Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

rogerrocks thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 4
Posted: 11 years ago
Watched the movie today..Honestly am falling short of words..Its sheer poetry in motion as one of the critics mentioned..There is something so endearing about the movie and its makes you feel all warm inside..Its so real and close to life that you start caring for every single character in the film..I was never a fan of 3 Mistakes of my Life but hats off to Abhishek Kapoor for such a brilliant adaptation..There are several changes made to the story which actually benefit the movie a great deal..The first half is breezy and entirely spent on building the characters and their interpersonal relationship..The second half on the other hand is power packed and leaves you with lil time to think..The best part about the movie is you can connect to every single character and empathize with them..I liked ZNMD but KPC is several notches above given that it is so true to life and takes inspiration from several real life events..Abhishek Ksapoor proves to be such a master storyteller and gives equal importance to all three protagonists..There is no hero in the film and this is one place where it scores over 3 Idiots..The cinematography is breathtaking and the bg music is brilliant..Its a huge plus that there are but 3 songs which don hamper the flow of the narrative..The sequence where India beats Australia and subsequently Omi and ishan patch up is brilliantly done..Special mention to the climax..Hats off to the team for such a brilliant improvisation of the insipid climax in the book..Its so heart wrenching and so well done that you cant help but get moist-eyed..
Now coming to the performances (SPOILERS AHEAD), Rajkumar Yadav is such a treat to watch as Govind..As the business minded introvert, he scores and how..His little interactions with Amritha  Puri are such a delight to watch..He expresses so much with minimal words and portrays the awkwardness to perfection..Watch out for the scenes where he nervously tries to reason with Vidhya in the autorikshaw, his breakdown after the earthquake, his outburst when Ishan steals money and ofcourse the climax.. Coming to Amit, he is brilliant as Omi..The character of Omi is really well sketched and he shows the maximum character growth..His transformation from a fun-loving guy  to a fierce politician is very well done..Amit particularly aces that scene where he learns about his parents' death..Its so real that you cant help but feel his pain..Needless to say he is amazing in the climax when he realises he has shot Ishan and eventually in the stadium when he breaks down when he sees Vidhya..Amritha Puri looks perfect as Vidhya and deliveres a very natural performance..More than her scenes with Govind, the ones with Ishan are very heart warming and perfectly done..Thew scene where she confronts Ishan and tells him how they are all his fans to boost his confidence was my personal favourite..Now coming to Sushant, am honestly falling short of adjectives..I have watched him in his telly shows and the effort he has put in to groom himself and look the part in KPC is quite telling..He totally stuns you and leaves you in awe of his performance..There is not one scene where he goes OTT and the subtlety and understanding with which he enacts Ishan leaves you asking for more..There is this boyish charm to him which you cant ignore..I have never thought of Sushant as particularly good looking but you cant help but be charmed by him after watching KPC..He has an infectious smile and an awesome screen presence..His interactions with the kid Ali tugs at your heart strings..He is particularly brilliant in the scenes where he has a fight with kid and then goes and apologises, the one where Ali score a half century and he looks on indulgently with so much affection and pride, then the one where he finds out about Govind and Vidhya's affair and finally the climax..Even the most hard hearted souls would shed a tear when Ishan dies towards the end..It comes out of the blue and leaves a deep impact..The last shot of Ishan looking on when Ali scores a boundary off his first ball in his debut match touches your heart and is a fitting end to such a brilliant movie..Its sad that Sushant din get to exhibit his brilliant dancing skills but when you have acting chops like this, it really doesn't make much of a difference..I haven't felt like this about a movie for a long time..It keeps haunting you long after you have left the theaters.Its a MUST WATCH..Movies like KPC deserve to do really well.   
Edited by rogerrocks - 11 years ago
DB_reloaded thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 8 Thumbnail + 5

Kai Po Che has opened to a very good response for the morning shows on Friday. The film was carrying excellent pre-release reports and reviews, UTV marketed it well and the music was quite popular with the youth.

The target audience is the urban youth, which explains why the film has opened well at big city multiplexes. The opening is in the 60-70% range at premium multiplexes, while at other places it was around 40-45%.

