**Writer [Reader] To Writer!**PG 76 - Page 7

Posted: 11 years ago
@Nabila - Thanks. Next time I kill somebody and want to know how to save my skin, I'll know who to go to ... 🀣 πŸ˜‰

@.Maria. - I had opened a similar thread, a few days ago. It was even stickied for around a week. But since participation of the members was low, the thread was unstickied =)
Originally posted by V323

@Nabila - Thanks. Next time I kill somebody and want to know how to save my skin, I'll know who to go to ... 🀣 πŸ˜‰

@.Maria. - I had opened a similar thread, a few days ago. It was even stickied for around a week. But since participation of the members was low, the thread was unstickied =)
Oh! we should give it to another chance as there are lots of members who are unaware of the plagarism and rules about it.
can you add the valid points about plagarism that most of the members have pointed in their post to the first page of this thread so whoever  come in this thread see those points.?
Ok someone asked about if writing a fic on Arhi based on a some other existing work is alright or not or if it constitutes to plagiarism.

I'll quote myself and then give you an example.

e.When your reference is another work , concept is another your character even named same been in same situations , but plot your own.
eg."A walk to remember" [reference] that the girl has leukemia but no one knows except her-the guy doesn't likes her-they fall in love-the truth comes out-she dies- he reforms.
IPKKND [concept] a love story of Arnav Khushi in a hate marriage(the guy doesnt likes her) she has leukemia and tells no one when she comes to know(the girl has leukemia but no one knows accept her)...and the story continues [your plot].

And of course you are not going commercial , because then you would be caught under some copyright enlistments.

So your Arhi fan fic is different from IPKKND totally and you take any other existing work as your base.

The good thing is putting a disclaimer , not copying that work word to word and keeping your "Arhi" fic  from becoming a remake of "that existing work".

How this can go wrong in commercial sense and the fact that you were not crediting the originals and/or copying the XYZ work and making it a fic on "Arhi" , whereas it is actually a fic on "that work" with changed names(now Arnav Khushi.)

A very famous case happens to be on a LOTR(Lord of the Rings) fic.
An FF writer writes a LOTR fic "Hidden Passions" on some LOTR characters.
The fic has no , absolutely no connection in any form to LOTR except for names.
This FF writer goes pro with "Hidden Passions" under the author name of "Lucia Logan."
The author changed the character names and got it published as an "original" novel.

An online reviewer,  recognized large passages as copied from Charlotte Bront's Jane Eyre, and criticized it on their site.

The supposed very highly praised "original" FF writer of LOTR was actually plagiarizing a book written in the 19th century.
She took refugee under LOTR where as all this time it was Charlotte Bronte who was being duped.

The story used not only the plot, but also extensive textual quotes from Charlotte Bront's Jane Eyre.

The publisher withdrew the book from distribution.
Lot of money went to drain and so did the creditability of FF writers who  have been known to have an imagination beyond the originals.

What i want to say as a reader of both originals and Fan fictions is that , getting inspired , quoting dialogues , creating your concept on an existing story is not a crime in the community of Fan Fictions globally.
We are not making money , we are not stealing anyone's limelight in the "real" world.

You have to realize that when we want an action taken against someone , who as it is  takes our work and as we call them here a "plagiarizer", is a problem of the "Fan Fiction community" , which is global.
This problem is not of the real world.

When we go with our complaints to the real world , they'll ask you:
RW:" What you wrote?"
YOU:"A fan fic."
RW:"On what?"
YOU:"XYZ."
RW:"But fan fic is breach of copyright law."
YOU:"Excuse me? Im an original , she/he stole my work.(point at the plagiarizer)"
RW:"You confessed your an FF writer , so how can you  be an original?"
YOU:"I didnt do this for commercial purpose.Its  my words and concept."
The FF plagiarizer: "Me too. I didnt do that for commercial purpose.I was inspired by her/him(pointing at you)."
RW:"So you , writer A of the FF will be scot free from copyright and if you go scot free same does that plagiarizer."

Like all communities , FF community has a code of conduct and stealing someone's work is a taken for granted breach of those codes.

What ever could be done will only be restricted to the boundaries of this community.

Its a community problem and as a community only be it solved.

No offense to any religion , but for example as im a Muslim , in Islam drinking alcohol is prohibited. Its a taken for granted and written code of conduct.
Someone breaches it.
We cant take them to court  but it is said that her/his religion dissolves.
In some sects people don't eat non-veg.
Someone eats  it.
We cant take them to court  but it is said that her/his religion dissolves.
(Religion/sects are form of communities)

Similarly stealing work - break code of conduct of FF community globally - we cant take you to court but according to our code of conduct you need to be dissolved.

PS_ these are my original thoughts , please donot drag me in any scoop that pertains doubts!
Edited by 18shabbo - 11 years ago
hey

well from past few months i am thinking about writing an ff that is taken from movie concept
can we do that i mean the main story line but dailoges and scene of our own with some scenes from movie 
woah too late to notice this thread??? nope ..  just checked the date!!

wonderful thread!!!

this helped me a lot ... thanks for the links given~.

something i needed at this time to improve my writings...

and yeah I am not a good writer but can try to help!!

it would be my pleasure to learn and help at the same time 
Originally posted by pancakes

hey

well from past few months i am thinking about writing an ff that is taken from movie concept
can we do that i mean the main story line but dailoges and scene of our own with some scenes from movie 

I think its allowed dear... better if u give the credit for the film first and continue with the story ...
I've edited in 'reader' into the title.. and three new links from this thread have also been added to the second post [underneath main post]... 
Originally posted by deetha

I think its allowed dear... better if u give the credit for the film first and continue with the story ...

thanks now i can write it😊
i am also here to help...
for help.u can.pm me or scrap me anytime...
i am also available for help
These are my two cents, and this is literally how I feel. 

In terms of concept and plot, yeah the two things differ however if the concept is too similar to that of another person's I think that can be slightly unfair to the person who originally came out with it - especially if the concept is not that well-known.

For example, if tomorrow I found a story that had a cop Arnav, and a helpless Khushi with an unknown, dangerous past and their future gets intertwined together, with him wanting to protect her - I would be pissed. I know I can't cry plagiarism because it's just a concept and it depends heavily on how they write the story, but I would still be upset. 

So shouldn't there be a line? 
Should the writer who is venturing into writing a story with a concept (not common) that is very similar to another author's credit them for that idea? 

~K