Aisa Des Hai Mera

ADHM Articles Archive

Maha21 thumbnail
Posted: 17 years ago
ADHM Articles-

All the articles for ADHM will be posted here and a link will be provided for comments... 😊

Edited by Maha21 - 17 years ago

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Maha21 thumbnail
Aisa Des Hai Mera - the new show on Sony Ent TV
By: Goher Iqbal Punn
Monday, April 24, 2006

The mega musical show - Indian Idol Series 2 has come to an end. Sony Entertainment now does not want to leave the space blank and to eliminate viewers' passion, which they generated from Indian Idol Series 2. Thus the channel is now ready with another big show 'Aisa Des Hai Mera' starting from 24th April, 2006 with the same time schedule of Indian Idol program. This is emotional saga spanning on three generations.

Extensively shot in London and Punjab (India), the series is one of the few television shows where the story unzips in a foreign land and travels to the earthen locales of Punjab villages providing the viewers the true and unique visual treat. The soap has been conceived and directed by veteran filmmaker Lekh Tandon and has a technical crew that brings together some of the best talent of Indian cinema.

'Aisa Des Hai Mera' is contemporary but at the same time it fetches you to enjoy the nostalgic journey into the past cutting across all ages. The spirit of patriotism will be heard in every Indian's heart and also in India and overseas.

The story of the show is as follows:

Rusty is a young girl in her early twenties living alone in the big city -London. She meets Randheer who is an Indian and is accidentally in a situation whereby he is searching for his daughter. Randheer realizes that Rusty is actually his daughter. Rusty however hates her father for dumping her and running off. Rusty comes to know that Randheer in fact is her father and that he loved her deeply. She can no longer live with a vacuum and decides to search for her identity. Thus she reaches India.

From here on it is the quest of Rusty for her roots and the bond which develops with her Grandmother, an old woman 'Kushal' who is fighting hard to save the family from disintegrating and to withhold the traditions of her family and promises she made when she was handed over the reins of her family decades ago. It is the struggle of Rusty to get two warring families together in an atmosphere of hatred and to keep alive her passionate love for Ajeet.

Watch this new show which starts from 24th April, 2006 on Sony Ent TV.

Source: indiainfo.com
Maha21 thumbnail
Sony launches Aisa Des Hai Mera
Thursday - Apr 20, 2006
Televisionpoint.com Correspondent

As Margaret Thatcher rightly said "If you want something said, ask a man; if you want something done, ask a woman." Rusty, the protagonist of the latest show on Sony Entertainment Television – Aisa Des Hai Mera epitomizes just that. Set against the beautiful city of London, Aisa Des Hai Mera is a story about a young, carefree girl – Rusty, who one day finds out that she is of half Indian parentage. Therein starts Rusty's journey from London to Chandigarh in search of her roots… It is a journey of pain, angst, hopes and dreams… A beautiful blend of East meets West is what this delightful & emotional saga is all about.

Written and directed by the veteran film maker, Lekh Tandon (he has directed successful films like Professor, Jhuk Gaya Asmaan, Dulhan Wahi Jo Piya Man Bhaye, Agar Tum Na Hote among others). This story is very close to his heart. Lekhji is extremely happy that after years of nurturing this particular concept, a full-fledged television serial is being made and will finally reach out to millions of Indian audiences at large. The show will go on air every Monday –Thursday at prime time starting April 24, 2006, Monday-Thursday, at 9.00 p.m.

Commenting on the launch of the new show, N. P. Singh, COO, SET India, "With Indian Idol 2 coming to an end, we wanted to continue offering our viewers wholesome family entertainment. Aisa Des Hai Mera is saga of three generations set against the backdrop of the beautiful city of London & the green & rustic Chandigarh."

With a great star cast lead by talented actor Kanwaljeet Singh (he plays Rusty's father) newcomer Saumya Tandon, who plays the protagonist - Rusty, Bina (who plays the patriarch of the household), veteran film actor Ranjeet, who makes his television debut. Aisa Des Hai Mera is directed by Lekh Tondon and produced by Manish Goswami & Siddhant Vision and will premiere on Sony Entertainment Television from April 24th, Mon-Thus, 9.00 p.m.

