Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Qwest thumbnail
Posted: 17 years ago
Chowdhury, Nirmalendu (1922-1981) folk singer, was born in the village of Beheli, in sunamganj, sylhet, on 27 July 1922. He picked up singing by listening to folk songs sung by boatmen. Encouraged by his parents, he later became a folk singer.

Nirmalendu Chowdhury took lessons in folk songs and folk music from Abdul Majid and Abdur Rahim in mymensingh. Later, he took lessons in tagore songs from Ashokbijay Raha at santiniketan. In 1955 Nirmalendu Chowdhury sang a folk song from Sylhet at the Banga Sangskrti Sammelan (Bengal Cultural Conference). Later that year, he won a gold medal singing at an international folk song convention in Warsaw. He subsequently took part in several cultural programmes in India and abroad, making Indian folk songs known internationally. He recorded more than a hundred songs. He was associated with films, as a playback singer and actor. He was also known as a composer. His collection of songs was published as Epar Bangla Opar Banglar Gan (Songs of both Bengals).

Nirmalendu Chowdhury set up Lokabharati, a school for folk music in calcutta. He was associated with pragati lekhak sangha (Progressive Writers' Association) and Bharatiya Gana Natya, a theatre group. He also worked for some time as a reader in the Music Department at Rabindra Bharati University. He was awarded Padmabhushan by the Indian government for his contribution to folk music. He died in Calcutta on 18 April 1981.
Edited by Qwest - 17 years ago
Qwest thumbnail

Utpalendu Chowdhury - The Man And His Music

In any setting,        &nbs p;         &nbs p;         &nbs p; traditional or otherwise, his Bengali folk songs         & nbsp;         & nbsp;          appear 
with a shattering
feeling of force,
of life, awareness,
Nature, self.
Utpalendu Chowdhury
IS  folk song.

FOLK SONGS OF BENGAL

Bengal is a-land of rivers and fertile paddy fields. Most of the folk songs here tell the tales of toil and hardship, of the joys and sorrows of the common people. It speaks about love and depicts the lives of the people living in an Agrarian society. The rituals of the womenfolk, the joys of reaping a rich harvest, the song of the fishermen as they sail in to the high seas, the grandeur of the boat race are all subjects of folk songs in Bengal as is anywhere else in the world

Utpalendu's wife, Uttara, is also a folk singer of repute and together with Utpalendu , she also  charmed the audience world over. At the same time she is equally well conversant in Rabindrasangeet with elegant presentation.

One of the most popular folk singers of the present genre, Utpalendu gathered his repertoire under the guidance of his father Late Nirmalendu Chowdhury, the legendary folk singer from Bengal and carries on his quest to know more intimately the splendors preserved by the teacher-to-disciple oral transmission. With a single-minded purpose he looks forward to popularizing the folk songs that he has inherited from his father and the rivers of Bengal

Edited by Qwest - 17 years ago
Anuradha thumbnail
Thank u so much Barnalidi for starting this topic.. I never knew anything about these songs.. Though i have heard, i never knew these songs are Bhaitali songs sung by the Boatman..

It was really informative and also thanks for the Link for downloading it.. Thank u very much 👏 👏 👏
advil thumbnail

Didi,

Thanks for the articles.It will really help me now that I have so much free time for the next few days, reading is definitely going to help.😊

I like the bhatiali songs. Most of the "maajhi" songs are bhatiali right?

I like the carefree form of the songs..As if the boatmen are actually talking to the seas.

soulsoup thumbnail
Forgot to upload this one : Bhatiali by Pt. Hariprasad Chaurasia!! 😊

Bhaskar.T thumbnail

Originally posted by: soulsoup

🤗🤗🤗

Thanks Anol !!!

Anuradha thumbnail

You have made my day dada 🤗🤗🤗

thank u so much 😛

advil thumbnail

Thank you Anolda...🤗 U rock !!!

Anolda, I am unable to download the file...😭😭😭  Help !!!!

Edited by adi_0112 - 17 years ago
soulsoup thumbnail
Originally posted by: adi_0112

Thank you Anolda...🤗 U rock !!!

Wait - I am uploading it to savefile.com

soulsoup thumbnail
Originally posted by: adi_0112

Here you go : http://www.savefile.com/files/6394339