Debate of the Day: Online friends - Page 2

Posted: 17 years ago

Hi I-F Members๐Ÿ˜Š

Its a new day and a new day means a new debate๐Ÿ˜ƒ

Hmm...What should we discuss today? how about something that concerns us all

So ladies and gents...i would like to invite all of you to I-F Debate of the Day for June 30th to July 2nd๐Ÿ‘ ๐Ÿ‘

Todays topic is..........

"Where to draw the line when it comes to trusting online and offline friends (real life)"

All of us have online friends and off line friends. Who do you trust more? Why? how do you know how and when to trust people you never met? How much can you trust them? What are the risks of online friendships? Are off line friends always more trustworthy and reliable than online friends?

I know you all thought about this in one way or another. Now is the time to come forward and share your views. Lets see what our fellow I-F members have to say

I-F Dev Team

Edited by ~LiL*PrInCeZ~ - 17 years ago
Gud topic. I am da first one to reply. I will post my thought soon.. ๐Ÿ˜† ๐Ÿ˜†

Very Interesting topic

All of us have online friends and off line friends.

Who do you trust more? Why?
Well, i hate a lot of friends, both online and offline with a handful in both communities i am very close to. But the fact remains, i have trusted some online friends with secrets that even my offliner real friends dont know. And my online friends have really really helped me soo much. Someone from IF i am soo close to has helped me alot when i faced a very tough time in real life and had no one to turn to. Trust is something that comes from the heart and it doesn matter whether u see that person or not!

how do you know how and when to trust people you never met?

As i said trust comes from the heart and not the face! And its the fact that they are offline that enables u to trust them. Because u know the repecussions are little if u tell them something and they rattle it out. The fact would remain, that u are in a position to listen or not. However with the case of offline friends, u have to listen and face the consequences.

How much can you trust them?

Alot. To the matter of telling them stuff all my offliner friends dont and some of my most deepest secrets!

What are the risks of online friendships?

There are risks with all friendships. The risk of making a bad choice, getting cheates, being exploited, taken for a ride. But personally, expectations are less from an offline friend hence the chances of getting hurt decrease!

Are off line friends always more trustworthy and reliable than online friends?

No not necessarily. Ultimately it depends of the person and depends on the friend and more importantly U! if u are a good friend, chances are u will find good friends who are trustworthy and nice!

nice topic again

cheers
sneha

hey i think this topic is very good one and it needs a lot of thought

i dont know really what to say but i think all have pros and cons

offline friends r ppl who u can see and know abt them when u meet in casual circle or thru someone and u learn to rely on them or belive them.

online friends male or female well initially there r reservations whether u shud be able to trust them or not. so everyone is bound to be on alert and on safe side before divulgin more

the more u talk to ur online friends u start trusting them and believing them and u can rely on ur online friends.

i think its upto a person how much one can trust and belive any friend whether its offline or online

i have friends online who i met here in i-f and developed great friendship. when i joined the forum i didnt know anyone and slowly started knowin many and now i have my own set of freinds who hv moved into messengers.
the trust and belief comes from within and u know yes this person is true and right.
even if u have freinds offline the real ppl who u have known for some time or for longer time depends on their behavior and nature how much u can trust them

the real ppl also back stab at times and relationships and friendships break

as i said everything has its pros and cons so it depends on the individual how much he/she can trust a person offline or online

if the trust is there the friendship stays for lifetime
if the trust is broken nothin can repair it

"Where to draw the line when it comes to trusting online and offline friends (real life)"

All of us have online friends and off line friends. Who do you trust more?
i trust my some of my online friends a bit more than offline "friends", but then  i do trust my offline frens too 

Why?
i donno !! ๐Ÿ˜† but i feel online frens are more worth of my frens than offline frens and i never had any problem with online frens till now (i.e in three yrs )

talking a lot helps !! ๐Ÿ˜Š๐Ÿ˜Š atleast in my case it helped a lot !! and to trust a person or not is an impulsive reaction in my case ...... i do what i feel to do !! it hasnt backfired so i trust my gutt feeling in this area

how much ever u feel like !! ......... i mean i do have a lot of online frens ......... but i do not trust everybody equally , some are close and some arent !! ๐Ÿ˜Š๐Ÿ˜Š

as such i guess there are no risks if the two ppl are genuine !! and u need to check for that ........ moreover we can ignore an online friend by just pressing a button if that person is troublesome ........ but cant do so with offline frens ๐Ÿ˜†

Are offline friends always more trustworthy and reliable than online friends?
hmm........ tough question ..... but i guess they are more reliable coz ......sometimes they do help us a lot (atleast in my case ) when offline frens couldnt !!

