Pavitra Rishta

Women of Today - Pavitra? in Pavitra Rishta?

Ashlaika thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 2
Posted: 11 years ago
This month is known not only for Shivratri and Holi, but internationally, it has a bigger significance, that is to celebrate WOMEN. March 8th, 2013 would have seen many celebrations country wide and worldwide to honour women, show them that they are worthy individuals who make a difference, that the script written for them: that of daughter, wife, mother, sister is not the script they have to read and follow for life.

This brings me to another script - that of Balaji Production's Pavitra Rishta aired on Zee TV. What can I say that has not been said already to praise this show. Ektaji and her wonderful cast and crew have done much over the last 3.5 years to entertain her audience and keep loyal viewers, like myself riveted to my television set.

However, recently this show has sunk to new lows; I'm still left wondering how this happened and what went wrong. I wait to watch PAVITRA rishta as women are considered Pavitra, but I'm left to wonder who and what is Pavitra in this show anymore. Who and what women really are, are they indeed holy, respectful, pure, PAVITRA?

What can we make of the women in Pavitra Rishta' let us look at the younger generation and what we see today.

Ovi is a spoilt, selfish, manipulative person. What makes Ovi such a wonderful person to be given all of her wishes and wants handed to her on a silver platter? I heard the saying that all is fair in love and war ' but is all fair in humanity? Why is blackmail and emotional duress lauded? Are we trying to send the message out that using these means and measures will get you all you want and you will never go unpunished in life? All evil must be punished in some way or the other or they will continue their evil - isn't that what our scriptures taught us? The end does not justify the means.

All shows must have a villain in a woman, and hence, the arrival of Punni. Punni is who she says she is and her comeuppance will be upon her soon.

That leaves the new Pavitra Lady of Pavitra Rishta - Purvi. Purvi is supposedly a woman everyone should laud, emulate, respect and love. She started off being a woman of TODAY, she started off as someone the young generation can relate to, respect, use as a role model and love. Now the PH and the channel have turned her into a lying, manipulative, unsanskaari girl. No man should love a woman that abandons him on his wedding day, yet Arjun still does. No child should have any respect for a mother that gives her up without once thinking about her. No sister can or should forgive her sister for keeping the death of her child from her and not allowing her to mourn. How can such a woman love and have intimate relations with a man (Arjun) and then the very next day break all the vows and promises made to him?

What is so wonderful about her now? Purvi is supposed to be 2nd lead after Archana and the lead of the new generation, but she is regressive beyond means and measures. I have completely lost respect in Purvi as a woman! I would never want such a woman as a sister, a friend or a sister in law for my brother. Such a woman who show that women have no respect for themselves or others, women who are not progressive in thinking and actions, such a woman who openly cheat and treat the man, Arjun Kirloskar, that unconditionally loved her like he was a toy, such a woman who's words and vows have no weight, such a woman does NOT deserve my time, respect, love or even money (subscription to Zee).

Ektaji is a perfect example of a strong, independent and successful woman, yet in this show she portrays sacrificial women who are nothing like that in comparison. They are weak, backsliding into past conformities, and never showing a true positive message.

Let us not fool ourselves that this is Television has no place in the reality of life. Television has been proven time and again to be one of the most influential tools on a person's thinking and their subsequent actions. So is this how we will continue to show women? Are these the women we are suppose to love and respect?

I am very well aware that for a soap opera to remain on air and to continue to flourish you need twists and turns to keep the viewers hooked. BUT ' there comes a point when we need to step back, and show that there is still faith and trust in the common goodness in people and humanity does exists as well.

There comes a limit to each viewer when there are only so much of burdens they are willing to see and bear and they want to BELIEVE and have faith again and this show can provide that for them. There must be point in when women are shown as strong creatures, when its shown that women's psyche have progressed, that women now have the belief and conviction in themselves. Hasn't that time come NOW? It's time to stop dragging this track. Time to show life, love, goodness, humanity again! Be a positive influence again for women. The women in this show are beyond regressive and beyond anything I would laud and promote in a Month when we are suppose to be celebrating a woman's strength and power..

I sincerely hope that women can be shown as strong, respectful, independent women who keep their words and promises. For Pavitra to shine through again in Purvi or Ovi... there is a lot to repent for... many words to keep and many promises and betrayals to make up for. Allow Pavitra Rishta to earn its name  again.

p.s Please note this is not a post on whose side is taken nor is it for Arjun. No bashing.

