Posted: 17 years ago
thanks for the articles . i relly like yaali
Posted: 16 years ago
Zubeen gifted singer: Ismail Darbar
By Our Correspondent

GUWAHATI, Oct 26 – Rating Ya Ali sensation Zubeen Garg and winner of Zee TV's Sa Re Ga Ma Pa Challenge 2005 winner Debojit Saha as two of the better singers in the Indian music industry, noted music composer Ismail Darbar today said both the singers from Assam, have the mantle to make big in the world of music. While describing Zubeen as a god-gifted singer, the noted music director went on to say that it is his dream to see Debojit amongst the top singers and he will do everything possible to materialise his dream, whenever the opportunity comes.

Talking about Zubeen, the undisputable king of Assamese music industry, Ismail said," Zubeen comes across as a fakir, who seldom looks at things with a professional perspective. He sings when he wants to sing and that is what makes him an unique singer."

"His style of singing especially his Sufi rendition stands him apart from other Bollywood singers," he said.

It may be mentioned here that Zubeen sang two classical numbers in Ismail Darbar's maiden private music album titled Rashiya Saajan, which hit the market couple of months back.

"When I asked him to sing these songs for my album, which also included the title number, he candidly said that he has never sang such classical number before but later when he finally lent his voice, it turned out to be flawless. The title song was a difficult one but he sang it with ease," revealed Ismail who was addressing a media gathering here. Ismail was here to inaugurate the 8th International Expo, which is being organised at the Assam Engineering Institute Field.

Asked as to why, Debojit Saha, in spite of turning into a rage in the Indian music industry after winning the reality show title in the year 2005, is yet to bag any major break in the film industry, he said, " I was one of those few people who had faith in his singing talent and it was only after I insisted personally that he was allowed to make it amongst the top 40 contestants in that show. My other colleagues never liked his tonal quality, which was evident during the show from time to time. I still have faith on his voice and I will soon prove his worth in the music industry".

"The reason I did not make him sing for my private album was not that I forgot my promises but as Debojit has entered into a two-year contract with Zee TV, he is not supposed to any music album until the maturity of the deal," he explained.

"Yes, I can make him sing for any of my films but in the last couple of years, I have not composed music for any movie," he stated.

"When the time comes, I will make him sing for me," he added.

Meanwhile, Ismail also expressed his desire to organise a live programme in symphony style at Guwahati in the near future.

On his latest tryst with controversy revolving around Zee TV latest edition of the reality show, Ismail said, " What happened was very unfortunate and I will never work with Zee TV again".

Source:http://www.assamtribune.com/scripts/details.asp?id=oct2707/a t010
For the sound of music
Singer-composer Zubeen Garg on his latest album and films

TO A DIFFERENT BEAT Zubeen lives life to the fullest
His eyes are bloodshot red, he looks tired as well. But the moment you pronounce the word 'music', composer-singer Zubeen Garg is back in his element. "Oh, I haven't slept a bit. I was awake till 4 a.m., as I was working and rushed directly to the airport to catch my flight from Guwahati. Yesterday alone, I sang 15 songs. You know, this is the peak season in Assam and the folk culture just comes alive. Twenty-eight songs in a day has been my record so far. At this rate, I will surely make it to the Guinness Book of World Records," says the musician from Assam, who's settled in Mumbai now.

Over the years, Zubeen has worked with most of the 250 Assam tribes to develop their music and bring it to the mainstream.

New album

Promoting his latest album, Zindagi, Zubeen is ecstatic about the way his career has shaped up. His debut pop album, he says, is very poetic and brings together the various colours of life. "It has no garam and masala pieces. I have collaborated with my friend Alaap for this album. Zindagi has a mix of Indian and Western music. There's my favourite Sufi and Assamese folk music as well. Plus, it includes a couple of remixes," he elucidates. The album also has Shafqat Ali Khan from Pakistan and well-known South Indian singer Chitra lending their voices.

"Ya Ali" brought him under the spotlight. But after composing music for 24 Assamese films, besides a few Bengali movies, and over 40 albums to his name, Zubeen is still mistaken to be a newcomer by many. "That's how it is in Mumbai – one hit and you are everywhere. But people in the industry don't treat me like that as I have been around for a decade now. In Assam, everyone knows me," says the 35-year-old, who sang in films like Fiza, Kaante, Pyaar Ke Side Effects, Jhoom Barabar Jhoom and Victoria No. 203.

