Pakistani Serials

Review: Bilqees Kaur HUM TV full drama review

chaha_khan thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail
Posted: 11 years ago

The first few promos of Bilquees Kaur were interesting. There are no two opinions on that. However, the first few episodes seemed to be a letdown to me. To know how the serial overall fared in my opinion, continue reading this review.

Bilquees Kaur is the story of Bilquees (Bushra Ansari) who resides in the US with her two sons, and is in the habit of calling shots. On a trip to Pakistan, her youngersong Sultan (Ahsan Khan) falls in love with Soha (Syra Yusuf), and the two get married. From here, the story picks up as Soha stands face-to-face with Bilquees on every wrong decision she takes. Now, at the Bilquees House, there is someone to stand up and challenge Bilquees, who considers herself the lord, as she is the breadwinner for the house.

I have to give it to the writer (Faiza Iftikhaar) for the brilliant story and amazingsetting. We have seen this good and bad war a hundred times, but never with this setting that packs in a pinch of salt and a dash of sugar. There are witty one-liners, taunting sentences, and blossoming romance that is fitted into the narrative in the most beautiful way possible. Honestly, Bilquees Kaur has the best screenplay I have seen in recent times. Good going, Faiza.

However, it wouldn't be complete without me mentioning that the 'over'use of Punjabi tricked a few people off, including me, initially. This is exactly why many people tuned out of the show after the first few episodes, as they were Punjabi heavy, and the serial gave that feel. They could've trimmed this thing down, as it would've added more to the show. I understand that it was required to show the setting; however, there is still no need for more than half the dialogues uttered by certain characters to be in Punjabi.

Moving on, I have praised the screenplay already. The script holds on its own, mainly due to the amazing characterization. The characters of Soha and Bilquees are so brilliantly written that you just fall in love with both of them, and wait for the clash to happen. Their interactions are also believable and never go over-the-top. You might hate Soha for cribbing all the time, but then it is a part of the character. I liked how no character in this serial was "too good". All of them are very real and likeable.

The dialogues are good and flow well. The editing is perfect, and the serial picks up at the right time. A lot of credit goes to the director (Adnan Ahmed) too for maintaining the flow and extracting great performances out of everyone. The director knows his job well!

Now, to the acting part. Bushra Ansari deserves accolades for her performance as the arrogant, torn, and confused Bilquees. She is exceptional in all the scenes, and shows multiple emotions brilliantly. What else would you expect from such a seasoned performer? A brilliant performance where she never over or underplays the role.

Syra Yusuf is still growing as an actress, which is a good thing. She gets a great role and gives a sincere performance. Of course, there is a scope for improvement, but looking at the graph ' the girl is surely going ahead well.

Ahsan Khan is a total bore. He doesn't deserve to be written more about here, until he does a Sami Khan and tries new roles. Sorry, Ahsan! Sadia Imam is a pleasure to watch in this one. It has been long since I last enjoyed her performance, and here with a straight-from-heart performance she leaves you impressed. It's not Sadia it is the character she plays that you watch onscreen. She proves why she once was the numero uno actress.

There are various other actors who all play their part well. Strong acting has to be one of the best things about this serial that packs in all. There are twists and turns, moments you enjoy and loathe, and drama.

Overall, Bilquees Kaur is a surprise package. It couldn't get the right TRPs (mainly cause people tuning out in the initial episode due to the Punjabi flavor. HUM (an urban channel) is hugely watched in Karachi where Punjabi isn't spoken that fluently). However, if you have time then you should watch it. The show takes time to grow, but once it picks up, you'll be hooked!

Ratings:

Edited by chaha_khan - 11 years ago