Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

rima thumbnail
Posted: 11 years ago
I am glad about this
frankly even in fiction i cant stand rape of girl by a guy and then saying the guy lives her
rape is rape is rape
it is use of brute force
nothing condones it
and I am very very unhappy with all FFs that use rape in the name of 'Dark FF'

surprisingly thoe FFs are immesely popular
shows that in our heart of heart we approve of rape?
rape by a lover?
a husband?
Sultan_Of_Swing thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 7
Originally posted by: rima

I am glad about this

frankly even in fiction i cant stand rape of girl by a guy and then saying the guy lives her
rape is rape is rape
it is use of brute force
nothing condones it
and I am very very unhappy with all FFs that use rape in the name of 'Dark FF'

surprisingly thoe FFs are immesely popular
shows that in our heart of heart we approve of rape?
rape by a lover?
a husband?

Just not that Rima, in many FFs women are being portrayed as welcoming brutal sex that violates and pains them. Some of these women beg for it. Frankly to me that is unacceptable.
Edited by Naach_Basanti - 11 years ago
I agree with the rule against usage of external links. IF has a right to protect and grow its user base and not send them off to another website. However its also important for writers to protect their own work. PMing the links is a much better idea. If you put the link on IF, there is still a very high possibility of one's work being plagiarized.
rima thumbnail
Originally posted by: Naach_Basanti

Just not that Rima, in many FFs women are being portrayed as welcoming brutal sex that violates and pains them. Some of these women beg for it. Frankly to me that is unacceptable.

absolutely right
do people know what rape implies
it wounds the soul of a person
destroyes their self esteem
no one can put up with violent abusive love and it is vile to portray it
it sickens me
and yet I am zapped that many people, that too girls write it and like it
-publicenemy- thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Engager 3 Thumbnail + 6
Originally posted by: rima

absolutely right
do people know what rape implies
it wounds the soul of a person
destroyes their self esteem
no one can put up with violent abusive love and it is vile to portray it
it sickens me
and yet I am zapped that many people, that too girls write it and like it

This is a troubling phenomenon that has been evident in many FFs for a while now.  However, what I have also noticed that - and I admit that this is likely an over-generalization - the FFs that glorify rape, rapists, and have the woman victim be presented as someone who either enjoys it or who later finds love with the perpetrator are written in a generally immature manner or at the very least give the indication that it is written by a young person or someone who is just reaching for extremes in the FF without having any understanding of the issue itself.  The reader-base also tends to be of a similar ilk, giving the indication of young age or some level of lack of maturity in their responses.  I am all for creative freedom in writing and there is certainly a genre of rape-fantasy fiction out there that has its own reader-base (although generally they are geared towards adults with some clear understanding of the distinction between fantasy and reality and not young'uns attracted to the shock value of the subject and somehow confusing that level of control and possession as somehow reflecting desirability and genuine love).  

I have had debates on this issue with some of my friends here on IF and in arguing both sides of the equation between ourselves, what one of them said was that there is no way to protect children and adolescents from the real world and given that they have access to the web and all its questionable content, what is the purpose of trying to control content here on IF or FFs.  While there is some merit to her argument, I am often troubled by how much support there is here for 'dark FFs' with this content and how the majority typically tend to ignore the issue and the fact that some of these FFs receive 300 and 400 likes.  Popularity does not automatically mean that the issue should not be questioned or that there shouldn't be a good discussion about this trend so that the other side of the issue - the problems with glorifying rape in this manner - should not be discussed.  

Independent of the new rules on writing this content, I am genuinely curious about the appeal of this trend and would like to hear from both sides of the argument - those who are in support of it and those who are opposed to it.