Given the overall positivity around the film (good reviews, everyone who has watched it had liked it), Kai Po Che is expected to show good growth in business over the weekend. The film has been called a 'lambi race ka ghoda' by the trade.

Stay tuned for all the box office reports of Kai Po Che – directed by Abhishek Kapoor.

gilmores thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Visit Streak 365 0 Thumbnail + 8

The Front Row review of Kai Po Che

Kai Po Che is a moving portrait of friendship, loss, forgiveness. Working from Chetan Bhagat's best-seller The 3 Mistakes of My Life, writer-director Abhishek Kapoor lovingly constructs a camaraderie so deep and abiding that you know it must be splintered. Ishaan, Govind and Omi, three middle class boys in Ahmedabad are swept away by currents that are beyond their control. Great horrors unfold and yet, when the deeds are done, a sense of redemption remains.

The story begins with the three - Ishaan played by Sushant Singh Rajput, Govind played by Raj Kumar Yadav and Omi, played by Amit Sadh - embarking on their first business venture - a sports shop with coaching facilities. Ishaan was an aspiring cricketer but like thousands of boys in India, his talent was lost in the maze of selectors and politics. He morphs into a hot-tempered but unusually generous coach. Govind, the cautious and brainy one, keeps a strict eye on the finances - the other two call him baniya. And the loutish but unquestioningly loyal Omi, serves as the financer.  He manages to routinely extract money from his uncle who is a political leader in a right-wing Hindu party.  Ishaan's star pupil is a scrawny Muslim boy. We are a few months away from the Gujarat riots. You know that no good can come out of this.

Abhishek's biggest success is that he and his writers have created three-full bodied characters - these boys with their towering ambitions and aching vulnerability, are people you and I know. And then, most critically, Abhishek has found three actors to inhabit the characters wholly. Sushant, Raj Kumar and Amit become Ishaan, Govind and Omi. Their lack of stardom works in their favor. We believe them. We partake in their joys and struggles. Kai Po Che is beautifully shot by Anay Goswamy but it's not glossy. You can almost feel the sweat and dust of the narrow lanes. And the icing on the cake is the song Manjha by composer Amit Trivedi and lyricist Swanand Kirkire. It has a melancholy that reminded me of Kirkire's other gem, Baanwara Mann.

What doesn't work as well is the screenplay. There are stretches in which the film slows down enough to make you restless. In places, the narrative movement is jerky and not fully convincing - the boys recover from a big financial blow with little stress. I also found the Gujarati dialogue a little distracting. Abhishek's portrayal of the Ahmedabad riots doesn't lacerate you like Rahul Dholakia's Parzania or Nandita Das' Firaaq. This version is far more comforting and palatable. But perhaps that is not such a bad thing.

Kai Po Che is Gujarati for 'I have Cut'. It is used as a cry of victory in kite-flying contests. Here victory is hard-earned and tinged with tears and regret. But it's also deeply satisfying. I'm going with four stars.

DB_reloaded thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 8 Thumbnail + 5

Kai Po Che On Victory March

by Rohini Nag (February 22, 2013)

Today we saw the much-anticipated release of Kai Po Che which stars Sushant Singh Rajput, Raj Kumar Yadav and Amit Sadh. The film garnered marvellous word of mouth publicity and improved with each passing shows. On the other hand we have Zila Ghaziabad which has names like Sanjay Dutt, Arshad Warsi and Vivek Oberoi. The film that released at approximately 1500 theatres domestically outrunning Kai Po Che with the theatre count will be at the losing end of the bet as its Kai Po Che that is winning hearts all over with its overwhelming word of mouth publicity. The distributors believe that it'sKai Po Che that will sweep impressive numbers during the weekend will do wonders once the theatre count increases.

In Mumbai, Rajesh Thadani of Multimedia Combines says, "Kai Po Che has released at limited screens in India which will affect its first day collections. The film is expected to collect Rs. 4 to 5. crore pan India NBOC and in Mumbai the film will garner Rs. 1.5 to Rs.2 crore. Whereas, Zila Ghaziabad will collect Rs. 3 crore across India and in Mumbai it will garner Rs. 60 Lakh."

