Reason behind women wearing sindoor

•  
  • Page of 1 Go
  •  
Posted: 11 years ago
well...during my earlier visits to the forum i have read many posts based on social issues n various problems in india...i got to know something recently which is very much a part of our culture n tradition n i was shocked hearing it😲

well...in old times and even now married women in india are supposed to wear sindoor as it has many significances...but i came to know the real reason why sindoor is worn...it is made up of iron (ferric or ferrous im nt sure ) oxide which is a slow poison...n the maang or the place where it is actually applied is the most sensitive part of our brain...so it is worn so that over a period it seeps into the brides brain n poisons it so that the bride  dies before her hubby

edit
well as one of th forum members shared that nowadays it is made up of diff natural substances which are nt harmful but at the same time as per what i heard the original reason why women were supposed to wear  still was this only...n ya may be it doesnt seep into the brain bec of the diff protective layers but it was a slow poision n did effect our brain...well im glad that this has been changed n the modern sindoor is nt made of poisnous stuff

ps:this was told to me by my friend n then i checked about it on the net n found that it was true...but even then if any body knows any other fact or if they know some other reason n this reason is incorrect pls do share
pss:please do not take any offence...im not critisisng any particular culture, i just came across a fact n thought of sharing it since i found it very relevant

Edited by tanya94 - 11 years ago
Traditional sindoor was made with turmeric and alum or lime, or from other herbal ingredients.
So traditionally it was not ment to kill the brides πŸ˜›
The modern sindoor or vermilion  is the purified and powdered form of cinnabar, which is mercury sulfide
Lead is also added in it...its toxic and might cause skin prob but I have never heard of it seeping in the brain.
Our brain is protected by layers of skin,skull and fat So its impossible for something to "Seep" in the brain.If tht was the case then eventually our brain should get filled with water after every head bath πŸ˜†πŸ˜†

There's nothing wrong in applying sindoor provided its herbal based...this mercuric sulfide sindoor is modern invention and has recently become popular.

Edited by nniks - 11 years ago
Originally posted by nniks

Traditional sindoor was made with turmeric and alum or lime, or from other herbal ingredients.
So traditionally it was not ment to kill the brides πŸ˜›
The modern sindoor or vermilion  is the purified and powdered form of cinnabar, which is mercury sulfide
Lead is also added in it...its toxic and might cause skin prob but I have never heard of it seeping in the brain.
Our brain is protected by layers of skin,skull and fat So its impossible for something to "Seep" in the brain.If tht was the case then eventually our brain should get filled with water after every head bath πŸ˜†πŸ˜†

There's nothing wrong in applying sindoor provided its herbal based...this mercuric sulfide sindoor is modern invention and has recently become popular.

well i reconfirmed it online n found that what u r saying is true but at the same time the original reason for wearing it decades ago was still this only...however with time stuff changed n it was made of diff natural substances which were not poisnous
and as far as how the poison effects the brain..maybe i used the wrong terminology..it may nt seep into the brain but it definetly does effect that part (which is the most senssitive part of the brain)
Sindoor is just a mark to distinguish between a married and unmarried women thts all...
All cultures have some sort of marks like mangalsutra,toe rings etc.
Even in medival europe...married women were required to wear scarves and and hats.
Ancient harappa culture also has women figurines wearing sindoor.
Do u think they had mercury sulfide sindoor 5000 years back ??
 Even if the purpose was to kill the bride I dosent seem to work...coz mostly women outlive men πŸ˜†
Its become of  part of our culture.I am not supporting wearing sindoor...its a personal choice wear it if u like it.
I have never heard or come across any example where sindoor is used to poison brains.
As I said before...
Original sindoor were herbal not chemical...they were always herbal based...mercury sulfide sindoor is new invention...it was introduced after british came to India.

Just like synthetic clothes became popular because they were cheap...similarly chemical sindoor became popular becaue they were cheaper.
If one is using herbal sindoor it wont harm the person in any way.
chemical sinddors can cause skin prob and they can be poisoneous if mixed into blood stream.

Edited by nniks - 11 years ago
oh my..!! really..?? cn't blv it..!! :O