POV: Ram's Priya - the essence of BALH

Posted: 11 years ago

This is my first time starting a topic, so kindly bear with me if it doesn't appear well knit.

Priya & Ram - much has been written about them. I have silently read many FFs and OSs. Want to put together my thoughts on this beautiful relationship.

For me, Priya breaching the wall Ram built around himself and entering his inner space, the Antaranga (literally translates to inner arena in Sanskrit) is the essence of BALH. Ram, who is never known to be comfortable with women is always comfortable with Priya. Right from car accident, he never was hesitant while talking to her or facing her. Another matter that he didn't like her at that time but never was uncomfortable or shy with her around. Due to her simplicity, no-nonsense, down-to-earth approach. 

Ram starts laughing at himself and laughing more in general at Priya's digs when she says things like they are abnormal or ajeeb. No one except Neha and Vikram have tried making fun of him but she does it within few weeks of knowing each other. Her quick wit and retorts breached the cordon further.

Ram and Priya going about their marriage is another beautiful example. They don't have feelings for each other but subconsciously admire and respect each other. The way Ram trusts Priya in all the pre-wedding incidents, the way he calls her for directions to wedding hall and most of all the way she comes to stand outside so he can notice the place - this was two souls working for each other out of respect, trying to make it happen for each other - for me this was the most endearing part. Gives me tears when I think of that scene when Priya stands outside for Ram in her bridal attire and when Ram says atleast he reached early. 

Priya going all out to set right anything she believes is wrong. When the necklace fiasco is solved, she makes the moment lighter by taking a dig at him that he made this happen by snoring and driving her out. Never wants to take credit for that, atleast never gives an indication to Ram that she needs this. Another cordon breached.

The karwa chauth incident - the way she feels bad seeing other couples doing the rituals, her faith in the ritual and Ram's repentance. In all this, I can't help remembering the blooper. Karwa Chauth is the 4th day of dark fornight - Moon is not full on 4th day. Another one breached and trust won.

Her quick acceptance of the fact that she has to move on and strengthen the relationship, enjoying honeymoon with no inhibitions and making him feel more comfortable with her in this process. She is quick on her feet, ready to learn from Krishuji in identifying love, fearless in going to her house even after Ram saying not to. Ready to fall into his arms when asked to leave. Cares for Ram like a mother, talks to him like a dear friend, confesses her love boldly. Her basking in the newly found love was beautifully shown in the morning after scene, when Mr. Grumpy Ram Kapoor is still trying to come to terms with the awkwardness and she was smiling away and soaking every moment of the experience. Once you take a step in love, you never look back. Thats Priya. Tells Neha unequivocally that she is so lucky to have Ram.

The list can go on. I cannot buy the fact that most heriones on soaps are like this. Strong, epitomes of virtue, ready to sacrifice at the drop of a hat as I have not watched any. For me, the added bonus in Priya is that quirky smile and her tag line - "Trust me Mr. Kapoor!" She did go overboard in revealing NK's truth to him, but she was proved correct in the end as he didn't trust her. 

Sad that she found the wrong reasons to leave Ram and did it so quickly. Made a big mistake and thinks she is sacrificing for her love. And Ram, the dynamic one was reduced to just pining for her for the last month. I would say both characters have taken a beating. But I would still listen to Priya and trust her to win her Ram back - all over again.

And hope she keeps thinking out loud. That's how she carried the viewers along in season 1 (in my opinion). That trait of hers has made Ram think out loud for us. 

great post man!!๐Ÿ‘ ๐Ÿ‘ ๐Ÿ‘

I got a flashback of old golden days of BALH.. hahaha.. I loved Ram's character and also admired Priya a lot, but the way they got separated makes me really sad. 

I am almost in tears๐Ÿ˜ญ ,having read your post.What a wonderful story it was.!!! Wonder whether  BALH -2 will be the the same??????
Originally posted by PKBAAA

I am almost in tears๐Ÿ˜ญ ,having read your post.What a wonderful story it was.!!! Wonder whether  BALH -2 will be the the same??????
it wont be totally the same Balh...coz the essence of the char has been butchered.
Luvd it thoroughly...b.d.w. U shud mk posts more often...it has actuly recharged me cmpletely...in a way i frgot d torture i went thru in d last 3 months of d show..thnx a ton... i smwhere very strongly hope n believe dat BALH vud b bk wid its same magic...amen...
Santhi

Fantastic post dear!! The magic of BALH and those memories!! Unfortunately, Iam not feeling the magic in season2 at this pace. Hope to see it changing as the show progresses to make the characters human!
It's a beautiful post dear... Hats off... But whether the magic returns in season 2 is something unbelievable right now...
ur postwas a flashback of raya happy and beautiful moments ๐Ÿ‘