Debate Mansion

Everybody’s Aunty&Uncle - Page 2

syrene thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail
Posted: 17 years ago

Moderator's Note:

As it is an Interesting topic, we have decided to make it a Global Topic for a Day. Pour in all your thoughts.

Its Discussion of the Day - June 21 2006.

Thanks

India-Forums Development Team

Why is it that for Indians the minute a person gets married he or she sort of becomes an "Auntie" or an "Uncle" to the single populace in general? 🤔 I want everyones opinion coz theres been quite a bit of "Auntying" and "Uncling" going on here in IF too... 😉

Edited by Ms. Bholi Bhali - 17 years ago

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Mashal thumbnail
after marriage ,after children may be charm of couple dont remain same as before marriage 😆
MNMS thumbnail
Ha ha 😆...Pooh! U are trying to catch all the pesky teenz out here....right!!!😆😆😆.
BTW It is not just Indians... but an over-all south asian epidemic😆😆... This whole aunting uncling thingy😛😉is like an unspoken rule in societies and these titles are awarded to those married couples for the purpose to let them realize that they are "No more eligible for flirting"!!!😆

OK .. seriously .. despite being a Little teen im a victim of this "Aunt" title...unfortunately! 😔 ..All my siblings and cousins are married and i am the "Aunt" of all of their children😕... I ask u.. IS this FAIR to a little teen like me..😳😔😭???????

And yeah... i have the habit of converting all the "Bhai-loge age group married people" as UNCLES!!😆😆😆...Call me evil.. but here is one incident.. i have a family friend here who is 30+ and has 3 small children.. so instead of calling him Bhai.. i called him "Uncle" and his face went 😳.... So my mom backed up as "Bhai aur Uncle ..aik hi to baat hui naa" ....😆...but his wife was also going to be like😕 but i immediately called her "Baji" (Di).. I have this rule in my life: All the bhai-loge are Uncles and their wives are Sure DIs....

I think i have given out a clue😉!!!
prettyguria thumbnail
Hmmm its not necessary, but shows respect towards another, but also depends on age, like if your friends sis is 22 and just married and you are 17, then no aunty 😆 But you can call them apa. But Aunties and Uncles aren't really used till they have a child of their own, but I guess we use aunty and uncle for respect. 😊
~LiL*PrInCeZ~ thumbnail
my rule....u r over 30 and u r my uncle/aunty (with the exception of aparna di who is forever young 😉 )
Aparna_BD thumbnail
Over 30 Jav ?? 😕

Well its dumb kids who think every married person is a fossil!! 😡

But let me tell you , actually very very few people call me Aunty. Not even my friends kids!!! They all call me by my name . Its maybe coz i look and behave as young as them.😳

Whats even worse ! Now i have several friends through my neighbourhood and through the Indian association. Some of these ladies are in their late 40's and early 50's. I call them "xyz di" out of respect or their names. But when they meet my mom they call her "Aunty"!! .She is barely 8- 10 years older to them!! 😕 This bugs my mom so badly!! 😆 Now thats a bad one!! Edited by Aparna_BD - 17 years ago
Swar_Raj thumbnail
Hmmmmmmmm..I was a Auntie when I was 12 years old. So auntie is a very common world for me. by the time I was 15 I had a Bahu 😆
But realistically i never took it as offence. I used to take it as a pride to tell my class fellows. Specially when the Bahu had child..i was dadi 😆 😆 😆

No I am married so have lot of realtions...like bhahi (most beautiful) didi (Very cute) have jethani, devrani too now.
But among all i always felt that friends have a special bond which is true here. We do not even meet each other but share our joys and sorrow on net and have a great virtual family. So a family where we seek friends...attaching any other relation then friends..i felt was little awkward. But if it satisfy's anyone then i am all for it...call me granny 😆 😆

And yes to all elders here i also had problem to call them di or auntie ,
In school....generally you think College is big deal...if you do college,, you are really big and married and kids means..you are old (Was my thinking atleast) but as you cross school then college and get married..you inside do not get a feeling of getting old although kids going to school do seem little kids. SO i guess may be that is the reason. Any way giving respect is one thing and being sarcastic is another.
As long as you have due respect for your elders and love for young ones.......that is all matter

2 cents from your AUNTIE 😆 😆 😆
syrene thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail
hey, i'm not talking about people who are infact your niece or newphew...

Its like this..I got married when I was 21 and my Hubby was 25. Yet people who were our age or even in some very hilarious cases actually older but single would most sweetly refer to us as "Aunty" and "Uncle"!!!!!
~LiL*PrInCeZ~ thumbnail
haha swar ji dadi at a young age 😆 😆 😆

ok yea i guess since we are young, older ppl seem old 2 us 😆 😆 😆 ..actually...itz not really age...like aparna di i call her aunty only wen i wanna bother her 😆 ...i dont consider her an aunty cuz shes my frend/di and shes 2 kewl 2 b an aunty and i honestly mean it.

lolz the 30 part was jus 2 c aparna di's reaction 😆

of course i call my aunts and uncles aunts and uncles regardless of their age...my mom's youngest brother is in his 20s and he is closer in age 2 me thn my mom...but i call him mammu anyway cuz he is my mammu...even tho i treat him like a frend and not an uncle there r some relationships where the relationship comes b4 the age (like maryam huz still in her teenz being a khala 2 a teen or swar ji being made an aunty wen shes only 12). but 4 other ppl...like the gazillion uncles and aunties us sout asian kids get hu we dont even know or we met 4 the 1st time 😆 😆 well if they r my parent's frends i call them uncle or aunty no matter wat thier age is...jus cuz they are mt parent's frends i see them at tht level. and for others well it depends on how old they are....and sometimes im like maryam and i call the guys uncle and thier wife baji/di/appi 😆 😆
~LiL*PrInCeZ~ thumbnail

This content was originally posted by: winnie_pooh

hey, i'm not talking about people who are infact your niece or newphew...

Its like this..I got married when I was 21 and my Hubby was 25. Yet people who were our age or even in some very hilarious cases actually older but single would most sweetly refer to us as "Aunty" and "Uncle"!!!!!

lol winnie pooh...thtz funny...yea it happens sometimes....like my mom...ppl her age or sometimes older call her baji jus cuz she has a 16 year old daughter😆..my mom is in her mid-lateish 30s but ppl assume tht jus cuz her daughter is kinda grown up she is old😆😆