Debate Mansion

India: Should prostitution be legalized in India?

CoffeeCake thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 5
Posted: 11 years ago

Every day new case of rape and harassment.  Sexual torture on women and many more. do you think that making "sex" easily available to Indians would help take control over the situation?

This is not my idea. It is article on quora.com. Just have a look.

http://www.quora.com/India/Should-prostitution-be-legalized-in-India

But i guess there is no connection between legal sex and rapes. Its a craze on man. Even if u provide them legal right still they would like to go for rape as for me they r beyond my understanding level and somewhere they r mentally unbalanced or psycho.

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

return_to_hades thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 6
Not going down that path again. Not going down that path again. Not going down that path again. 
-Believe- thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 2
Originally posted by: ..aastha..

Every day new case of rape and harassment.  Sexual torture on women and many more. do you think that making "sex" easily available to Indians would help take control over the situation?

This is not my idea. It is article on quora.com. Just have a look.

http://www.quora.com/India/Should-prostitution-be-legalized-in-India

But i guess there is no connection between legal sex and rapes. Its a craze on man. Even if u provide them legal right still they would like to go for rape as for me they r beyond my understanding level and somewhere they r mentally unbalanced or psycho.

Those who can buy love ,that's called prostitution...my personal view is if someone selling their body for money is wrong ...but these people helping millions of needy n greedy peoples...so if govt. plan to legalize these things,it will helpfull for the sx workers .

mr.ass thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail
well I plan on becoming a trillionaire and I don't want any relationships, just the sex, so yeah, I'd want it to be legalized in India, ;)
--arti-- thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail + 2
My position is that it should be decriminalized (not legalized) so that  sex workers can be protected and can seek legal support. But I think we should be clear on certain things before the debate gets ahead:

"prostitution" or sex work = purchasing sex/physical love for money. or selling sex/physical love for money.

rape = a violent form of asserting "power" over women (especially men who hold a certain kind of "power" over the woman - husband, army, police, etc.). Most rapes are not because the attacker is a psychopath. Most rapes happen in incredibly mundane and domestic situations, from husbands, boyfriends, family members.

Miconception: rape is about sex
Rape is about one thing - power. Women and girls of all ages get raped, and it is not about whether they are sexually attractive or not, or what they are wearing, etc. It is a form of violence, and because of its social stigma, it is talked about in terms of "honour," "losing honour," etc. Instead of "honour," which has patriarchal connotations anyway, I think we should talk about in terms of safety and consent, and changing social attitudes to make sure men learn to respect women and their choices (including their sexual choices) from a young age. And women should also learn from a young age to respect ourselves and our choices.

Misconception: sex workers don't get raped.

Technically, it should be consensual. In many cases where sex workers have a support system, or are organized within an area, it is consensual, becayse they have systems of accountability to take care of a violent customer or a non-paying customer. But reality is that sex workers are extremely vulnerable to rape themselves, again really depends on where they work and whether or not they have a support system. They can't go to the police, because the police are usually incredibly abusive to them. See thing about "power" before. The fact is that they are so much in the margins completely stigmatized, with little forms of support.

Prostitution (or sex-work) is not about "preventing rape." It is just an economy of sex, like there are plenty of other economies in the world. Sexism and misogyny applies within that sphere, and so does power.

You have two different problems (at least the way I see it):
1. How can we get rid of sexist attitudes and frameworks, to prevent violence against women (including sexual violence), and how can we address "rape culture" in the world, including India.

2. How can we find ways to increase safety (of vulnerable women, such as sex workers) in industries/sectors that are in the margins or the underbelly of society. My answer would be that Decriminalization would be a start, but we need a whole lot more, and the solution to number 1 above will have to be a part of it.

Questions that are not important to me (because I think they misdirect from the issue):
- Is "prostitution" moral? Irrelevant. It happens, and always will.
- Are those women sinners or do they hate themselves, and how can we save them? Extremely moralistic, self-aggrandizing. As if sex workers can't think for themselves and don't make choices (despite how little choice they may have) based on what is available to them.
Edited by --arti-- - 11 years ago
BirdieNumNum thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail Visit Streak 30 0 Thumbnail

i feel guys who need to pay for sex are idiots, especially when it's so easy to find girls that are 'flexible'.😆 that said,  i am for having prostitution legalized. Not just that, i think it should be declared an industry and be awarded a SIC code in recognition of its service to consumers and producers alike. We also need new industries to tax in order to cut ballooning deficits, don't we?😆
Edited by BirdieNumNum - 11 years ago
mr.ass thumbnail
Originally posted by: BirdieNumNum

i feel guys who need to pay for sex are idiots, especially when it's so easy to find girls that are 'flexible'.😆 that said,  i am for having prostitution legalized. Not just that, i think it should be declared an industry and be awarded a SIC code in recognition of its service to consumers and producers alike. We also need new industries to tax in order to cut ballooning deficits, don't we?😆

as far as I've heard,in my city  they're quite chastity beltish, and the only ones who want to swing around are the uglies 😆
Edited by mr.ass - 11 years ago
SniCkerDoOdLe thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail
rapists are different in some way.. they have a different thought process!!
a rapist will commit his crime even if a prostitute willingly surrenders to him..

IMPO, legalizing prostitution might give other benefits but it won't help decrease the percentage of rape cases in any country.
BirdieNumNum thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail Visit Streak 30 0 Thumbnail
Originally posted by: mr.ass

as far as I've heard,in my city  they're quite chastity beltish, and the only ones who want to swing around are the uglies 😆

alright that does sound bad. One cant be fornicating with animals... unless it's by consent of the King.😆
mr.ass thumbnail
Originally posted by: BirdieNumNum

alright that does sound bad. One cant be fornicating with animals... unless it's by consent of the King.😆

although some of the men adjust. In my college, there was a saying: "forget the face and f%%% the base" . 😆