Diya Aur Baati Hum

I dream, You dream, We all dream ... for Ice Cream

-SamiR- thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail
Posted: 11 years ago
After watching today's episode, I'm not surprised as to why our forum's BP went through the roof! I think further discussing the epi will only make things worse; so I'm not going to do that πŸ˜ƒ. Instead of talking about this nightmare of an episode, I think I will talk about something else. ... 
Let's see ... what shall I talk about ... maybe something that's completely different ...  something completely opposite of this nightmare ... hmm ... what's the opposite of nightmares? πŸ€” ... dreams ...  aha! That's it! I'll talk about dreams.

Dreams are nice. We all have them, so we can all relate to them. Some of us dream of having gaadi, bungala, bank balance (but mere paas ... Maa hai! πŸ€ͺ); others dream of glory, or awards, or Olympic medals ⭐️; yet others dream about Katrina, Priyanka, Anushka, Kareena, Genelia, Bipasha,  ... well ... you get the point ☺️ (and for you ladies out there, I know you only dream of Anas πŸ˜†)! Dreams are an important part of us, of our lives. It's what we strive towards, our goal, our purpose. For some of us, the only reason for living is to see a certain dream fulfilled! All this talk of dreams reminds me of the dreams of some specific people:

Martin Luther King Jr. had a dream. This American civil rights activist had a dream that became famous, thanks to his well-known speech. He describes his dream in the speech: "I have a dream, that my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin but by the content of their character!" πŸ‘ Wow! Such powerful words!

There was a young girl who had a dream. She dreamt of serving her people, her country. She dreamt of fighting crime, establishing justice, and purifying her nation. She dreamt of making her parents proud. A noble dream indeed πŸ‘πŸΌ, especially considering she was a girl living in a male-dominated society that was plagued with gender discrimination πŸ˜’!

There was a mother who had a dream. She dreamt of a future filled with happiness for her beloved son . She dreamt of a daughter-in-law that will love his son and be capable of providing for him all the comforts of the world. A daughter-in-law that will successfully manage her family and take care of them through thick and thin. An ordinary dream, which almost every Indian mother has. But a dream made noble, because her son truly was deserving of a life filled with happiness !

Okay, okay ... I think you figured it out by now that I failed in my promise to not talk about DABH (but before you turn the heavy artillery from seelaks thread on me , please realize that I have to talk about DABH in this forum; or else it would be against the rules πŸ˜‰)! Anyways, I must come clean now; my intention was to raise the question that Bhabho raised today: Is Bhabho's dream somehow unequal to that of Sandhya's? Is her dream not worth being fulfilled, simply because they are 'budhi aankhon ke berangeen sapne'? It's clear that the two dreams are parallel; it's hard to see them happening together, unless some compromise is reached. But why should one give up their dream for someone else? We all have equal rights. The dreams mentioned above don't break any legal or moral laws. Then why would one give up their dream to fulfill another's? πŸ˜•

Now, it would be unfair of me to ask you a question and not put any effort in trying to think of a possible answer. So before I make you do all the work, I'll have a go at it. The one answer I could come up with was 'love' ❀️. If you love a person so much that his/her dream takes precedence over yours, and her/his happiness is what makes you happy, then it's quite easy to give in and maybe even leave your dream behind. We see parents often doing this: they might have dreamed for their child to have a certain career but if the child dreams otherwise, the parents, out of unconditional love, will give up their own dream. Likewise, Suraj had a dream similar to Bhabho's but he loves Sandhya soo much  that he gave up his dream without hesitation . Also, Sandhya, among other reasons, decided to give up her dream out of love for Suraj and Bhabho. Now Bhabho, ... she might love her beendni (😲 I know, it's a shocking possibility), but she loves Suraj way more ! She knows that Suraj shared her dream, and she just does not love Sandhya enough to give up her own dreams for her (sorry BhaSan fans πŸ˜†). So now there are two possibilities: either Bhabho's love for Sandhya grows to a point where she accepts Sandhya's dream; or (a more likely scenario) Suraj convinces Bhabho that his dream is now the same as Sandhya's dream!