Edited by Ashlaika - 11 years ago

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

peachesnplums thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 4
Aldith said it all so well, that I want her post to be on page 1 (original is on page 2 of this thread). Quoting the post below ---

Originally posted by: aditty

Brilliant post Ashlaika!! You couldn't have written truer lines!!👏

Bwoy- PR has turned out to be one disaster and in my view it would be better to end the show now than to continue showing such utter rubbish to viewers!!

Where Ovi and Punni are concerned- at least the CVs have done a good job there by making the characters consistently negative BUT they have totally failed by allowing the wench Ovi to get everything she wants in life so far by whatever negative means possible!! Wow-CVs- what a message you are sending in the name of 'pavitra rishta'- that  a woman can always scheme, plot, con her way through life and she will always get what she wants and will never ever pay for her wrongdoings!! Hats off to you CVs (sarcasm)!!

Now as for Purvi, the new heroine- the CVs have failed miserbly with this character and I don't think that anyone can really connect with this messed-up, hypocritical heroine anymore!! Purvi started out as a strong, independent woman and someone who stands up for right and fights against wrongs BUT just look at what this character has become now- nothing but a big disgrace of a heroine who continues not only to hide her wrongs but she continues to justify them and then turns around to lecture other persons about their wrongdoings!! "Thou hypocrite, first cast out the beam out of thine own eye; and then shalt thou see cearly to cast out the mote out of thy brother's eye."( The Bible- Matthew chapter 7 verse 5)

Come on CVs- which decent, responsible woman would be intimate with her love and fiance two days prior to her wedding YET dumps him on the wedding day (for her Aai's and sister's so-called happiness), afterwards finds out that she is pregnant with his child yet hides the fact and emotionally blackmails him to consummate his marriage with his wife whom he does not love; then she lefts town goes to another city, marries a stranger to cover up her unwed pregnancy, returns home under the guise that she's pregnant with her  'deal  husband's' child; continues to hide the truth form her ex-fiance that she's pregnant with his child and to top it all- Purvi, the new heroine-then donates her own flesh and blood and new born baby to her wench sister Ovi- again not revealing the truth of the child's paternity to Arjun her ex-fiance and the father and hiding the fact from both Arjun and Ovi that they have lost their own child!! Now you tell me- can anyone find one decent word to describe such a woman and even moreso, a heroine?? Well -I certainly cannot!! 

I cannot connect with this show anymore-it has lost its esssence and its heart!! There is absolutely nothing in PR now to admire and to emulate from the new heroine 'Purvi' and from the deal marriages of Arjun/Ovi and Onir /Purvi which the CVs are now desperately trying to pass off as 'pavitra rishta' marriages!! What a big joke!!

Now-just when I thought that the CVs couldn't have sunk any further in showing such crap- they have surprised me yet again and have now outdone themselves in stupidity by now trying to force romance and a true relationship bewteen Onir/ Purvi just days after the heroine Purvi giving her baby away!! It is most absurd to show that a woman who have always wanted her child, who married a stranger to give her 'illegitmate' child a name- to just now simply hand hand over the child like some toy and just forget the child's existence and is now ready to romance with her 'deal husband!! This one ceratinly takes the cake!! At least, let the heroine do the right thing CVs- by first admitting her wrongs and correcting them!! BUT no, instead the new heroine Purvi sees no wrong and no injustice being done to her child by depriving the child of the love and nuture of its biological mother when she herself is/was an orphan and further, she sees no wrong in hiding the fact from Arjun that he has fathered a child with her!! Utter stupidity and a most pathetic portrayal of a heroine!! 

I am dying to see how successful this track will be with the Trps audience because Ekta and her CVs have killled a once beautiful show with their own hands!! Wake up Ekta and CVs- you need to redeem your heroine Purvi and and make her confess her wrongs and repent for them; allow her to make things right with Arjun who has been most wronged by her and alllow her to be a mother to her innocent daughter who needs her biological mother's love!! If you continue on this destructive path-  I gauarntee you that PR is going to suffer the same fate as the Titanic!!

Edited by peachesnplums - 11 years ago
Pancham101 thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail
And that...my friend ...is why it is hard to identify with this show.

