Fan Fictions

ATTENTION-Against plagiarism! ModPostKsReplyPg42

AngelTeen thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 8
Posted: 11 years ago
Hello

We, Krani and myself, are here to talk about the widespread plagiarism around India-Forums. It seems like no story is safe around this place as members go around posting/wrongfully sharing another's story here on IF itself or on other sites and conversely copying work off other sites here.

This is a CRIME.

Wrongfully sharing someone's work without their permission or/and without giving a proper credit to them is infringement of copyright and posting someone else's work as your own counts as plagiarism - both of which are WRONG.

Due to this many writers have left IF permanently and many have moved to restricted access blogs something which is detrimental to both the writers and the readers. The writers lose out on readership and feedback which is all that they get for their work as they arent creating any profits out of it while the readers, genuine innocent ones, lose out on stories because the writers are no longer comfortable sharing them outside their own trusted group.

The crux of this problem lies, according to us, in the fact that IF refuses to do anything serious about this offence. There is no permanent banning of erring members and no way to properly safeguard authors' work against the simple act of copy pasting and that we find WRONG considering the writers make up an important part of the IF members community and if we arent wrong a large reason for the traffic on the site too.

So what are we proposing to do?

Well we need to fight plagiarism and the relaxed attitude towards it together! Readers and writers!

~ Please post here and post to Vijay and to the Mods and also help us in keeping a look out for plagiarized stories. 

~ Please READ the comments to a story before making your own for any posts about it being plagiarized. 

~ Please run a scan of your favourite stories/writers on Google to help make sure they havent been plagiarized. 

~ Please inform the writers if you see anything similar to their story/concept or exact copies of it anywhere! DONT assume they have posted it themselves.

AND support us in our following demands to IF by PMing Vijay/Mods about it - lets make IF safe for everyone! 

DEMANDS

1. Immediate temporary ban of post and quick review to determine whether the accusation of plagiarism against that author in that particular piece of writing rests true or not.
This will allow the accused enough time to defend themselves, and allow the MODs to determine whether the story was actually plagiarized or not. 

2. Immediate ban and deletion of all post if accusation is proved to be correct along with a clear note in the subject line which conveys to the reader that the work is one of plagiarism.
 This will result in the username no longer being allowed to post their work, and will send a message to the rest of plagiarizers how strict IF is in dealing with this offence. 

3. Noting down of IP address/Ban of IP address.
Stop people from making MIDs. 

4. Letting readers know via sticky topic.
As a new reader to a story, nobody checks whether the author has a history of plagiarism, and may encourage the author to write (resulting in more plagiarism). By sticky-ing it for a few days or so, you let the readers of the forum know why the story was deleted and what the author had done. This is necessary as a lot of readers are left in the dark as to why a story has suddenly stopped - and continue to encourage the writer to plagiarize by asking for updates. 

5. If plagiarism done outside forum but by a member of the forum, then a strict reprimand be sent to the erring member with a WL increase and a warning that any repetition of such offences will lead to IP address ban.
A lot of stories are plagiarized on Myedunia and other websites. By doing this, you will be stopping a lot of people from copying our work and posting it elsewhere. 

6. Removal of newbie accounts within a month if there is no activity via posts through the account.
 This is very necessary! A lot of newbies with 0 posts have been members for ages and only have accounts to silently stalk the MembersOnly posts, which is highly unfair to the writer. By doing this, you will encourage the members to participate in the forum, and you will weed out those potential plagiarizers who have no intention of ever commenting. 

7. Copyright registering of their work by authors.
his will be done to make the writers feel safe to post their work here on the Fan Fiction forum. 

8. A no copy code for every page, one which works across mediums of accessing IF.
The 'NOCOPY' right now is highly defective. We need one that actually works. Please look into this, ASAP. 

VIJAY's profile!
/user/3

START PMing people! Also PM Mods of Fanfic forum - their names are on the right of the main page of FF forum.

Our response to the new rules on plagiarism (ON Page 7) -

Originally posted by: Krani

ATTENTION EVERYBODY!

The recent Thread by Radha raised the issue of Plagiarism and how the forum will deal with it. 

If you don't know what I am talking about then click HERE

However, as writers we still do not feel secure

Throughout this post all IF has agreed to do is:

Raise warning levels against the plagiarisers. 

I am sorry but plagiarisers are not on the same level as common offenders on the forum and therefore I feel there should be a strict action against them, as compared to a measly 20% WL increase. 

I know IF is trying, however till the time we don't push for the change to happen - nothing will happen. 

So now we need your support more than ever

Let our demands reach Vijay, MODs everybody!

The points we have raised in our thread are valid and achievable. 

Please, please constantly PM Vijay, the MODs, tweet India-forums and Vijay to keep this thread in their notice. 

We are not going to back down now. 

Thanks for such an overwhelming support!

~K

RESPONSE FROM MOD

Originally posted by: AngelTeen

Hey guys!

Just wanted to tell you all that I received a reply from Radha who told me that the mods would be looking into this thread and the initiatives suggested and would try to discuss it with higher authorities soon but till then the new rules against plagiarism would be implemented...this means that we have managed to make them at least listen up! So dont stop now! Keep PMing Vijay and the mods and share the initiative with your friends!

VIJAY'S TWEET

Originally posted by: Krani

NEW UPDATE:

Vijay replied to my tweet and said he is working on the plagiarism issue.

This is great news. However that means that now we need to double our efforts and make our demands be heard to everyone. Please keep putting this link in your signatures, if you can take out a few mins, PM the MODs, PM everybody.

Get the word out.

Thank you so much for your support so far!