What is Aisa Des Hai Mera ?
Rusty is the only daughter of John and Linda, an upper middle class British couple residing in England. Young, independent Rusty in all her growing up years, is inexplicably drawn towards strange flashes from the past that are not clear to her. These flashes, which seems very much a part of Indian culture that sets her thinking about India, the country she has never seen. In the course of the story Rusty comes to know that she is actually of Indian origin and John was actually her stepfather. Traumatized by the urge to find her true identity and her biological father who lives in Chandigarh, she decides to make a trip to India in search of her roots.

Rusty lands in Punjab to meet her large extended family, who is completely hostile to her. Though the family does not accept her, she is the guest whose honor is sacrosanct to them. She gets embroiled in their charades, in their intrigues and in their grief, yet her acceptance is still a far cry.

The uniqueness of this serial lies in the exploration of the way and life of pastoral and feudal Punjab, the two warring families, love, bonding, family ties…. The story presents a Punjab that is vibrant, celebratory, energetic full of passion and aggression. See Rusty from her staid, British way of life, transforms herself and is thrown into a dramatic melting pot of high strung emotions and loud gregarious emotionality.

Source: televisionpoint.com
Maha21 thumbnail
Aisa Des Hai Mera celebration bash
By: Goher Iqbal Punn
Thursday, May 04, 2006

Producer Manish Goswami of Siddharth Cinevision threw a lavish bash at Firangi-da-Daaba, Andheri in Mumbai to celebrate the premiere of his new show 'Aisa Des Hai Mera' that just started on Sony Entertainment channel. The evening unzipped with the viewing of the first show.

It is a story of a British girl is searching for her roots in India and fighting for acceptance. The bash was laced with full thrills and enjoyment. The people who attended the party including the cast and the director were: Soumya Tandon, Pawan Shankar, Bharat Kapoor, Manav Vij and director Lekh Tandon.

Manish Goswami with his wife attended the bash. Yukti and son Siddhant were also there. Kanwaljeet however was shooting in Dubai and missed the party. The Sony brigade included COO Mr. N.P Singh and Anupama Manoli Vice President on air programming. The bash went on till mid-night while liquor kept flowing along with some scrumptious food and delicious starters. True to its name there was a desi dhol played for the party animals to dance. That was a true Desi Style...!

Source: indiainfo.com

Maha21 thumbnail
TALKING POINT with Pawan Shankar
Nitin Joshi

Pawan Shankar believes in doing one show at a time, like quite a few other contemporaries. Till recently, you saw him playing the lawyer in Star One's Siddhanth; currently you see him in Monish Goswami's Sony soap Aisa Des Hai Mera. ''I like to be focussed. I believe in quality - quantity doesn't matter, I like perfection. I actually take the episodes of my show home because most of the time, I miss out on seeing the serial on TV as I am shooting. It helps me to learn if I watch my performances. So I am comfortable and happy doing one show at a time,'' explains Pawan.

He says he receives considerable appreciation for his performance as the London - return Ajit in Aisa Des Hai Mera which is directed by one of our seniormost directors, Lekh Tandon. ''Nice character. Ajit is a cool guy. Intelligent, educated, has been around the world but loves India. He knows how much to talk and when to talk. He is hard from the outside, emotional from within. He is back in India to get the two warring familes back together,'' explains the actor.

As for Siddhanth, he feels he was really lucky to get a break on a show like that where he could prove himself and learn the art of acting at the same time. ''I think it was the best chance a beginner could get. A central role on a male - dominated show. It was great for me. It helped me learn a lot about acting,'' says Pawan who, as of now is quite happy with the response Aisa Des Hai Mera is generating for him. ''People like it. I get a lot of mail, calls, complimenting me. It's very encouraging,'' he concludes.

For Comments visit: https://www.indiaforums.com/forum/topic/317702
Maha21 thumbnail
Pawan online: Courtesy, fans
   By: Shaheen Parkar
   June 23, 2006

Pawan Shankar with Anupama Cowlagi and Sarita Singh
It began as a fun experience during the vacation. Two city collegians, Anupama Cowlagi and Sarita Singh, had visited Pawan Shankar on the sets of his Star One legal drama, Siddhant during the Diwali holidays last year. After spending an entire day, they managed to take plenty of pictures and video clips.

Anupama is a final year home science student, at SNDT, Juhu, while Sarita is doing her MSc at the MVLU College, Andheri (E). "We both studied at the same school, Divine Child, and have been friends ever since," say the duo.

