Debate of the Day: Online friends - Page 3

Posted: 17 years ago
the topic is really nice
in my opinion we can trust offline friends more than online friends
we cant judge the people just by looking the way he writes or sends messages to us.and also we cannot trust anyone without seeing them.
Posted: 17 years ago

Who do you trust more? Why?

To start of this is really an awesome topic ... Something which has been a part of my life ever since I moved to The States ... I am one of those who trust people easily anyways ... But over the years I have learned to study people's behavior over a long period of time either online or offline .. It's obvious to know better about a person whom you meet everyday than someone you have never meet ... But for me I trust both my online and offline friends as much ... That's what makes us friends ... Their sincerity and honesty is what bonds us ...

How do you know how and when to trust people you never met?

This is a tricky question ... I guess we just have to go with the gut feeling ... We can only be friends if we trust them ... If we are confident enough to share things with them .. Otherwise they are just going to be acquaintances who come and go, be it online or offline .... I think it's the relationship that we build over time .. Obviously, you can't become friends with someone over night and expect them to be loyal to you ... Not everyone is trustworthy ... So, I guess, time speaks ...

How much can you trust them?

There is only so much you can talk to the person on the other side of the screen ... Coz one they are not part of our daily lives in the sense wouldn't know what EXACTLY is going on here ... I have been lucky enough to trust them as much as I trust my offline friends ...  But it's not always the case ... Like I said, time will only tell how much to trust ...

What are the risks of online friendships? 

The nasty side of all this is there are always those jerks who are just here to some ugly fun ... I have known people who had been played with their emotions and have just made their lives miserable .. But I guess one could argue the same with offline friends ... But at least offline you KNOW who the person is, but online he/she is a TOTAL stranger ... which one has to be really careful about .. There is absolutely no  guarantee if the other person is saying the truth about anything at all ... from name to gender to place to just everything ...

Are off line friends always more trustworthy and reliable than online friends?

Not necessarily ... I count on my online friends more than offline friends at times ... It depends on the situation