In Gujarat, Ajay Bagdai of Rajvi Trade Link points out, "Kai Po Che will collect Rs. 4 crore plus all India and in Gujarat- Saurashtra the film will wrap it's day one at Rs. 60 lakh. The film has had a limited release but it is expected that the theatre count for the film will increase soon. Zila Ghaziabad has had a very strong response up north but still it won't do more than Rs. 5 crore all India, despite it's nearly double theatre count. Nevertheless it's Kai Po Che that will triumph over the collections not only today but during the weekend as well."

Brijesh Tandon of HK Tandon and Company from Delhi adds that, "Zila Ghaziabad is doing extremely well in our circuit. No guesses why as the film is based on north Indian and the film has massy story. The film will manage to collect Rs. 1.3 crore on it's opening day. Even though Kai Po Che has less screen space and the film is getting marvellous word of mouth publicity. The film has a certain charm to it, which will help the film during the weekend. First day collections of Kai Po Che will be Rs. 55 lakh."

In East Punjab, Surendra Saluja of Lakshya Movies said that, "Zila Ghaziabad will collect Rs. 40 lakh andKai Po Che will garner Rs. 30 lakh today in East Punjab. Both the film are as different as chalk and cheese, but it's Kai Po Che that is enjoying the positive response from the audience. The film which has no big stars proves once again that content is the king."

According to Gaurav Gaur of O'Real Imagination from Rajasthan, both the films will garner equal collections. "Both the releases will wrap their first days at Rs. 20 to Rs.25 lakh. Zila Ghaziabad has more theatre count in it's kitty and as for Kai Po Che, it has everything working in it's favour. Kai Po Che will definitely take the lead during the weekend. The film is sincere and high on content which works at the box office these days."

In Orissa, Jeetu Khandelwal of Movie Pioneers said that, "Kai Po Che will collect Rs. 2 lakh today and Zila Ghaziabad will collect Rs. 5 lakh. Zila Ghaziabad is having very bad reports whereas it's Kai Po Che which is wooing the audience here. Kai Po Che will have more screen space during the weekend and the film will rule the ticket windows there on."

Tanyaz thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 5
Very good . UTV is increasing the screen count for KPC.  πŸ‘πŸΌ
perfectlystill thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail
Everyone needs to watch this movie! It is such a sublime film, I can't think of one thing I didn't like about it. The story is simple but its treatment is beautiful. Despite its laid-back pace, there wasn't one dull moment.
But, what really makes the movie is its characters. The three central characters are so well-etched out, so refreshingly real that it would be hard not to feel an emotional connect with them and their situations by the end of the movie. All the characters have a proper graph, strengths, and flaws and the script gives each one of them moments to explore them. Govind, Ish, and Omi are real. Despite male-bonding being such a overused trope, their dynamic still feels fresh somehow. Nothing feels showy, filmy. Their physicality and interactions are so incredibly lived-in and I haven't seen a lot of Hindi movies that pay attention to that detail: the effortlessness of a bond that has existed for ages, not only in their conversations but in their bodily movements around each other. Omi kind of idolized Ish, Govind had a calming effect on both Omi and Ish, they felt stable with him around. But none of these details were ever said out loud, they were intricately weaved into the actors' body language and expressed through them.
That brings me to the actors. All three were brilliant. They made this movie. I can totally imagine the whole story falling flat on its face with less charismatic actors. Rajkumar was perhaps the best performer because it is always hard to add depth to the quiet ones. Amit Sadh's Omi was equally complex but he was so extremely introverted about his emotions that it gave the actor less avenues to perform. He was ridiculously good in the few moments of outbursts that he was allowed though. Sushant easily had the best role because characters like his are the crowd-pleasers. It is hard to resist that level of extroverted charisma for most of the people. But despite the fact that I've always gone against the stream and rooted for the quiet ones, I found myself loving him the most coming out of the cinemas. A star is born, for sure!
This one is a must-watch. I guess the best thing I can say about this movie is that it has been hours since I watched and it still hasn't left me. It will make you feel and that's more than one can say about most of the movies Bollywood is offering lately. So get your asses in the cinemas right now, each one of you! This movie needs to work.πŸ˜†
P.S. For all the haters of CBhag like me, don't let that deter you. πŸ˜ƒAbhishek Kapoor very cleverly and brilliantly adapted the novel's right parts and added his own intricacies that elevated the movie beyond the possibilities of its source material.
lunza thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 4