-D
Sur_10 thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail + 2
Thank you D for directing me here
I would admit that I was appalled by the treatment of forced sex, sexual violence and the way the male leads dominate the females on both TV and in fiction, more so in fiction actually. And yes, the worst part being that the girls writing, reading and cheering for these stories are the ones who form this generation. Its almost as if a new sort of subtle backward digression of thought process has started right under the nose of feminism. Its just.. staggering.
I don't know what is worse- the ignorance, insensitivity, lack of common sense or the "I am right and you are outdated" attitude. I don't read on this forum any more barring a couple of writers and dont want explore this stuff any more. It just disgusts me.
khahani thumbnail
Anniversary 19 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail

[HIDDEN CONTENT]
The content of this post has been Hidden by User.
Originally posted by: -publicenemy-

This is a troubling phenomenon that has been evident in many FFs for a while now.  However, what I have also noticed that - and I admit that this is likely an over-generalization - the FFs that glorify rape, rapists, and have the woman victim be presented as someone who either enjoys it or who later finds love with the perpetrator are written in a generally immature manner or at the very least give the indication that it is written by a young person or someone who is just reaching for extremes in the FF without having any understanding of the issue itself.  The reader-base also tends to be of a similar ilk, giving the indication of young age or some level of lack of maturity in their responses.  I am all for creative freedom in writing and there is certainly a genre of rape-fantasy fiction out there that has its own reader-base (although generally they are geared towards adults with some clear understanding of the distinction between fantasy and reality and not young'uns attracted to the shock value of the subject and somehow confusing that level of control and possession as somehow reflecting desirability and genuine love).  

I have had debates on this issue with some of my friends here on IF and in arguing both sides of the equation between ourselves, what one of them said was that there is no way to protect children and adolescents from the real world and given that they have access to the web and all its questionable content, what is the purpose of trying to control content here on IF or FFs.  While there is some merit to her argument, I am often troubled by how much support there is here for 'dark FFs' with this content and how the majority typically tend to ignore the issue and the fact that some of these FFs receive 300 and 400 likes.  Popularity does not automatically mean that the issue should not be questioned or that there shouldn't be a good discussion about this trend so that the other side of the issue - the problems with glorifying rape in this manner - should not be discussed.  

Independent of the new rules on writing this content, I am genuinely curious about the appeal of this trend and would like to hear from both sides of the argument - those who are in support of it and those who are opposed to it.

-D

as always a very eloquently put. I guess we all have to draw a line somewhere and to me the line gets drawn at the point where-
1. A woman begs for the man to be brutal during sex
2. A woman enjoys being abused
3. something that glorifies taking away someone's virginity.

Personally I find this inappropriate in a public forum like IF, but that's is purely my personal opinion. Agreed there are far worse erotica out there, but that's exactly what it is - erotica. You know what you are signing upto when you read such a story. As an adult Im old enough to understand what subjects like BDSM is. Wheraes when you sign up to read an FF - based on a love story in a forum frequented by many kids, you've got to draw the line somewhere. I have issues when such things are thrown around in the story without understanding its full consequences.

glassdoor thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail + 4

Can you change the heading of this topic please? It seems to cover a lot more than just rape.

Well these rules ought to have been laid down a long time ago. Have you realized about such content just today? What do you plan on doing about countless such FFs that have already made its way into the pages of this forum? Why were these kind of rules not laid down in the first place.

Not to sound negative but I don't see a point in this really. The epidemic has already set in. 😃. Glorifying rape and brutality has become a hit formula now. May be a few writers won't use the four letter word but will have enough talent to imply it in a 'subtle' way without breaking any rules. Cannot really stop depravity.

-publicenemy- thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Engager 3 Thumbnail + 6
Originally posted by: glassdoor

Well these rules ought to have been laid down a long time ago. Have you realized about such content just today? What do you plan on doing about countless such FFs that have already made its way into the pages of this forum? Why were these kind of rules not laid down in the first place.

Not to sound negative but I don't see a point in this really. The epidemic has already set in. 😃. Glorifying rape and brutality has become a hit formula now. May be a few writers won't use the four letter word but will have enough talent to imply it in a 'subtle' way without breaking any rules. Cannot really stop depravity.

The rules have always been the same; it's on the bottom of every page of India Forums, stating:
"Note:

India Forums does not permit posting of any content or material which is or can be construed as being

• sexually explicit, po*nographic
  • offensive to any religion, race or community
  • abusive language or Derogatory Expressions.
  • violative of anothers Intellectual Property"

Thus, from the IF side, the ban on "sexually explicit, po*nographic" material covers both rape and sex in general.  As you can see, this is a difficult rule to enforce given the sheer number of stories out there.

The problem is also that there is very little in the way of a good discussion about this trend of "depravity" given the popularity of 'dark fictions.'

-D