Posted: 10 years ago

Living in Joint family

So its time for our fourth Discussion of the Week. So what is the discussion going to be about this time? As the title suggests, its going to revolving about the topic, living in joint family.

As what we are currently seeing in the show, the Chaturvedi Nivas is going to be sold and everyone will have to be going in their own way after living together all these years.

In your opinion, what do you think of living together? What is the advantage of living together and have you experienced it?

What are the advantages and the disadvantages of living together as a big family and living separately?

Hope this few points would have triggered your mind and do share your opinion on the same 😊

Most importantly, try to stick to the topic and have a healthy discussion 😉

Edited by Visha_Dhami - 10 years ago
Nice topic. Well the thing is we rarely see joint families these days. Our generation is of such where everyone tends to go their separate ways.

I know for me, its just me and my sister. No guys in the house. So one of us will always have our parents by our side. I don't want to part from my parents or have them live on their own in old age. 

Its tough living in joint families sometimes, but it also depends on family to family. 

One thing I know for sure is that my parents will always be with my sister or with me, but never alone. At old age, we wouldn't want to take any risk.

I respect anyone and everyone who still live in a joint family, happily ever after! :)

Tv shows tend to portray living in joint families negatively unfortunately. But that isn't always the case.
beautifull discussion visha...i thin that living in a joint family is the way to go!! by living together families would learn to respect each other and other's views...i think families these days are not close anymore and i wish for that to come back...becoz i believe a family that lives together stays together
It depends on the family itself. But for me, I prefer living separately. Just with parents and that's it. No aunts, uncles, cousins, etc. 
Joint families tend to have alot of jealously and fighting among the family members. Just as depicted in these serials, everyone wants their share of property, etc.

When you see your family once in awhile, you tend to appreciate them more and treat them with more affection and respect.
The first ten years of my life I was in a joint family. As a kid I remember  playing with my coutless cousins, climbing trees, eating mangoes, swimming in the pond, playing in the rain, fighting (girls v/s boys)  Then we shifted to our own house and it was my parents , me and my sis. It was very strange for some months. But kids adapt very easily to any situation.  We used to meet in school  every day , during festivals , functions etc so it was OK. Even if there was some disagreements between elders we were not aware of it. I think we all share that bond even now though we are scattered in different parts of the country/world.
So, as a kid I enjoyed joint family but now I am not in favour of it. I need my freedom and space and I can't imagine my MIL breathing down my neck 24/7. 
@visha.   good topic discussion 👍🏼 👏

@rani.   I am proud of you.  your words made me appreciate that there are still young generation who do think about family and especially for the parents future with their children 🤗

@sanjana, julie and ak75.    I respect your views 🤗 👏
Edited by Ms.S.K. - 10 years ago
For me joint family is parents, brother(s) and their family & unmarried sister(s).   

I myself come from big family but my parents are no more but we unmarried sisters live with my brother's family.  

This tradition in our family has been ongoing for years and proud to say living in UK we still continue. Now my niece and nephew respect the value of joint family despite born and bred in UK.   Up to us for them to adopt east and west culture to what extent.

Edited by Ms.S.K. - 10 years ago
Nice replies guys and we have pros and cons in both.

Based on my own experience, we don't live in joint family but my father wants all his children's to marry and live in the same house which my mother asks my father not to have much hope as they don't know who would change upon marriage. But of course, living in a family together means more people around, sharing responsibilities together and its really fun that you have all your close relatives together with you under the same roof. 

I normally get to experience this concept of joint family once a year during Diwali when all of us return to my grandmother's house where all the rest of her kids would return with their family too. Yes, its fun but it always made me sad to see how only my mother has to do all the work from cooking to washing. So up to an extend, i feel that a joint family concept will only work depending on how understanding the rest are 😊
Exactly visha. That's the reason I don't favour joint family. You always see 1-2 ladies slogging away in the kitchen and do all the work.
That's true Anu, and this is only while it was a 5 days stay. Just imagine if its always 🤔