'Kai Po Che': Marvellously-made coming-of-age account (IANS Hindi Film Review)

WSN Staff Posted February 22, 2013
Platform for report news, views and opinions powered by citizen journalism and social media. You share. We air.
  • digg

Film: Kai Po Che; Starring: Sushant Singh Rajput, Raj Kumar Yadav, Amit Sadh, Amrita Puri; Directed by by Abhishek Kapoor; Rating: ****

It really can't get any better than this, can it? The year has just begun and we have one of the finest, most vibrant and fulfilling coming-of-age films in living memory.

"Kai Po Che" (the war-call uttered during kite-flying in Gujarat) is not about kite-flying. In fact there is just one fleeting sequence, very effectively positioned in the meticulously structured narrative, where the characters actually fly kites.

"Kai Po Che" is about spirits soaring skywards, as the characters – each one so vividly etched into the compact narrative that you come away with people whom you will probably carry with you for keeps – let their spirits roam wild and free, soaking in the sunlight of desire, longing, aspiring, stumbling and getting back on the feet.

Set in Gujarat during times of peace and unimaginable stress, "Kai Po Che" takes Chetan Bhagat's engaging novel about friendship among three dissimilar young people struggling to find their voices in Gujarat in and around the year 2000, and converts the written word into an enrapturing entity far beyond just a story well told.

The three, joined by a fourth – a girl who happens to be the sister of one of the heroes secretly involved with the hero's best friend – bring to life a world where the accidents of existence collide gently but powerfully with man-made and natural calamities that shake the very existence of an Indian middle class, living on an edge where toppling over the abyss is a real possibility.

Sure enough, by the end of the film one of heroes Omi (Amit Sadh) does fall into the abyss of bigotry. Though he is finally given a chance to redeem himself, it's too late. A dream has already died, though another one is reborn.

"Kai Po Che" is about the shared aspirations of three friends: the reckless and devil-may-care cricketer Ishaan (Sushant Singh Rajput in a remarkable film debut), his cautious, shy friend Govind (Raj Kumar Yadav) and their somewhat confused friend Omi, the son of a liberal temple priest who tilts towards Hindu radicalism more out of an economic necessity than a ideological imperative.

Into these lives, screenplay writers Abhishek Kapoor, Chetan Bhagat, Pubali Chaudhuri and Supratik Sen introduce a socio-political perspective that is rare in mainstream Hindi cinema.

There are many reasons why "Kai Po Che" is one of the most compelling products of the post-renaissance era in Indian cinema. To my mind its greatest achievement is its fusion of "cinema" and "history", a synthesis that filmmakers today would consider unpalatable for viewers. Hence they serve up the junk-food equivalent of cinema. Quickly ingested and easily forgotten.

Not this time!

In "Kai Po Che", the characters and situations created to bring out the personality conflicts emerge from the two crises points in Gujarat's history – the 2001 earthquake and the post-Godhra carnage in 2002.

The sustained palpable tension of the riots towards the concluding lap of this riveting tale is the stuff that great cinema is made of.

The virtues of the film are many: songs (Amit Trivedi) and background music (Hitesh Sonik) that seem to echo the protagonists' inner world without making a song and dance, cinematography by Anay Goswami and editing by Deepa Bhatia that says it all without a single shot being redundant, and most of all, a terrific gallery of actors who make the brotherly bonding look so real you feel other celebrated films about male bonding (including Abhishek Kapoor's "Rock On") were mere teasers.

And yet to describe "Kai Po Che" as a film on male bonding would be akin to treating "Dr Zhivago" as a film on the medical profession.

Taking the core idea from Bhagat's novel, Kapoor weaves together a tapestry of thoughts, characters and lives that embrace an entire ethos and culture without sacrificing individuality.

