Mythological Masti

Mockery of Religion in Films? DT Note: Pg10

.anishaa. thumbnail
Posted: 11 years ago
Sorry for the super random topic 😆 
But this was on my mind for quite a bit of time and I finally decided to open up a thread to see what you all think of this.

So in Bollywood movies, which profess to be increasingly modern and advanced, I've noticed a bit of disrespect/disregard for religion. I fail to remember the names of specific movies in which I have seen this, however one prominent film comes to mind.

You've probably all watched it.  

If you're wondering what I mean/need a refresher/want to understand exactly what I'm saying/want to take a quick look, here you go:

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HirqkFN8NBU[/YOUTUBE]

So my question is:

Do you think it's okay to slightly satirize/poke fun at religion in mainstream cinema? Even if no harm/malice is intended?

What is your take on the portrayal of Raghupati Raghav Raja Ram in Kuch Kuch Hota Hai? Are you okay with it or do you object? I noticed that the song/video parallels two views...whenever Kajol and the grandma are shown, they are devoutly doing aarti or are immersed in the divinity of the song. But when SRK comes onto the screen, it's almost as if we're seeing the song from the viewpoint of an agnostic/atheist. The tone of Raghupati Raghav Raja Ram is altered in such a way that it sounds mocking, and the hippie-style outfits of the singers make it seem that the writers wanted to make the bhajan/kirtan a subject of humor...😕 Idk. Personally, I feel like cinema is a medium by which positive or negative messages can be conveyed to the mass public, and this type of depiction of our culture/religion may foster a sense of disrespect/indifference in their minds, either consciously or subconsciously.

Please provide your views...I'm trying to generate some healthy discussion on something that I noticed and felt was important. 😊
And if you want to say I'm overanalyzing this and that it's just a movie, please feel free to say that too, because I myself am not too sure about this. Would love to read your responses! 😊

~*~*~*~*~*~*~

*edited*

Shivang bhaiyya provided me with yet another atrocious example of how cinema is slandering religion  Thanks bhaiyya!

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EiH-dxbX-3U[/YOUTUBE]

*NOTE*
Character Dheela added to the list! (credit to Lola).
Salman Khan references Raas-Leela many times...taking the Lord's name in vain 😳 
The first time I noted it was 0:32-0:34 but I'm sure he's referenced it many times after that. Too lazy to look through the whole video but feel free to share the timings.

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cwI-PsOzcBI[/YOUTUBE]

Edited by .anishaa. - 11 years ago

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

RamKiSeeta thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 8 Thumbnail + 6
Amazing topic, Anisha!

Very well written and great examples provided.👏👏 You asked this question "Do you think it's okay to slightly satirize/poke fun at religion in mainstream cinema? Even if no harm/malice is intended?" My answer is NO, because religion is a route taken to achieve self-actualization for many people and when one pokes fun at it, it's an indirect way of looking down on religious people as if their beliefs are regressive and belonging to the "stone age". Many modern people nowadays think belonging to a religion as regressive, and that they are "spiritual" but not religious. I can respect even atheistic people as long as they do not mock religion but do not believe in it for their own personal reasons, but I cannot and will not respect someone who is apparently "modern" and thinks that requires them to criticize religion and God. When one becomes educated, they should behave in a manner that shows them to be educated but often, so many educated people behave in an uneducated, disrespectable manner that in no way places them on a higher pedestal than uneducated folk. Learning and believing in science does not mean we shun God in our lives, as so many people wrongly think.

But the worst thing is that media nowadays supports such behavior. So often in movies we see characters remark, "Pray to Ram, not Krishna, because Ram was an eka patnivrat whereas Krishna had many wives" as if praying to Lord Krishna would make their husband have affairs. Another remark is "Ram banished his pregnant wife to the forests, so if we take Ram Rajya as an ideal the woman in our nation will become destitute" or "Ram himself asked Sita to give an agni pariksha so why is it wrong for a husband nowadays to doubt his wife when she's out of his sight?".😒

Also, music is a big thing as you demonstrated through the videos you posted. The Raghupati Raghav Raja Ram tune from KKHH is so shocking and a total mockery of the beautiful song!🤢 It also teaches the youth that the elderly are the religious folk and the youth should be "modern" in thinking or else they will not be accepted by society.

Here are some videos I myself would like to share from tollywood that insult religious and/or specific Gods.

A "modern" rendition of Govind Bolo Hari Gopal Bolo:
[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AlUOjXdUSiE[/YOUTUBE]

Watch from 2:40 - 3:40:
[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K9_k2Z1wh4U&list=UUPA2GsTGizZnk7uh3CgmfTw&index=12&feature=plcp[/YOUTUBE]

^^In the above video, the wife suspects her husband has a mistress and he swears on God that he doesn't. She asks him which God he swears on and he says Krishna. She yells at him again saying, "So you have not one, but many set-ups?!" Before he quickly changes his answer to Ram.
Edited by JanakiRaghunath - 11 years ago
MagadhSundari thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 4
Res -- until then, Nishi, you can add Character Dheela to that list as well ;)
.anishaa. thumbnail
Originally posted by: lola610

Res -- until then, Nishi, you can add Character Dheela to that list as well ;)

done! :)
.anishaa. thumbnail
edited again - added the Character Dheela video and the timing where Salman references Raas Leela.
muffins2waffles thumbnail
RES awesome topic Nishi:)
RamKiSeeta thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 8 Thumbnail + 6
.anishaa. thumbnail
Originally posted by: JanakiRaghunath

Amazing topic, Anisha!