Thanks for bearing with the long post ; I look forward to your answers to the question Bhabho and I posed above. Happy Weekend! 
Edited by -SamiR- - 11 years ago

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

UMDU thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail
You simply are too good Samiji. Very logically assessed the situation. You have connected the idea of dreams very well with the story .Bhabo  loves her son the most and she feels she is the only one who can understand what would make him happy. She is extremely protective about him. As a mother who has seen her son struggle to bring up the family from a financial crisis when her husband was taken sick, she wants him to have all the happiness in the world. Here we are talking about her definition of happiness for her son not his idea. She feels since he has had a difficult childhood, he should have a very happy married life. She never once wanted an educated wife for her son. She is cheated into getting one, but reconciles to the situation seeing the other qualities in her Beendani. Suraj will never be able to convince her that Sandhya's dream is also his. Even if he shouts from roof tops she will not accept it. Her fears of SurYa separation  and danger to Sandhya's life in IPS are real fears which no amount of talking can allay.She thinks Suraj does not understand the implication of IPS and to a great extent she is right.  Even Bhabasa who has always stood rock solid behind Suraj has not supported him in this. He has  similar fear and misgivings. Bhabo feels she knows what is best for her son and unless he takes a Devdas avatar things are not likely to improve. She does love her Beendani but not over her son. Her son's interest are primary for her. So both your options cannot work fully, but her son's pain can move Bhabo. Despite all her faults and taunts she will not be able to see her son in pain. If Suraj goes into deep depression stops talking, eating less and is no longer his cheerful self than Bhabo and Bhabasa will warm up to the idea . The success of other possibilities seem limited to me at this stage. Edited by UMDU - 11 years ago
preeti73 thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail
Very well written Samir...I like your style of writing ... you have described beautifully how each persons dream is so dear to them and how each dream is stepping over the other person's dream in the process no one's dream is getting fulfilled...πŸ˜†!!!!!!

It's a wait and watch situation...

I do not think that Bhabho's love for Sandhya will grow to a point where she accepts Sandhya's dream;but some circumstances will compell her to think that for her son to be happy she will have to accept  that her son's dream is now the same as Sandhya's dream(although according to her what she is screaming is in the best interest of her son) but no more convincing is going to work as of now.

So hopefully everyone's dream is fulfilled with Sandhya having to work double hard to fulfill her dream as well as Bhabho's dream.
-SamiR- thumbnail
Thank you UMDU ji for your thoughtful reply! Agree with what you said; devdas avatar could be effective. Actually, I think this is one way how Suraj can show that he is serious, and really cherishes Sandhya's dream as his own. Either way, as long as he remains persistent, Bhabho will have to eventually recognize that Suraj's happiness is in the fulfillment of Sandhya's dream; Bhabho maan jayegi! πŸ˜Š
AHLMH thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail
Nice post n great analysis ...
I loved d post ...
Big hand 4 u... πŸ‘ n
I agree with preeti ... Sandhya has 2 work hard ...
-SamiR- thumbnail
Originally posted by: preeti73

Very well written Samir...I like your style of writing ... you have described beautifully how each persons dream is so dear to them and how each dream is stepping over the other person's dream in the process no one's dream is getting fulfilled...πŸ˜†!!!!!!

It's a wait and watch situation...

I do not think that Bhabho's love for Sandhya will grow to a point where she accepts Sandhya's dream;but some circumstances will compell her to think that for her son to be happy she will have to accept  that her son's dream is now the same as Sandhya's dream(although according to her what she is screaming is in the best interest of her son) but no more convincing is going to work as of now.

So hopefully everyone's dream is fulfilled with Sandhya having to work double hard to fulfill her dream as well as Bhabho's dream.