Fearless and almost flawless, "Kai Po Che" bubbles over with the warmth of lived-in experiences and with central performances that are so unstudied you suspect the actors were born to play these parts.

Among the trio, Amit Sadh as the fence-sitter turned Hindu radical gets into the skin of his character and remains there till the end, and not for the first time. He was also admirable as a narrator-journalist in Kabeer Kaushik's "Maximum". Here's an actor who deserves a lot more.

Raj Kumar Yadav as the voice of reason among the trio of friends yet again displays his amazing ability to come to grips with the body language, speech and inner world of the people he plays. I've not seen any actor deliver his lines in recent memory so naturally without artificial punctuation. Raj Kumar's triumph is the triumph of refined acting in Hindi cinema.

And let's not talented the spontaneous Amrita Puri as Ishaan's sister. She is at the periphery of the pivotal axis and yet makes her presence felt with such an endearing lack of vanity.

As for Sushant Singh Rajput, the script favours his character. And he repays the compliment right back, with bonus. With his compelling screen presence and an ability to render restless energy in a restrained pattern, he immediately establishes himself as one of the most articulate actors of the post-Ranbir Kapoor generation.

His relationship with the cricketing prodigy Ali (Digvijay Deshmukh) is in many ways the core issue of the multifarious plot. You cheer for Ishaan's streetwise heroism in a way you haven't cheered in a long while.

Take a bow, Abhishek Kapoor. You have proven that "Rock On" was no flash in the pan. "Kai Po Che" takes the theme of friendship to another level.

Yeh dosti hum nahin todenge, indeed. Sometimes the best of friendships get swept away in politics and history. It takes a master storyteller to remind us that cinema is finally a mirror of forces which have a bearing on life.

"Kai Po Che" just tempts me to tell the escapist merchants of Bollywood to go fly a kite.

http://www.wespeaknews.com/showbiz/kai-po-che-marvellously-made-coming-of-age-account-ians-hindi-film-review-145738.html?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

deleteaccount thumbnail
The movie wont be disappointing, I'm sure it wont
The book was wonderful <3
lunza thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 4

Rajeev Masand's Review :

Playing for keeps

Kai Po Che

Rating: 4

February 22, 2013

Cast: Sushant Singh Rajput, Amit Sadh, Rajkumar Yadav, Amrita Puri, Manav Kaul

Director: Abhishek Kapoor

Its title derived from that cry of victory yelled out when an opponent has been defeated in a kite flying challenge, Kai Po Chetranslates literally as "Gotcha!" An apt expression, perhaps, to describe the home run director Abhishek Kapoor delivers through this moving film about a friendship challenged by real-life tragedies.

Rooting a simple story in a realistic middle-class world far removed from the glossy surfaces of Rock On!, Kapoor can't shake off his fascination for buddy pictures, but in Kai Po Che we're treated to a more honest, assured portrait of friendship that never feels as conventional as his National Award-winning previous film.

Based on a novel by Chetan Bhagat, the film, set in the year 2000, focuses on three childhood pals who pool in their skills and resources to set up a sports shop-cum-cricket academy in their Ahmedabad neighborhood. A brilliant sportsman in his school days, hot-headed slacker Ishaan (Sushant Singh Rajput) commits himself to coaching young hopefuls. Omi (Amit Sadh) taps his local politician uncle for a loan to set up the enterprise, while business-minded Govind (Rajkumar Yadav) takes on the responsibility of maintaining accounts. But just as things are looking up for our earnest protagonists, a series of unforeseeable events threatens to destroy their business and their years-old friendship.

Weighed down by a loan he can't repay, Omi is forced into taking on an active role in his uncle's fundamentalist Hindu party. Govind, meanwhile, becomes romantically involved with Ishaan's feisty sister (Amrita Puri), whom he's been tutoring in math. And Ishaan becomes obsessed with grooming a young Muslim kid with immense batting potential. The earthquake of January 2001 that ripped through the city and claimed thousands of lives not only quashes Govind's dreams of business expansion, but also drives a rift between Ishaan and Omi, who find themselves on the opposite sides of a communal divide.

