Bollywood News, Bollywood Movies, Bollywood Chat

Sona doesn't look like me: Reena Roy

TheRager thumbnail
Anniversary 19 Thumbnail Group Promotion 8 Thumbnail + 4
Posted: 11 years ago
Sona doesn't look like me

Mumbai Mirror gets the reclusive Reena Roy to talk about her daughter, Mohsin Khan and Sonakshi Sinha

Vickey.Lalwani @timesgroup.com

Her first film, B R Ishara's Nai Duniya Naye Log (1972), was a non-starter but she shot to fame with Subhash Ghai's directorial debut Kalicharan (1975). Thereafter, Reena Roy never looked back. While still at the top of her game, she quit films to marry then Pakistani cricketer Mohsin Khan. While things didn't really work out between the couple, Reena has held her own with poise. And while the actress has been media-shy for the longest time, she agreed to an interview with Mirror after several calls. Excerpts…
Why do we never see you at functions and parties? We saw you after years when Rajesh Khanna passed away…
Rajesh was a buddy to me. I miss him so much. About your other question, I was never a party person. It was just home-sets-home for me. I would get up at 5am and go horse-riding and then biking, followed by dance classes. I did nearly 100 films before marriage. I was lucky to do many women-oriented films like Aasha, Apnapan and Nagin to name a few. My only regret is I couldn't work with Dilip Kumar.
It's said you entered films to support your family financially?
That's rubbish floating on the Internet. In fact, my mom wanted me to get married after four films. If she saw me die in a film, she feared the same would happen to me in real life. When my daughter was with Mohsin and I was pining for her, she associated the event with one of my roles. Anyway, I had a very successful run and didn't marry for a long time till Mohsin Khan (former Pakistan cricketer) came into my life.
Your decision to marry Mohsin shocked everybody. You were at the peak of your career at the time…
Stagnation had set in. I yearned for a break. I thought marriage was the break and I got married to Mohsin. Once our daughter was born (earlier called Jannat, now Sanam), I gave up all plans of returning to films.
What went wrong between Mohsin and you?
He had a house in London but I never liked it there. My sisters would come to England to give me company when he travelled for his cricket matches. Else, I would come to Mumbai. It wasn't claustrophobic but I felt very lonely. And then he wanted me to get a British citizenship which was not acceptable to me. Besides, I could not adjust to his environment and lifestyle, what with friends, late nights and entertaining people. We realised we are two very different people. At one point, I called my mom from London and asked her, 'What is the meaning of marriage?' She just said, 'Nibha le. Shaadi means nibhana'. I listened to her otherwise I think I would have come back way earlier.
You experienced a very difficult phase when your daughter was with Mohsin for seven years?
Difficult is an understatement. It was terrible. I didn't leave any stone unturned to get Sanam back. Shammi Aunty sent home sadhus, who gave me a long list of do's and dont's as far as eating is concerned and I complied. They then said I should stand in the sea every day and I did that too (sighs)…till my mom intervened (pauses)…
Go on…
But I have nothing against Mohsin per se. He is a wonderful person. After me, he married twice. His third wife takes good care of him. He is in touch with Sanam every day and she loves him. If and when he is not able to reach her, he calls me and enquires if all is well. I think he took Sanam away when he did because he felt I would follow them and settle down with him in London.
Why didn't you remarry?
There is no time. My daughter is my responsibility. Shaadi karna yaane ek aur aadmi ko paalna…
At one point, people thought you were a better dancer than even Vyjayanthimala. Do you miss dancing?
Had I not married, I would have become a better dancer. I think I still have a lot to learn in dancing.
We hear Sanam wants to be an actress…
She loves acting but she hasn't made up her mind yet.
Ekta Kapoor is remaking Nagin. Your thoughts…
That's lovely. And I think some newcomer who doesn't have a set image should be asked to step into my role.
Sonakshi Sinha looks so much like you…
Sonakshi looks like her mom Poonam Sinha, not me. I think Salman Khan's family has given a very typical Indian look that resembles my look on screen. When I did Zakhmee, I was called Asha Parekh and Nasir Hussain's daughter. Dimple was referred to as Nargis's daughter. Film industry mein toh yeh silsila chalte rehta hai. Kuch din baad khatam ho jaata hai.
Have you met Sonakshi?
I met her when she was much younger. Gol matol thi. Not after that.

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

When I did Zakhmee, I was called Asha Parekh and Nasir Hussain's daughter.

Uh-huh! Asha & Nasir were items.  😳

Edited by bambogli - 11 years ago
TheRager thumbnail
^^^Yes...I was reading up Asha recently after her birthday. They were an item and I guess thats why Asha never married.
Sonakshi does look like Reena Roy, not her mum. I still think ke daal mein kuch kaala hai 😆
TheRager thumbnail
Pictures of Sonakshi with her mom. She looks like a carbon copy of Reena Roy rather than Poonam.

ruky786 thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 4
No Reena she definitely looks like you😛
_notinuse_ thumbnail
I really want someone to figure this out. DNA test maybe? 
dazzling_doll thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail

Her nose, forehead and face cut is like poonam's
_notinuse_ thumbnail
This content was originally posted by: dazzling_doll

Her nose, forehead and face cut is like poonam's

okay so maybe Sonakshi daddy had a taste for similar looking women. They say men have a type they go for. Maybe he has a fetish for big forheaded women. Then again, Reena looks a lot more like Sonakshi than Poonam
Chippeshwini thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 3
and yet you address her by her nickname eh