Thanks preeti for your kind compliments! I agree with what you said. Although, I don't think Sandhya needs to work double hard. If she goes into IPS, SurYa's lifestyle has to adapt. Both Suraj and Sandhya have to share the responsibility of raising a family; the traditional setup of husband working outside, and wife doing all the house work will not work, IMO.

@ Ashita - Thanks for the appreciation!
Edited by -SamiR- - 11 years ago
HalleNJ thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 2
SamiRji...wonderful post πŸ‘

a very good question and you have actually given a perfect answer to it πŸ˜‰...it's all about LOVE...bhabo loves her son sooo much and it has turned into over-possesiveness until she's unable to see her son's true feelings...and Sandya, also soo much in love with Suraj and also I think she has started loving the family as her own, so she too sacrificed her dream for their happiness...and we all know Suraj always loved Sandya and after the WTC experience, he has learned a lot about dream and success...many times Suraj mentioned that Sandya made a common man dream come true, so that means he too had a dream to be successful but never thought of working towards it until Sandya came into his life...so unconditional love + realisation of fulfilling wife's dream especially after learning that her parents were with him at their last breath made suraj more determined to work towards it...

πŸ˜• I think I'm just repeating what you've said in your post...I agree with you that everyone is behaving in such way because of LOVE, but Suraj has another solid reason to be stubborn, that is his realisation of importance of fulfilling one's dream after the WTC experience...now I know why the CVs showed the track with a little bit of exaggeration πŸ˜‰

Bhabo only sees/likes Sandya as her 'son's wife'...she will only start supporting Sandya and her dreams whole heartedly when she starts accepting/loving Sandya as her 'own daughter'...

Edited by niruba - 11 years ago
TOTAL-ROMANTIC thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 3
Hai Samir..What a wonderful post yaar..πŸ‘ Dilkhush kardiya..But my anger on Bhabo remains CONSTANT🀒..All I can now give You a answer is..thsi BHABHO is one Attention seeking lady who cant imagine that her Son has moved from her pallu to loving another woman..She is OBSESSED with her love to her son SURAJ..by raising him to Shravan Kumar she actually always expects her son to give sacrifices in hsi life..But awww Suraj who have sacrifised even thsi time..but for hsi WIFE's Dream & her parents Dream..Aw..what a Man..I so cant explain hwo much I love him..!! Ok so thats what I am saying..I WILL NEVER FORGIVE BHABHO at least in this LIFE>.πŸ˜†
Deebz thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail
SamiR, I was going to say  "Et, tu Brutus!" when you started to defend Bhabo's dreams but you beautifully turned it around. Hats off! You are a great writer. Your "uncle" status is earned thru the maturity of your writing.πŸ˜†
Love would be the best, most ideal reason for Bhabo to give her blessings. I have often seen that women who have had unfulfilled dreams (either thru circumstance like Bhabo or just by being never satisfied with what they have achieved or attained) are often the ones who look to their sons to complete them. They tend to cling to the sons more and be more possessive. It is very difficult for them to share a son's love with another woman. If the son happens to be like Suraj, it is doubly hard. The only way they can tolerate it  is by imagining the daughter in law as not a person at all but an object that has been brought to fulfill a need. If that person has any aspiration other than just serving the son, they go " What, Who does she think she is, a human being?"
I am not generalizing. There are women like Dilip's mom who are happy in their sons' happiness. True love is selfless and Bhabo needs to get there in her love for Suraj. As for loving Sandy, that is an uphill climb, if her inhumane treatment of her after her having done so much for  the parivaar is anything to go by.

SAIBALROUTH thumbnail
Samir Ji, nice post. Very nice questions posed and I think somehow or the other, one has to give up her dream, I mean, it is either Bhabo's dream or Sandhya's dream, both cannot happen together and on no account a compromise may be reached as the talking point is IPS dream and even Bhabasa has realized that. I guess Bhabo will have to readjust with her wishes for the sake of Suraj and Sandhya's happiness, especially as Suraj too said that his dream is now same as Sandhya, that is to see her as IPS officer.