~K and Rae

Way to secure or at least track your work has been provided by -doe-eyes- on Page 39
https://www.indiaforums.com/forum/topic/3488526?pn=39

If you have anything you would like to add, please post here and we will look into it. Please help us in making IF safer for the writers and more comfortable for genuine readers!

Thank You

Krani & Rae
Edited by AngelTeen - 10 years ago

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Krani thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Engager 4 Thumbnail + 9
Everybody like/comment to show the support in fighting off plagiarism off this forum.

Unfortunately it's not take seriously as many plagiarists are allowed to go free. 

As readers you would have seen plenty of writers shifting to restricted blogs and not allowing many readers to read their work?

Why do they do that?

it's not because they want people begging for access, or to be mean. 

It's because of the plagiarisers

So you have an option. You can help us get rid of plagiarism by helping us get this in Vijay's notice and forcing him to take action. 

Or you can sit on it, not do anything and watch more writers slowly leave IF because of some people who have no regards for people's work and think it's fine for them to steal - when it's so, so, SO wrong!

If you don't do anything, you are in a way supporting the plagiarisers. 

So you have an option here. 

Here is Vijay's twitter - PLEASE tweet him to let him know that this time we are serious and enough is enough. We want protection against plagiarisers. We want the plagiarisers to be punished. We want this forum to be secure. 

twitter.com/vijaybhatter

India-forums twitter:

twitter.com/indiaforums

Guys we want the word to be spread EVERYWHERE! Put it in your signatures, PM the MODs, PM the Development team, PM Vijay!

Here are a few PMs of people:

Global Moderators:

Jayshree: http://www.india-forums.com/member_profile.asp?PF=820

Shruti:  http://www.india-forums.com/member_profile.asp?PF=130524

Aahaana: http://www.india-forums.com/member_profile.asp?PF=49949

Hetal:  http://www.india-forums.com/member_profile.asp?PF=4402

Be nice to these people! No hate mails or abuses at them will be tolerated!

~K
Edited by Krani - 11 years ago
AngelTeen thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 8
I have received a lot of flak and a few emotional PMs about how mean I am to not share my work with all readers...well guess what?

It was not all me who is behind that decision.

Its PLAGIARISM that makes me restrict my work to a trusted readership when in fact I want it to reach more people...why else would I have ever written on IF?!

We are trying to get Vijay and IF's attention and have listed our demands above...please help us in getting across to them because as much as it pains the genuine readers to not be allowed access to restricted blogs for no fault of theirs, it pains us writers too because we DO want to share our work because feedback is the only thing we are getting in return of it but we want it protected too because only we know how emotionally draining it is to see your work under someone else's name or to see it wrongfully shared without permission or/and credit! It makes us furious and also takes away our will to write!

Please join us in this endeavour to make IF safer!

Like and comment on this post!

Promote it amongst your IF friends!

PM Vijay and the Mods to take the writers of IF seriously and give them the respect they deserve!

Thank You

Rae

Edited by AngelTeen - 11 years ago
Bibliobibulus thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 5
I'm appalled that nothing is being done about this. Plagiarism on the forum has been a rampant problem for so long now. There have been concerted effort to tackle it in the past. And still nothing gets done. I hope the IF authorities sit up and take notice. We all lose out when talented writers decide to take their work elsewhere.. 
blayde thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail + 4
Definitely with you guys on this one! If anyone would like a simple hyperlink to copy and paste for this post, I've created one that I am adding to my personal threads to spread the word and and make people more aware. Just highlight and press ctrl+C

Here it is:
Edited by blayde - 11 years ago
_disha_ thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 4
I am just a reader of these wonderful FF's posted here and when someone's work is plagiarized  i feel so frustrated myself that i cannot even imagine what the author must be going through seeing their work under someone else's name. 
I sincerely hope the people who are in a position to get this issue resolved are able to do it in time before all wonderful writers leave IF and we readers are left without the pleasure of reading some beautiful stories.

felicitysmoak. thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 5
This just makes me sick to see people taking credit for other people's work. They put all the effort into writing an FF and some one just comes along and copies it all and gets credited 4 it. Will defo be joing you in and PMin the mod's and gettin this word across, cause its about time we end this plagiarism topic as its hurting a lot of people's feeling and I hate the fact that some of my face FF's have been restricted to blog's. Thanks 4 da post Krani and Rae :) xoxo
suma.2911 thumbnail
Group Promotion 1 Thumbnail
Good initiative. 

I particularly like the suggestion of noting the IP address of the plagiarizer. Smart!!

Supporting this.
akaps thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail
I am not a writer and I really admire the writers on IF because they are selflessly (not earning) writing to entertain us.  As a reader I  feel bad when a work I like is deleted due to selfishness of some people.  Will be supporting all the initiatives taken to stop such people.  

iwkknd12 thumbnail
Group Promotion 1 Thumbnail Fascinator 1 Thumbnail
I joined IF when some of the classic writers were still on and active. Unfortunately, I was a silent reader at the time because this was all very new to me. All of the sudden, I noticed more and more fics that were highly recommended disappearing because of plagiarism.

I honestly don't understand what gratification one can get from publishing a work they contributed squat to; but, even if not for others, they should think about themselves-- they are only preventing themselves from reading more such wonderful works, because authors won't feel safe to publish on forums that are so susceptible to plagiarism. 

We all love our tv shows, and its characters. The purpose of the forum is to promote creativity, discussions, and build on what we already see on the screen. It's pathetic that these plagiarizers don't understand that by harming the forum, they are stifling creativity, and disrupting the purpose of these sites. 

As wonderful as these sites can be for positive dialogue, they can equally spiteful and negative. Plagiarizers just fuel the negativity-- and we already have more than fair share of that.