Book Recommendations by Genres - Page 3

Posted: 11 years ago
Title: Guarding the Princess
Author:loreth anne white
Genre: Romantic suspense
Brief Synopsis:"You're not just a job anymore."
It was supposed to be a 72-hour mission, in and out, until Brandt Stryker got stranded in the arid African plains with predators before him, a killer at his heels and an exotic princess by his side. Dalilah Al Arif stirs his blood, makes him crave things he'd lost long ago—but she is off-limits, promised to a sheik.

Dalilah's wedding contract stipulates she must wed before her 30th birthday—just months away. It's a duty she accepts. But in the arms of her handsome protector, she's torn between her sense of duty and honor, and her freedom. And as the terrorists close in, she fears the most dangerous creature in the savannah is Brandt himself….

okay loreth is one of my new discoveries in this genre ... u can read anything she writes...

Erm, actually, I just started a book discussion series which lists almost everything you've said. Not to sound redumbnant, but here is the link - https://www.indiaforums.com/forum/topic/3372187
Do check it out and comment. Thanks
"Title: Divergent
Author: Veronica Roth
Genre: Science-Fiction and Young Adult
Brief Synopsis: This book is set in future Chicago where the society is divided into 5 factions: Abnegation(The Selfless), Amity(The Peaceful), Candor(The Honest), Dauntless(The Brave) and Erudite(The Intelligent). The book's protagonist, Tris Prior like other 16 year olds must choose a faction on the day of the Choosing Ceremony. But she soon learns she is different from the others, that she is Divergent- a secret that could destroy her life.
Comments-
I really enjoyed this book and would recommend this for Hunger Games fans. "
Edited by LavenderCrystal - 11 years ago

Title: Paper Towns
Author: John Green
Genre: Young Adult/Contemporary
Brief Synopsis: "Quentin Jacobsen has spent a lifetime loving the magnificently adventurous Margo Roth Spiegelman from afar. So when she cracks open a window and climbs back into his life - dressed like a ninja and summoning him for an ingenious campaign of revenge - he follows.

After their all-nighter ends and a new day breaks, Q arrives at school to discover that Margo, always an enigma, has now become a mystery. But Q soon learns that there are clues - and they're for him. Urged down a disconnected path, the closer Q gets, the less Q sees the girl he thought he knew."

Comments: It's got everything--comedy, romance, road trip! Plus John Green is my favorite author!
Edited by Yamu21 - 11 years ago
Title: a thousand splendid suns.
Author:khaled hosseini
Genre: fiction (love)
Brief synopsis: mariam is only 15 when is sent to Kabul
To marry rasheed. Nearly two decades later , a friendship
Grows between laila a local teenager, and mariam
As strong as ties between a mother and daughter
When Taliban takes over, life becomes a desperate
Struggle.yet love can make ppl to act in unexpected
Ways and lead them to overcome the most daunting
Obstacles with startling heroism.
Comment: lovely book on suffering of women.
Pls try and read it...!
Title:  Ends and Means

Author:  Aldous Huxley

Genre:  Essay

Brief Synopsis:  About us, our society. Our social conditioning.

Comments: a quote from the book. "First Shakespeare sonnets seem meaningless; first Bach fugues, a bore; first differential equations, sheer torture. But training changes the nature of our spiritual experiences. In due course, contact with an obscurely beautiful poem, an elaborate piece of counterpoint or of mathematical reasoning, causes us to feel direct intuitions of beauty and significance. It is the same in the moral world."

Title: The Fault In Our Stars 
Author: John Green

Genre: Young adult romance
Brief Synopsis: Diagnosed with Stage IV thyroid cancer at 13, Hazel was prepared to die until, at 14, a medical miracle shrunk the tumours in her lungs... for now.  Enter Augustus Waters. A match made at cancer kid support group, Augustus is gorgeous, in remission, and shockingly to her, interested in Hazel. Being with Augustus is both an unexpected destination and a long-needed journey, pushing Hazel to re-examine how sickness and health, life and death, will define her and the legacy that everyone leaves behind
My Ratings: 5 out of 5!
My comments:  This book, can't even begin to tell how much i love it! Initially i was a little apprehensive to read it because it deals with sensitive topic like cancer and cancer hits too close to home but i am so glad i took a chance and read it. Eveything in this book is real, the story, the romance, the characters, the dialogues and especially the disease, there's nothing like dying gracefully or other bullshit because we know cancer is ugly and unpleasent BUT this book is not abt cancer or tragedy. This book is real funny because I laughed out loud -- out loud. The characters Hazel Grace and Augustus Waters are witty, funny and inspiring.This book is about friendship, romance and life. I'd say take a chance and read it guys. In the end  i'll just say John Green. John Green.John Green. what have you done to my heart! 

Favourite Quotes:  

- "I fell in love the way you fall asleep: slowly, and then all at once." 
- "That's the thing about pain...it demands to be felt." 
"Oh, I wouldn't mind, Hazel Grace. It would be a privilege to have my heart broken by you."
- "The world is not a wish-granting factory." 
- "I've gotten really hot since you went blind."
- "I didn't tell him that the diagnosis came three months after I got my first period. Like: Congratulations! You're a woman. Now die."
"You don't get to choose if you get hurt in this world...but you do have some say in who hurts you. I like my choices." 
Edited by tehreem. - 11 years ago
Title:  The Satanic Verses

Author:  Salman Rushdie

Genres: Realism

Comment: The controversy revolving around the book is intriguing!

Title:  Catch 22
Author:  Joseph Heller
Genre: Satire/Military/American History
Brief Synopsis:  
Follows the lives of one lead character Yossarian and many other characters in a military setting in WWII. It is a commentary on how silly war is and the rules that humans make up in society. It makes you laugh and makes you think.
Comments:
Really really awesome style of writing unlike any other. And the sequence of the book is very interesting, it's not linear but there is a progression at the same time.
Posted: 10 years ago
I want recommendations in horror genre , please , please , please .
Ok , here goes my suggestion...
Genre - Comedy
Book Name - Three Men In A Boat
Author - Jerome K Jerome Synopsis - It's an absolutely hilarious , heartwarming story of three friends out on a vacation on a boat journey . Reason for recommending - Fantastically well written . I've read this when I's 14 , but still read it whenever I can .