruva's father love him? Dhruva did the right thing when he was struck by this pain. He sought the love of God which is available to all. 

I won't comment on those people who choose to end their lives. But the one thing I learn is they have another alternative which is just to seek God's love which is knowing the loving capability of oneself. 
What makes me angry is the insensitivity of people. Not just people on IF or other social media websites but in reputed newspapers. I was reading the tribune today where an opinion piece journalist wrote Jiah should have lived for those who loved her citing the antecedotal evidence of his friend with brain tumour. Have these so called scholars ever picked up a book? Read about clinical depression? Heard of the numerous suicide hotlines, NGOs, etc. who work their butts off trying to help people. The world acknowledges this as a disease because it is. To dismiss suicide as an act of cowardice is cowardice in itself. I know people who would shit in their pants than hear a mental illness diagnosis. HIV is not considered as much a death sentence (thank God for medicine) as mental illness.
Imagine how hurt the family would be reading her twitter, picking up a newspaper, turning on tv only to have to hear that their suffering of their living daughter did not end with her death. That she was not allowed her rite of passage to the other world. That even this last aspect of her life is being questioned all because some of us are incompetent enough to pretend there is no problem. It does not have to happen to you for you to realize it exists. Unfortunately, it is not so.
The world needs education and compassion. A human being who has done no harm to you passed away. If you cannot mourn, do not rejoice.
Bless her soul.
Frankly the pain of losing someone close is very hard to bear; especially for the parents.
God help them.
I was shocked beyond anything when I heard the news of Jiah Khan's suicide. I'm not particularly fond of my favorite actress, let alone a hardly-seen one like her. But suicides always take you by surprise, I daresay. Nobody could possibly have seen a celebrity's suicide coming yet we must all have got our on two cents on how the institutions goes about.

As far as I am concerned, suicide is not cowardly. But considering it and backing out is. People are seldom complacent about the lives they lead, there's enough examples from every walk of life to prove that for us, eh? So, at times some of us tend to feel like ending it. I used to cut myself. Nothing I did was major but there are a few dull scars I can still spot on my arms. But I never came about to give my attempts a finale because I was too cowardly to end my life, however dismal and worthless I was into believing it was. What I am really trying to put across is, this discipline has numerous loopholes. One needs guts to both end a perfectly miserable life and also to march on. And it's a matter of seconds in which they decide what's it going to be, life or death.

There have been many philosophical arguments about Jiah Khan's suicide that contend that suicide is immoral and unethical. One popular argument is that many of the reasons for committing suicide like depression, economic hardship are transitory and can be ameliorated by therapy and through making changes to some aspects of one's life. However, the argument against this is that while emotional pain may seem transitory to most people, and in many cases it is, in other cases it may be extremely difficult or even impossible to resolve even through counseling or lifestyle change, depending upon the severity of the affliction and the person's ability to cope with their pain.

If the medication and therapy are not doing any good and you are miserable and do not wish to live anymore, it is your life to take, nobody gets to call you a coward for easing the pain and deprssion you are going through, which none of them have even ounce of experienced. Contrary to cowradly, I say it's pretty a  kinda heroic act cause it takes guts to end one's own life. 😳

I find it amazing that some people think it's 'selfish' for a person to kill herself or himself because someone else might be upset by it, yet do not think it's selfish to expect someone else to live with, what is to that person, unbearable pain and suffocation. ðŸ˜†
As this topic is 'thoughts on suicide', I like to say certain things. One thing I know is I have no right to use words like cowardly, immoral, unethical, selfish etc. about any other human being because my own knowledge is limited and I have no right to judge others.

One thing I could learn is every suicide is not the same. There are people who commit suicide because of depression or psychosis and there are also people who commit suicide for manipulating others. Whatever we say about people who commit suicide, i sincerely feel we have to discourage people from commiting suicide for manipulating and controlling people.  

And then there is one more area to consider. have we ever asked one question? How does an average non-celebrity view a celebrity? Celebrities have to accept a fact that non-celebrities are envious of them and they have to cope up with some amount of insensitive nature of the non-celebrities. if masses are not of that way, how could film magazines be popular as all that we see in some of these books is scandals about the filmstars? We have to see from this angle how people view the suicide of the celebrities. of course a lot could be said about the psychology of the non-celebrities here. But it is a matter in another topic. 

Again even if a suicider will say he/she has to end his/her life because his/her life's loss is not going to affect anyone, it is not true. Even now, we have to accept that Jiah Khan's parents will be pained a lot. Who is responsible for the pain of her parents? 

Baazigar, Definitely humans are not robots in the sense you are saying. But then every human being could be moved by love, understanding and being with that person with care and compassion. But the whole problem is the love supply in this World is very limited.  Even though every human is capable of being caring, compassionate, gentle, tender, understanding and loving, the way they behave is totally different and this causes a lot of problems in this World including suicides.

Definitely, bless her soul 

More points on suicide.

Suicide because of mental illness and because of not being able to cope up with stress are very different. 

When I was studying in engineering college, three students committed suicide. One of them did that because even though he topped the class till twelfth, he found engineering studies very difficult and as he could not score marks he committed suicide which was the note he made. What could be said of this? Another girl committed suicide because her love was not reciprocated.

When I was in ship, a few persons committed suicide jumping into the sea. Why? I know that a person with low mental health won't be let to work in the ship. So they committed suicide not being able to cope up with life and the family problems they had.

Here we have talked about people who all on a sudden end the life. Then there are others who harm their body more and more by drinking, smoking etc. Can we consider this as slow suicide?

This is all the bottom point. I have no judgement on those people who end their life this way. But the point that those persons ( those who are not having mental illness) have other alternatives could not be ignored and no person must be encouraged to commit suicide.

Edited by maha2us - 10 years ago