Very well written and great examples provided.👏👏 You asked this question "Do you think it's okay to slightly satirize/poke fun at religion in mainstream cinema? Even if no harm/malice is intended?" My answer is NO, because religion is a route taken to achieve self-actualization for many people and when one pokes fun at it, it's an indirect way of looking down on religious people as if their beliefs are regressive and belonging to the "stone age". My feelings exactly! I've been noticing a trend of making fun of religious people in the media. At first my instinct was to just brush it off and move on with life, but it's SO recurrent nowadays that it's getting annoying and I had to speak up. Actually, this point is better illustrated by Shivang bhaiyya's example than mine. If you watch 1:02 to 1:22 of the the second video in the first post, you will see the extent of this unfortunate mockery.  And I hate it when modern people dismiss religion as a thing of the past. Personally, I like to think of myself as pretty "modern" and open-minded, but I still love my religion and respect old customs along with embracing the new. Many modern people nowadays think belonging to a religion as regressive, and that they are "spiritual" but not religious. And I honestly don't understand how one can be "spiritual" but not "religious." The core of spirituality is religion. Some people say that they're spiritual in the sense that they believe everything in the universe is interconnected and that they are a part of it (or something along those lines) but that sounds hypocritical in itself. Without a God, the universe would be nothing but a mere collection of inanimate objects. I can respect even atheistic people as long as they do not mock religion but do not believe in it for their own personal reasons, but I cannot and will not respect someone who is apparently "modern" and thinks that requires them to criticize religion and God. When one becomes educated, they should behave in a manner that shows them to be educated but often, so many educated people behave in an uneducated, disrespectable manner that in no way places them on a higher pedestal than uneducated folk. Learning and believing in science does not mean we shun God in our lives, as so many people wrongly think.

But the worst thing is that media nowadays supports such behavior. So often in movies we see characters remark, "Pray to Ram, not Krishna, because Ram was an eka patnivrat whereas Krishna had many wives" as if praying to Lord Krishna would make their husband have affairs. Another remark is "Ram banished his pregnant wife to the forests, so if we take Ram Rajya as an ideal the woman in our nation will become destitute" or "Ram himself asked Sita to give an agni pariksha so why is it wrong for a husband nowadays to doubt his wife when she's out of his sight?".😒

Also, music is a big thing as you demonstrated through the videos you posted. The Raghupati Raghav Raja Ram tune from KKHH is so shocking and a total mockery of the beautiful song!🤢 It also teaches the youth that the elderly are the religious folk and the youth should be "modern" in thinking or else they will not be accepted by society.

Here are some videos I myself would like to share from tollywood that insult religious and/or specific Gods.

A "modern" rendition of Govind Bolo Hari Gopal Bolo:
[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AlUOjXdUSiE[/YOUTUBE]

Watch from 2:40 - 3:40:
[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K9_k2Z1wh4U&list=UUPA2GsTGizZnk7uh3CgmfTw&index=12&feature=plcp[/YOUTUBE]

^^In the above video, the wife suspects her husband has a mistress and he swears on God that he doesn't. She asks him which God he swears on and he says Krishna. She yells at him again saying, "So you have not one, but many set-ups?!" Before he quickly changes his answer to Ram.

I saw the second video and I noticed what you meant  I understand it was supposed to be funny and that there have to be moments in films in which the audience finds some humor, but this is a perfect example of humor in bad taste. No one should make fun of God, whether they believe in God or not. And humor can be created in many other ways. This wasn't funny at all.
And as a whole, I think the media should have a sense of social responsibility. Progress doesn't mean sacrificing treasures such as belief and devotion. Having a more secular/science-based view towards life is exactly what these kinds of portrayals encourage. I know many Indians that go to my uni that are atheist/not religious, and I think it's partly because of what they've been used to seeing their whole life. It's quite sad actually.

Edited by .anishaa. - 11 years ago
varaali thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 2
Good Topic. Actually I am not an avid movie watcher so I can't give appropriate (or inappropriate, should I say)  examples from films  but I do dislike the flippant and cavalier way in which rituals and religion is used in serials. Most of them are blatantly wrong and inaccurate, but the public seems to lap it up. Sad.

But there is one thing I would like to say - Producers and directors will think a thousand times before using , say, Muslim or Christian religious symbols in such a careless or irreverent manner
Edited by varaali - 11 years ago
wayward thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 8
You're Right. It's Disgusting !!!Edited by Radhikerani - 11 years ago