For now, he is singing for two to three films every week, which includes Drona and a few others for music director Pritam and Viju Shah. But all his attention, he says, is on albums currently. "I have a Bengali album, which will release next month. Parkeeza is my solo album with a lot of North-Eastern elements in it. It's completely done by me – the music, the videos and the production. I am also working on another album, which will be a tribute to S.D. Burman. I will take his folk songs and do them up in lounge style," he says.

Filmmaking is another passion he nurtures. After his first Assamese film, Tumi Mur Mathu Mur which he wrote, directed and acted in, he is working on his first Hindi film script.

"Actually I have five ideas in mind but I am scripting only one. It's a dark movie but a political thriller. It's going to be high budgeted and I would want Saif to do it but I need good money for that," sums up the singer who is now seen in the reality music show on SaharaOne, Jjhoom India.

MANGALA RAMAMOORTHY

http://www.hindu.com/mp/2007/11/03/stories/2007110351381400. htm

Zubin Garg, of Ya Ali fame, makes his Bollywood debut with the film Chakra, which he's also directing.

Back in his homeground, Assam, the 35-year-old is as loved as Assamese tea. He's been on the music scene in Mum bai for over a decade now.. and has made an impact, slowly but surely. His repertoire of unforgettable numbers include Mere watan(Fiza), Jaane kya (Pyaar ke Side Effects) and Ek din (Naqaab).

Talk is that he might now even do a Sonu Nigam (or should that be Himesh Reshammiya?) on us. Besides singing, he may act in a film titled Chakra.. which he is scripting and directing. That's why I trot over to his Andheri home-cum-studio to ask:

Have you just moved in here?
Not really. Actually I live out of a suitcase, I'm constantly travelling for shows and song recordings. If I'm not on the move, I take off on a 10-day trip to Guwahati every month.

What's been the response to your album Zindagi?
It hit the market just three or four days ago. It's been promoted as my album but it's a mix actually. I've sung five of the nine songs. The others are by Chitra, Shafaqat Ali Khan. I've to still cut my first private album.

I believe you're working on a film script.
Yes.. Chakra. I will direct and maybe act in it as well. I've written, directed and acted in Assamese films. If all goes well, the shoot of Chakra should begin early next year.

Around 2000, I was being recognised as a singer of potential. Then Ranjit Barot gave me the song Mere watan which got me Jaane hoga Rama re (Kaante). I always had work in Assam there. Are you planning to build luxury hotels in Guwahati?
Yes. I've bought two ships. I'm planning to build ethnic luxury hotels on them. But I will start working on that only in the summer of 2008. I want them to be state of the art. Tourism is on a high in the North-East. I think the hotels will increase the tourist traffic.

That sounds like a plan.. but what about your playback singing work here?
I wouldn't ever let that suffer. Right now, I've sung for Manorama Six Feet Under, Aashayein and another Nagesh Kukunoor film.

I'm launching three albums - highlighting Assamese folk music, a lounge-cum-classical album of SD Burman songs.. and my first private album.. titled Paakezah.

Although you've worked quite often with Pritam, why aren't you a part of his band?
He approached me for a song but I was in Assam. We've been working together for a long time now. We came to Bombay almost simultaneously in 1995-96.. I've worked with him on ad films.

How come Pritam and you haven't delivered another Ya Ali?
Because such songs happen once in 10 years.. sometimes once in a lifetime.. it's a benchmark for us.

How did you first make an impact in Mumbai?
Around 2000, I was being recognised as a singer of potential. Then Ranjit Barot gave me the song Mere watan which got me Jaane hoga Rama re (Kaante). I always had work in Assam there.

I have two recording studios and a film production house there. I have a chain of spas. Unlike other newcomers in the Bombay movies, I was well off.. mercifully.

Lastly, tell me about your family.
My father Mohini Borthakur is a poet and was a magistrate. My mother Ily Borthakur was a singer and actress, so was my sister Protima..she passed away recently. My younger sister Palme is a classical dancer. My wife Garima is a fasion designer. Edited by Qwest - 16 years ago