Zoe28 thumbnail
Posted: 11 years ago
Hey to all the lovely forum members. I'm due to have a very important meeting with my future inlaws (fingers crossed) and im just so nervous as to how it will go as I really want to impress them. I'm normally appealing to aunties as i can be very chatty when im in good company. however with my future mother in law i dont want to come across as too talkative or as too quiet on the first meeting. in terms of their wishes for a future daughter inlaw i hope i meet their wishes , me and my future fiance are both well educated, cultured, family orientated, loving and have similiar personalities. i just really want some advice on what to talk to the inlaws about and how i can come across as confident and impress them in the first meeting. i really want things to go well as me and my partner are very much in love and i want us to get married without any obstacles and want to have a good relationship with his parents as i would be living with them intially after the marriage. 

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

tulipbaby53 thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 2
Well, first of all, wear Indian clothes. It looks nice and respectful, and when you meet them, say, "Namaste, Aunty/ Uncle!" I don't know if you live in India or not, but I don't and generally Aunties and Uncles get impressed seeing Indian girls wearing Indian clothes and saying Namaste. Also, they appreciate you talking in Hindi too, but if you do not know it, don't stress out about it. You don't want to come off as someone you're not. The most important thing for you to do is be yourself. Be kind and respectful, but do not sacrifice yourself. If your nature naturally is a little on the bubbly and talkative side, then that is okay. Do that. If they are human beings, then they should not have a problem with that. 😆

Oh another thing I know Indian Aunties like is if you ask them if they want any help with anything. Most times they will say no, but if I see them in the kitchen, then I will go in there and kind of see what they need help with. Sometimes going there makes them feel more comfortable asking you for help. 

Overall though, don't stress about it. They will accept you as you are, and don't change yourself to please them.
Zoe28 thumbnail
Thank you for all the advice however the big problem now is that he has spoken to his family and they are not agreeing to meet me simply because I am not Rajput like themselves. The boy is fighting hard but they dont want to know. I am really upset on the issue as muslims should not believe in the castes system as is is not permitted to marry based on caste
Jugnu_244 thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail Networker 2 Thumbnail
Originally posted by: Zoe28

Thank you for all the advice however the big problem now is that he has spoken to his family and they are not agreeing to meet me simply because I am not Rajput like themselves. The boy is fighting hard but they dont want to know. I am really upset on the issue as muslims should not believe in the castes system as is is not permitted to marry based on caste

aww don't feel upset! they'll agree INSHALLAH😉
tulipbaby53 thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 2
Originally posted by: Zoe28

Oh, that's awful!! Even in India this is supposed to be illegal, but people still practice this. I hope by God's grace they will realize they're letting a great girl get away because of their closed-mindedness. 
Zoe28 thumbnail
aww thank u jugnu abd tulip baby. i hope so inshallah, its so hard when peoples families behave like this . castes do not matter whatsoever. a person should be judged on how they are and their character not on where there ancestors belonged to or did.
dreamer_dreams thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail
i wish you all the best
hope everything works out for you
and when you meet them
just smile sweetly and everything will be fine :)