Creative timepass

"One of my professors in college told me to do something creative in the holidays. As I was a regular viewer of Siddhant, I got in touch with the producers, BAG Films. The show's executive producer, Roseanne Lobo, provided us great support for our project," says Anupama.

"As a time-pass experience, I created a website for fans of Pawan Shankar," says Anupama. "I began work on it and then it was back to college. Then I realised it had been deleted."

Character polls on

Now, however, Anupama has recreated the site with data about him, his photographs and links to all that is written about him.

"We are looking at making it an interactive site where telly viewers can share their thoughts as well as know what is happening on Pawan's acting front. Right now, he is seen in Aisa Des Hai Mera (Sony), so we are having a poll on his character, Ajit Singh Gill. The reruns of Siddhant are also on air."

Pawan stumbled upon the site by accident. "I was surfing the net and I saw this link. I was taken by surprise. Anupama used to come to
the Siddhant sets often, so I asked her and she told me she had created it," says the actor.

Good start

When the duo told Pawan about the endeavours he was surprised to see it (https://tv.groups.yahoo.com/group/fansofpawanshankar). "He checked it out and told us that we had made a good beginning."

Adds Pawan, "As they have just started the site, I am giving them some time to make it even more better. Then I will start answering questions sent by viewers."

For Comments visit: https://www.indiaforums.com/forum/topic/315242

Maha21 thumbnail
INTERVIEW | Kanwaljeet

Mr Dependable

One of the best actors around, somehow he hasn't got his just desserts. Yet Kanwaljeet, known for his roles in memorable serials like Buniyaad Daraar and Saans has no complaints. The handsome actor who's graduated to character roles is happy juggling between films, serials and his favourite sport, tennis. A tete-a-tete...
After a long time you are doing a serial which revolves around you. How do you feel?
Good. Aisa Des Hai Mera revolves around me and Rusty(Souwmya Tandon), but let's see how it progresses. It's important that the story remains on track which I am sure with so many intelligent people working on it, it will. I am also doing a serial on Doordarshan but not many know about it because people hardly watch the channel. I am trying to divide my work between satellite channels and DD.

What is your equation with your onscreen daughter Rusty?
Since I am a father of two grown up sons, aged 15 and 12 in real life, it is easy for me to relate to the dilemma of Ranbir Singh when it comes to his daughter Rusty. I felt very emotional when Rusty was away in London. I think that itself will tell you the equation I have with Rusty.

This is your fourth serial with Lekh Tandon. What is your experience of working with him?
For this serial, Lekhji is not involved in the day-to-day shoots. He has written the screenplay and is the overall in-charge. But yes, I consider myself lucky to have worked with reputed directors like Lekhji, Ramesh Sippy (Buniyaad), and Vijay Anand (Hum Rahe Na Hum) in my career. With Lekhji I have done Farmaan, Kahan Se Kahan Tak and Daraar. He is a great one at improvisation. Even after he's written a scene, if he finds it unsuitable on the sets, he changes it and makes it extraordinary. Vijay Anand had a great sense of screenplay and wrote beautiful lines, while Ramesh Sippy gives a lot of attention to nuances.

Of the serials that you have done so far, which is your favourite?
I loved doing Farmaan in which I played a radical Nawab who wanted to convert his haveli into a hotel. He had this girl working for him and though he is attracted to her, he behaves rudely with her, to the point of being arrogant. It was a typical Mills & Boon story. (laughs)

What about Daraar? It had you playing a father at a young age...
(Cuts in). Not only a father, but a grandfather too. A fantastic character, it was inspired by the life and times of MS Oberoi. It was a great journey from the Partition to contemporary times. But I remember that it was also one of the worst periods for me. I hated playing the old man afflicted with paralysis. It was very depressing, I used to hate going to the studio. I was impatient for that phase to get over.

But you won awards for that role.
Yes. In fact, serials like Buniyaad, Farman, Daraar and Andaaz which was the first multi-starrer with Shekhar Suman, Sudesh Berry in it made stars out of us. They helped us achieve a mark on the small screen.

You are also remembered for your role in Neena Gupta's Saans which explored extra-marital relationships.
That was one of the finest serials on the subject. None of the characters in that serial was fully black or white. Everyone had shades of grey. It was difficult playing that role because my character could have easily become negative. Though my character was attracted to another woman, he was in love with his family and hated when anyone said anything derogatory about them. I remember fighting with Neena over the dialogues. There was a scene where the daughter tells her father that she hates him. I refused to accept those lines. I told Neena that no daughter can speak to a father like that, specially when she knows he loves them...

