Mythological Masti

Sri Rama Rajyam (Movie)

VishaD. thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 8 Thumbnail + 7
Posted: 11 years ago
Has anyone watched this movie before? The story starts from Ram killing Raavan and returning back to Ayodya. And Ram is shown to be Blue color in the movie. Is it accurate?

Lord Sri Rama (Balakrishna) retains his wife Sita (Nayanthara) comes back to their kingdom Ayodhya, after killing Ravana. And Sri Rama will continue his charisma in ruling the kingdom after his Pattabhishekam. One day he hears the sweet news that Sita is pregnant. Everything looks fine, but on one day Sri Rama came to know that people in his kingdom are having discussions about Sita's character, as she spent some time in Ravana's place. So, Rama decides himself to leave Sita and she is sent to the forest. There she was protected by Valmiki and was given shelter in his Ashram. Later she gives birth at Ashram to twins; Lava and Kusa. What are the incidents that happens next forms the Sri Rama Rajyam Story.

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Vibhishna thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail
I haven't seen it before but wanted to. I saw it today in Tamil. Its really good. It was originally made in Telugu but dubbed into Tamil and Malayalam as well.

The movie was enjoyable. Planning to get the discs soon 😳

VishaD. thumbnail
Wow, they even have it in Tamil? I have not watched it. How was Nayantara's potrayal as Sita? And was Ram really blue color as per the books?
RamKiSeeta thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 8 Thumbnail + 6
Thanks for opening this topic, Visha. :)

As I'm telugu I saw Sri Rama Rajyam, but honestly I did not enjoy it.😳 Balakrishna was just far too old to play Rama and moreover, he did not do justice to the character at all. He made Rama seem hardhearted and unfeeling towards Sita Mata's pain.πŸ˜” During those dialogues where he was supposed to express his pain for Sita's exile, he did so very stiffly and in a disinterested voice. He was just not a good choice for Rama.

As for Nayanatara, I also did not enjoy her in the role because she overacted a LOT.😳 She's a good actress when it comes to fictional telugu movies and all, but as Sita she did not portray her feelings of pain and sacrifice well. All she was good at was smiling prettily.

This movie was total remake of the 60s Lava Kusa (without even making it slightly different). The only difference is that the language was far more colloquial, but otherwise the scenes were exact replicas of the 60s one, and anyone who has grown up with that version like I have cannot enjoy this one, lol.

As for the color of Rama, he is not supposed to be BLUE. Many paintings and movies show him like this, but Shri Ram and Shri Krishna are described as being the color of water-filled clouds (which is why another name for him is Neelamegha). Clouds are not blue like we see in cartoons, they are a dark grayish shade so Vishnu, Rama, and Krishna should be portrayed in that color if anything.

That's why I prefer seeing Vishnu's avatars fair like serials show than seeing them blue. Blue makes them look very unnatural and slightly cartoonish.😳 Fair at least makes them look like natural humans.
VishaD. thumbnail
I been waiting for your take Janaki because i know that you are the dictionary when it comes to Mythological stories πŸ˜†

Did the movie showed the ending of Sita ma going back to the earth?
RamKiSeeta thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 8 Thumbnail + 6
This content was originally posted by: Visha_Dhami

I been waiting for your take Janaki because i know that you are the dictionary when it comes to Mythological stories πŸ˜†

Did the movie showed the ending of Sita ma going back to the earth?

Aww, thanks Visha but I'm not that great. I learn from others here.😳😳

To be honest, I don't know.☺️ I couldn't watch further after Luv Kush sang at Ayodhya and returned to Valmiki's ashram with a heavy heart. Nayantara's acting was so overdone in that scene when she asks them what went wrong, that I couldn't watch anymore.😳 But I would think they would show that scene since it's the only way to end Uttarkand? How can they show Sri Rama Rajyam without Sita's bhumi pravesh?😲
Vibhishna thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail
This content was originally posted by: Visha_Dhami

Wow, they even have it in Tamil? I have not watched it. How was Nayantara's potrayal as Sita? And was Ram really blue color as per the books?

Yes, watched it in Sun TV today.

Nayantara was fine, I should say. In the beginning I was skeptical too but she did OK. In fact, this film had won the award for 'Best Actress', if I remember right.

Ram was shown blue in the movie but as per the original books, his colour is black. There are so many descriptions of him being the colour of rain clouds but

The thing with these movies is that they are more of a drama than a movie or real portrayal. I do agree with Janaki, it was a remake of the old Lava Kusa. I have grown up with Sampoorna Ramayan and Lava Kusa, but I enjoyed this movie too. The sets were grand and I like the effects.

I loved the guys who played Lava, Kusa, Balaguru (Hanuman as a child) and the guy who played Ram as a kid. These kids were so damn cute and the songs were truly mesmerising. Its been ages since I saw something proper that gave me the feel of South Indian literature and this movie gave me exactly that.

This movie got the awards for lyrics too, I think.

I liked the bits when they show the characters dreaming about what they want to happen.

What I didn't like about the movie was the ending - they made a HUGE MESS. The story was going on well and they rushed it in the end and finished it in a hurry. As Janaki had said, Ram's emotions were too stiff in the climax. He was good in the beginning and fine till Sita decided to leave the Earth. (Yes, they show Sita going into the Earth). I liked the effects for Bhuma Devi, though. 

The movie ends with Ram crowning his sons king and leaving the Earth to reach Vaikuntham, where we get a darshan of Sri Vishnu with Devi Lakshmi by His side.
Edited by Vibhishna - 11 years ago
varaali thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 2
I too saw the Tamil version yesterday and even I felt the lead actors overacted ; the blue colour of Rama was a huge put off; Nayantara was OK .The only good thing was the 'South Indian' feel to ti- which I have not experienced in a long time.

But because it seemed to be a total copy of 'Lava Kusha' there was nothing new.

SahasranamaM thumbnail
Oh..!! So they shown the Tamil version?
Hopefully they will telecast the Mal version soon. It was released only during the July, Ramayana Maasam in Kerala.
But what's the use.!! When I don't have any facilities for watching TV here..! As Varaali said, getting a South Indian touch to the epics is something that really makes us happier.

In fact Nayantara was so fascinated and empathetic towards Sita (which was her last film before she had plans to marry actor Prabhudeva) that she was living as pure vegetarian throughout the days of shoot and led a too simple and humble life. Even some media claimed that she declared she won't act hereafter since she has done the best role ever in her life. (Though it might have been because she is going to marry, now everything changed. She is no more with Prabhudeva and has resumed acting in mass-masala films again).
Edited by SahasranamaM - 11 years ago