Archana has always been shown as the strong one, atleast from what I have heard...
Purvi who was slated to be the next Archana , has now veered off into some random unfathomable direction

What I would have liked to see is a strong Purvi being able to put her life together after making such difficult choices of giving up Arjun AND keeping their baby. She could have found a good fpg ( friend, philosopher and guide) in the good doc. That story had so much potential.

All other BT heroines in recent times are exactly that ..strong and happening
It is a mystery why an especially woman-centric show needs to take this route.

K.Ahm thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Visit Streak 365 0 Thumbnail + 8
A very good post dear.

I can just say that all Ekta dramas, shows women to be either too mahan or too evil. There is nothing called being normal in her show.

If Ovi is a girl who gets all then purvi is the girl who gives everything. Its like two extreme of the same scale.

I am not sure why Purvi is even called a human, she is beyond that.

Would love to see Indian TV format changing for the betterment of the audience. Not just PR but all shows, for once I would love to see women being shown to be practical rather then being shown as emotional fool or obsessed lover or cunning and evil vamp.

Lovely post overall 👏and have nothing to say more.
Edited by mjht_ArVi4ever - 11 years ago
ashfaque2012 thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 2
Very well post. No need to comment anything. All my view are posted this thread. Again thank U.
rayadallie thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail
great post and excellent points. Sometimes I wonder how women are treat in some societies when i look at all the serials on zee most appalling is RSI.

I am certain that these very societies that are portrayed have progress a whole lot even if not as fast as we would have expect and these types of things are history,

Again I need not comment further as you have brilliantly put it all together
Edited by rayadallie - 11 years ago
TaeKook_BTS thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail Visit Streak 30 0 Thumbnail
Superb post ash luv it.I dnt wnt to talk abt ovi nd punni.Dey r alyz same bt purvi wht did dey do with her character?She was my favrt crctr bt nw i hate her to d coreRyt nw I knw 1nly 1 thing she doesnt deserve happiness aftr destroying arjun nd paris life
crazy2012 thumbnail
Thank You Ash for this much needed post.bingo👏⭐️.I would also like to share something, my personal opinion though, being totally disconnect from PR..

Yes, you are right that woman should be shown in more differently here. I do feel that now a day, girls have become so strong that they can face any challenge by themselves only. What I feel in Purvi that she always wants to be so perfect, so good for everyone except herself and for doing that, she does injustice with the persons who are closely related to her. May be she wants to make them happy, but she forgets that by act of doing so, she is indirectly insulting/hurting her well wishers.. We can not make everyone happy or satisfied, so we must not try to do so..

Secondly, I feel as this show telecast in the prime time on national television, BT which is one of the most reputed production house should be bit careful while creating any storyline... It depecits domestic violence, evil things on regular basis. As this is a show loved by International audience as well, this may create a wrong impression about Indian culture and heritage (and trust me , this is my practical evidence gathered from this forum only)..so for GOD's sake, they should show something positivity, goodness as well..

Thirdly, I agree that we get to see women in different shades - some give importance to money, some to love or some to career. So, character like Punni even does exist in our life too. But. I am requesting to BT, we switch on TV after entire day's hectic schedule, so please give us something which really can entertain us true sense.
nicegirl_good thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 4
The irony is they are trying to show how STRONG purvi is , she gave up her life and still breathing, she left her family and then got married to some NRI ..and even her illegitimate child got a name..even more, now she also has a also has a mother ..as Purvi has given her baby to her sister ..
They are trying to show us how Purvi lives for others. Yet, she is always sacrificing and smiling.
Ashlaika thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 2
Originally posted by: Pancham101

And that...my friend ...is why it is hard to identify with this show.

Archana has always been shown as the strong one, atleast from what I have heard...
Purvi who was slated to be the next Archana , has now veered off into some random unfathomable direction

What I would have liked to see is a strong Purvi being able to put her life together after making such difficult choices of giving up Arjun AND keeping their baby. She could have found a good fpg ( friend, philosopher and guide) in the good doc. That story had so much potential.

All other BT heroines in recent times are exactly that ..strong and happening
It is a mystery why an especially woman-centric show needs to take this route.

Exactly... I really cannot connect to this show anymore. I don't understand what they have done to Purvi.

You always expect the heroine of the show to be the good one and the others around her bad or stupid. But here in PR -  they are ALL  stupid, bad, immoral, lying, cheating, all vices -  so its hard to tell who is the heroine anymore.