Though you have done quite a few serials after Saans, you have not been in the centre of things.
That is because there came a point when people started making the same kind of serials. With Saans came a horde of serials with the extramarital angle, then came the saas-bahu soaps. Nobody wants to try anything different. They fail to realise that however good they make the copy, it will be second to the original. In my way I tried to be different by doing a negative role in Abhimaan. I played a man with a mean streak who has no qualms in killing his wife. That got me another baddie role in Jassi Jaissi Koi Nahin as the underworld don. I also did Tumhari Disha in which I played Disha's father. Many a times when you take on a project, it may not turn out to be like you expected it to and you cannot do justice to the character.

What about your role in Purab Aur Paschim, the serial you are doing on DD?
I play a NRI father whose son comes to India for a visit. He, however ends up staying in the village with his dadaji and gets involved in social work. My character is averse to this, which leads to the father-son conflict.

Any more serials on the anvil?
Yes, I am doing another serial on DD for which I will be shooting the pilot episode next month in Delhi. I play the role of a faded superstar whose skeletons slowly tumble out of the closet.

You were recently seen in 15 Park Avenue. Any more films in the pipeline?
I am glad I was a part of 15 Park Avenue. It was a great experience working with good actors like Shabana Azmi and Konkana Sensharma. The director Aparna has a great sense of script. The film was shot in Bhutan and though my role was small it was well-defined. I have also done three Punjabi films, one of them being partly shot in Canada and partly in India by Manmohan Singh. Soon, you will see me in Red Ice productions' Hindi film Bombay To Paris. The hero and heroine are newcomers and I play the hero's father. The father and son share a sweet relationship. There are little exchanges between them which are heart-warming. For instance: There's this scene when the father meets the hero's classmate and asks him how his son is doing in class. The friend tells him he bunks classes and watches films, the latest being Batman. When the father confronts the son and asks him how was his day, he says it was boring. 'I never knew Batman with lip-to-lip kisses in it was boring,' says the father mischeivously. It has turned out nicely.

Are you happy with your roles in serials and films?
(Evades) I am the happiest when I am on the tennis court. Currently, I am into football because my sons are watching it. (Grins)

For Comments visit: https://www.indiaforums.com/forum/topic/321931

Maha21 thumbnail
A career switch that paid off well

Star of the week: By A.L. Chougule

The latest addition to the cast of Aaisa Des Hai Mera is model-turned-actor Pawan Shankar. He plays Ajit Singh Gill who'll become protagonist Ruchi's — Rusty of London becomes Ruchi in India — pillar of strength and heartthrob. While Rusty comes from England in search of her father's family in Chandigarh, Ajit comes from Canada. No, not in search of his roots like Ruchi but to broker peace between three old friends who are foes now.

Ruchi helps him in his mission and gradually they come closer and fall in love. "It's very different from my role in Siddhant," says Pawan. "Ajit is a cool, chilled out guy. He's fun loving and is always in control of himself in any situation. He gets along well with Ruchi though they have their share of fun fights. Gradually they fall in love." The character is inspired by Shah Rukh Khan's role in Dilwale Dulhanya Le Jayenge where Khan and Kajol argue throughout their whirlwind tour of Europe but ultimately fall in love.

In sharp contrast Pawan's role in Siddhant was that of a lawyer. "It was negative but a powerful role for which I won the Indian Telly award for best actor," smiles the young, good-looking actor who was far away from the world of showbiz three years ago.

An MBA in finance, he was working for Essar Cellphone. But his friend Monisha Oberoi, a newsreader at Zee News, his colleague at Essar, encouraged him to try out a new career option. Together they made two documentaries for the HRD and Sports ministries. He came to Mumbai and Manisha along with other friends encouraged him to switch careers.

"I was happy with my job but still I took the plunge because I am not the sort of person to stick to one job for years," reasons the actor, adding that modeling and acting offers came his way simultaneously. So while he did commercials like Reid & Taylor, TVS Spectra and Wipro Lighting he also started shooting for Siddhant.