Well, I trust my online friends more....

Why?

simple reason..The online friends do not have any other agenda......there are no expectations in online friendship.....I can share so many things with my online friends, and they wouldnt go and tattle it to anyone๐Ÿ˜ƒ..

Point is, none of us really divulge the most important secrets or troubles when we arent fully confident about the person's loyalty๐Ÿ˜ƒ..Its not that I chat with someone today, and tomorrow I'm going to tell that person all my troubles....now hypothetically i have become bankrupt...if i share my tribulations with me real life friends, they might have many reservations..they might think that i am asking them for monetary help...besides, its really hard for real life friends to keep secrets especially relatives..confide something in them, and the first thing they do is go and tattle it to a third person, and my whole problem will be blown out of proportion by the  grapevine๐Ÿคข

well, trust is something that has to won over by the other person...so their loyalty to you can help you decide as to how much you can trust them....

well, unless you arent dating someone online, and unless that person doesnt expect anything from you, i dont think online friendship entails any risk.....but if the person constantly pressurizes you to meet him/her in person,asks you for personal details like telephone number.house address etc ,it implies that that friendship is getting a tad risky....the biggest problem is the authenticity of the person.....

Are offline friends always more trustworthy and reliable than online friends?

YES..provided the online friend is a good one,......it varies from person to person.....many of the real life friends turn out to be the biggest knaves,and that can happen in the case of online friendship too.......

BOTTOMLINE:

WE SHOULD NOT STEREOTYPE OR GENERALIZE

Onnline & Offline๐Ÿ˜›

Why?

thera re very nice they care for me...
love me....

Now ...
A very good friend /sister of my is :Tumhari_Khushi
She talks very friendly...
She have no time ..
But still she she makes sigz for her friends ..
Thats why i can trust her ๐Ÿ˜Š

100%

no risks....

Same answer as Nishi...

well obviously i trust my Offline and online friends!

Why?

they're my world,my strength and i love to be with them!

how do you know how and when to trust people you never met?

well you begin to know people while chatting, and then also start trusting them!

100%!

risks? let see, maybe that you don't know if the person is really trustworthy!

mostly, i would say maybe.......?

That's a pretty good topic for debate !!    ๐Ÿ‘

I think offline friends are more trustworthy than online friends. My reason are as follows :

a)we all have our definition of friend & friendship

b) when we make offline friends, we judge them on many levels ( e.g. facial expressions, etiquete, body language etc. ) and decide whether the person is eligible for my friendship.

c) if we find the person matching the description of friend acc. to our definition we start being free in its company.

d) meeting someone in actual presence makes a lot of difference in approach.

e) when making online friends we cannot be completely sure whether the person is honest or not, even if you are.

Thats all from me

Lotz of love , hugs & wishes,

Shipra

This is a greaaat topic... there's a lot to say about

Who do you trust more?

Honestly at this stage... i have many great acquaintances online and real life, and i have 1 great great friend online and off. Sometimes it feels easier to talk more freely to the online friend, because 1 thing, it feels kinda comforting to spill out to someone who has similar problems, and therefore, can help out in an easier fashion. Sometimes i feel that its hard to tell my offline friends some things because I'll be able to see her expression, and sometimes i know that i wouldnt want to feel her reaction so openly.

Why?

ahaha... look above

How do you know how and when to trust people you never met?

It wouldnt be the wisest thing to just scrape off some random secrets to a person i've been talking to for 20 mins. And semi-personal and personal info is completely out of the question. For me, I tell my online friend quite a lot of things because i know that he/she won't tell anyone. But then in order to know that, two people have to be in contact for some time before they get into trusting each other. For some people it takes less time, for some it takes more.

Quite a lot. As i said before, its great to spill off to someone who you know face the same kinds of problems.

There's always the "is he/she really ___ years old?" or "Is he/she really a guy/girl" kinda thing. When we talk to a good online friend, we blindly talk to them. That's completely alryt, bt then we should just be careful about ourselves and make sure we are not interacting with someone who seems like they have wrong intentions.

Well, actually yes... definately. There may be only 1000 people out of 6 billion in the world who will never spill a secret to anyone else... i have not seen such a person till now... and i cant say if i ever will. I know that i can spill secrets sometimes... with online friends, its different... first of all, we have to log on to the internet, and register to some interacting program that will enable us to talk to online friends. Most people do all this for themselves, so they wouldnt ever bother to talk about someone else to each other... usually online friends like to talk to each other to get to know each other well.Edited by rachna_5 - 17 years ago