Book Recommendations by Genres

Posted: 11 years ago
Hello Book Lovers ðŸ¤—

We get a lot of questions about good books and a lot of posts asking about recommendations. So I think it'd be a good idea to have a running list of all the good books that you would recommend to others.

As people post their recommendations, I'll sort them by genres and update the post below.  That way anyone who's looking for recommendations will have plenty to consider. 

Please don't just give us the title of the book. Follow the format below while posting your recommendations so people can choose according to their likes.

Format for Book Recommendations

Title:  
Author:  
Genre:  
Brief Synopsis:  
(Very brief summary of the story line. Please do NOT give anything away.. Just something like "It's a story of a young girl with special powers in healing and how those powers affect her" would suffice).
Comments:
(Anything additional comments on why you love the book & why you recommend it to others go here).

There are various different genres... here's a list to help you out:

• Nonfiction - Any narrative with real details/facts.
  • Romances tend to be stories that principally focus on love and relationships, and may take as a subject a single love relationship, or an individual looking for love.
  • Westerns can be a branch of historical fiction but may more loosely deal with life in the wild American west, as it was settled.
  • Mysteries often have characters that investigate crimes or various puzzles.
  • Science fiction tends to use some scientific data as basis for stories, and might focus on things like apocalypse scenarios, future worlds, or space travel, to name just a few.
  • Fantasy may deal with various "unreal" or magical things, or things not possible in the real world, and may contain alternate worlds and/or mythical and made up creatures or peoples.
  • Thrillers are sometimes called spy thrillers and might have themes in which spies are involved in investigating various events, often on a global scale.
  • Horror may rely on elements like the supernatural, apocalyptic events, or in some cases exceptionally graphic cases of murder or mutilation caused by humans or other sources.
  • Historical fiction invents characters or deeds for a specific time period and may tell the story of that time period through fictional and non-fictional but fictionalized characters. A variation of this is the period novel, written either during or after a certain time period and particularly emphasizing what it was like to live in that era, with perhaps fictional characters as examples.
  • Romantic Suspense tends to focus on romance and love with a tone of suspense and uncertainty. 
  • Comedies usually involve other genres but the story is mostly for comic relief.

Courtesy: Wisegeek.com

So let's go! This way we, Book Lovers, can help other book lovers out there or just anyone who wants to read a good book :)

Best,
Mahi
Edited by -Mystery- - 11 years ago
Book Recommendations

All of the following books are recommended by our lovely Book Lovers.  If you want to know what the book's about, you'll find the synopsis posted by the members on the page listed next to the title of the book.  You might have to scroll down a little to get to the particular post with the book you're interested in.

Nonfiction 

• The Last Lecture by Randy Pausch (Page 1)
  • Tuesdays with Morrie by Mitch Albom (Page 3)

Fiction

• A Thousand Splended Suns by Khaled Hosseini (Page 4)

Romances

• Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen (Page 2)
  • Finding Grace by Sarah Pawley (Page 2)

Westerns

Mysteries 

• Veronika Decides to Die: A Novel of Redemption by Paulo Coelho (Page 2)
  • The No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency (series) by Alexander McCall Smith
  • Paper Towns by John Green (Page 3)

Science Fiction

• The Hunger Games trilogy by Suzanne Collins (Page 3)
  • Divergent by Veronica Roth (Page 3)

Fantasy

• Percy Jackson & The Olympians by Rick Riordan (Page 1)
  • The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho (Page 2)
  • Graceling by Kristin Cashore (Page 3)
  • Elsewhere by Gabrielle Zevin (Page 3)

Thrillers

Horror

Historical Fiction

• The Book Thief by Markus Zusak (Page 2)

Romantic Suspense

• The Darkest Hour by Maya Banks (Page 2)
  • Guarding the Princess by Loreth Anne White (Page 3)

Comedy

Edited by -Mystery- - 11 years ago
I guess I'll start!

Title:  The Last Lecture
Author:  Randy Pausch
Genre:  Nonfiction
Brief Synopsis:  The book is about all the things Mr. Pausch wanted his children to know after his pancreatic cancer took his life.  The book's written by a dying professor but it's all about how to live and how to achieve childhood dreams. It's one of my most favorite books.  I'm inspired every time I read it.

Originally posted by -Mystery-

I guess I'll start!

Title:  The Last Lecture
Author:  Randy Pausch
Genre:  Nonfiction
Brief Synopsis:  The book is about all the things Mr. Pausch wanted his children to know after his pancreatic cancer took his life.  The book's written by a dying professor but it's all about how to live and how to achieve childhood dreams. It's one of my most favorite books.  I'm inspired every time I read it.

Someone else also recommended me this but I nvr really got interest in it.. But as u r suggesting  dis I ll read it..
But I hv exams in jan..may be in feb I ll start with this..

Also I want recmmendations in ROmance genre😳
Awesome Idea, Mahi. Here's a recommendation by me!
"Title: Percy Jackson & The Olympians 
Author: Rick Riordan
Genre: Fantasy & Young-Adult  
Brief Synopsis: This series is about the adventures of a boy, Percy Jackson, a demigod and his friends, Annabeth Chase(another fellow demigod) and Grover Underwood, a satyr. It is set the present America, where the Greek Gods are still alive. Percy Jackson & the Olympians mainly focuses on Percy's quest to defeat evil Titan Kronos and prevent him from taking over the world.
I really enjoyed this series and would recommend it for Harry Potter fans."

Edited by LavenderCrystal - 11 years ago
Originally posted by iluvvampires

Someone else also recommended me this but I nvr really got interest in it.. But as u r suggesting  dis I ll read it..
But I hv exams in jan..may be in feb I ll start with this..

Also I want recmmendations in ROmance genre😳

It is an awesome book! And it doesn't take long to read it either. I've finished in just a few hours. Exams come first, do read it and let me know what you think afterwards :)

I'll keep updating the post as more books are recommended. I'm sure there are many fans of the romance genre out there :)
CAN WE add another genre ... ahem ahem ... that would be ROMANTIC SUSPENSE ... then m gonna come up with a few ... coz teenagers read those thigs all day ... experince :P:P:P .. godd job mody ... now i can get some good stabilised arranged recs ...will post in soon
@aishwrya
Romantic n suspense.. It's like sone par suhaga...
Do recommend those.. 
Originally posted by -Mystery-

It is an awesome book! And it doesn't take long to read it either. I've finished in just a few hours. Exams come first, do read it and let me know what you think afterwards :)

I'll keep updating the post as more books are recommended. I'm sure there are many fans of the romance genre out there :)
I really want to read it now.. I as I need motivation to survive n study for exams😆

Title:  The Book Thief
Author:  Markus Zusak
Genre:  Historical Fiction/ Holocaust Fiction
Brief Synopsis:  A simple story of a German girl with Death as the narrator and of course the story is based in Nazi Germany. 

My comments: This book has been labeled as 'Future Classic' and I am pretty sure its gonna be featured in text books. The book is poetic, humorous in a dark way and it just steals your heart. You start caring for the characters and ahh.. I can just go on and on. Its a must read and believe me you wont regret it.

edited- 

A quote to show how poetic the writing is-

"Trust me, though, the words were on their way, and when they arrived, Liesel would hold them in her hands like the clouds, and she would wring them out like rain." 
Edited by cupcake- - 11 years ago