"I took a risk by switching over from a secure job but it has paid off well," gushes Pawan who takes keen interest in Hindi literature, especially poetry. "Since I come from Allahabad, reading Hindi literature is in my family. I don't write but I read a lot and my Hindi is pretty decent." It is widely believed that if you are a TV actor Balaji is the right place to be in. And Pawan doesn't disagree.

In fact, Ekta had offered him the role of Sujal in Kahiin To Hoga but he couldn't accept the offer because of date problems. "I have had several offers from Balaji but somehow things didn't work out," he adds. But now things have worked out well and Pawan is all set to do a serial for Ekta. "It will be announced very soon," he says but refuses to reveal the details.

For Comments visit: https://www.indiaforums.com/forum/topic/322461

Maha21 thumbnail
TELE EXPRESS

PROFILE: Soumya Tandon
Nitin Joshi

Sweet, simple, good-looking, confident and talented. That describes Soumya Tandon, the lead girl in Aisa Des Hai Mera which is produced by Manish Goswami for Sony Entertainment .

A first runner-up Femina Cover girl who started her modelling career for L.G, Hyundai, Chevrolet, Soumya is very excited as her performance in Aisa Des Hai Mera - her debut role on television - is being appreciated. ''It's actually very encouraging. People are responding very well. They love my Indian make-over now. I am very glad people enjoy my performance. It's nice to be recognised for your work.

Soumya plays the lead Rusty, Kanwaljeet's daughter. Rusty is half British since her father had married an Englishwoman who did not find acceptance by his family. Rusty is born and brought up in London. When she grows up, she goes to India to discover her roots.

''Rusty is nice, innocent, sensitive, impulsive. As a character, she gives a lot of scope for performance and I'm trying to give her my best. I worked hard, initially, to pick up the British accent. Didn't have much time but I did meet a few people there to see how they spoke. Tuned into BBC to get a hang of it. I think it's gone off well. Now I am back in India so I am trying to get rid of the accent - in the show, that is,'' she smiles. Was she nervous on her first day on the job with many veterans around her? ''Honestly? I wasn't nervous. I was a little apprehensive but I was confident. And all the actors were sweet and helpful - after a while I was comfortable,'' says Soumya.

Soumya belongs to Delhi and misses the capital a lot. ''Delhi means friends, good roads, highways, metro, trees... Oh God. Here it's just work, traffic, sweat...'' she complains, but she is happy her mother is down here in Mumbai with her. ''That's one thing which is really good. She lives with me here. She is happy to see me on television doing such an important role. And yes, she has some critical comments - at times,'' she reveals.

For Comments Visit: https://www.indiaforums.com/forum/topic/331852

Maha21 thumbnail
Manoj re-enters Aisa Des...

Manoj Bidwai will soon make his re-entry in Sony's Aisa Desh Hai Mera after being oblivious from the show for nearly two months. Earlier in the show, Manoj Bidwai (Andy) was shown as attempting to kill Kanwaljeet (Ranbir Singh), while Kanwaljeet escapes bid to his life. However, now Andy is back to complete his unfinished business….to wipe out the entire Ranbir Singh clan. And not just that, this time around Andy will sport a totally different look to woo his female fans.

"I am pretty excited about being back on the show. And this time around my character is going to added a new twist in the tale," explains Manoj.

For those uninitiated, the plot revolves around a family feud. The grandfathers of both Baldev Singh's (Bharat Kapoor) and Ranbir Singh (Kanwaljeet) were family friends, but due to a certain family feud they end up becoming worst enemies. However the enmity continues to be nurtured by Baldev Singh, Andy (Baldev Singh's son) plays a crook who indulges in car thefts to maintain his lavish lifestyle. Later, In London, he befriends the leader of an international gang, Sunny with whom he charts out the plan to kill Ranbir Singh.

Nevetheless, Andy fails in his attemtpt to kill Ranbir. "From thereon the story's focus was shifted to Rusty (played by Soumya Tandon) going back to India in the search of her roots." explains Manoj.

"Now that everything is hunky dory in the life of Rusty who is soon getting married to Pawan Kumar (Ajit Singh Gill) my entry most probably will be on the eve of their wedding. However, I have not yet started shooting, so I do not know as to how or what kind of entry I am going to make. But, I am sure that viewers are going to witness even a more darker and evil side to Andy in a months "says Manoj.

Manoj Bidwai was also seen in Zee Cafe's Bombay Talking and on StarOne's Remix.

For Comments visit: https://www.indiaforums.com/forum/topic/333337