Skillfully shifting gears from the light-hearted camaraderie of our heroes in the opening act, to the emotional abyss they're thrust into in the film's final half hour, Kapoor maintains an unhurried pace and an even tone. Despite the excessive cricket jargon likely to throw off non-sports enthusiasts, you're drawn into the trio's world, engaged by their simple joys, concerned for their dilemmas. How do you resist a smile as they plunge into the sea from the top of a fort? Or as each makes his way to the roof of a bus as they head out to celebrate their first earnings?

Kai Po Che is filled with such lovely moments, but the story doesn't linger on this bonhomie. The earthquake, a thrilling India-Australia test-series, followed by the devastating Godhra massacre and the riots of 2002 colors our protagonists' friendship. Brick by brick, the screenplay builds up the tempo, until the climax delivers its sucker punch. You'd have to have a heart of stone not to be moved by the film's piercing finale.

Much of the film's success lies in its spot-on casting, even of solid actors in supporting roles, like Manav Kaul playing Omi's manipulative Bittu mama. Meanwhile, all three leads sink their teeth into nicely etched roles. The abundantly gifted Rajkumar Yadav brings an awkward charm to Govind, turning this penny-pinching, tight-fisted fellow into a living, breathing everyman. Amit Sadh oozes vulnerability in every scene that Omi appears in, and convincingly conveys the character's inner conflict. But it's Sushant Singh Rajput, making his film debut as Ishaan, who it's hard to take your eyes off. The actor has an indescribable presence, and it's clear from his confidence and distinct likeability that a star is born.

At a crisp two hours, Kai Po Che is enriched by its sweeping score and by Kapoor's deft handling of the film's varied moods. For evidence of his considerable growth as a director one needn't look much further than the palpable dread he infuses into scenes of an angry Hindutva mob storming a Muslim ghetto, and the light-handed touch he brings to the portions of the three friends goofing around. Kapoor tackles sensitive issues like the Gujarat riots with equanimity and empathy, and Anay Goswamy's terrific camerawork complements the director's vision intuitively.

I'm going with four out of five for Kai Po Che. It's only February, but one of the year's best films has arrived.

(This review first aired on CNN-IBN)

http://www.rajeevmasand.com/reviews/our-films/playing-for-keeps/

Edited by lunza - 11 years ago
ishika_sushita thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail
I watched Kai Po Che today...first day first show...
I'm at a loss of words to describe the movie...*speechless*
Saying that it is brilliant,would definately be an understatement! You've got to watch the film for yourself to realise how beautiful it actually is...
Kai Po Che is flawless cinema...acting,direaction,cinematography,background score,everything is just perfect! Hats off to Abhishek Kapoor and team KPCπŸ‘
Adapting Chetan Bhagat's "3 mistakes" into a screenplay,that too such an engaging one,is commendable!
The entire cast was very impressive.Amit was brilliant as Omi.This has to be Rajkumar's best performance till date.
Coming to my favourite,Sushant,WOW...just WOW!!
The amount of effort that he has put in to groom himself and get into the skin of a cricketer clearly shows...he has portrayed Ishaan Bhatt to perfection.There couldn't have been a better Ishaan for me.The character seems tailor-made for Sushant.
My mom couldn't believe that this is the same manav(pavitra rishta) whom she watched everyday at 9pm for 2.5 years!
I have watched Sushant as preet,manav and ishaan...all i can say is that he is such a terrific actor that you feel that the role essayed by him was tailor-made for him...Nobody will say that this is sushant's debut movie...he oozes confidence and has a very strong screen presence.
Sushant's expressions in each and every scene is just too good.He makes you feel for his character,so powerful is his acting...
Hats off sushant...so proud to be your fan
Hoping that he wins many accolades for his performance.One look at his performance in KPC,and you know why he has bagged such meaty roles under top production houses...
KPC is just poetry in motion...The plot is very engaging and the audience is hooked on to the screen till the end credits roll.A true masterpiece!
To all those who haven't watched the film yet,or are in two minds to watch it,just buy a ticket and GO!!...If you don't that'll be one of the biggest mistakes of your life!😊 Edited by CrazyIshiii - 11 years ago