DOTW: Directors need a good sense of music?

Posted: 11 years ago
Hello SSians !

We love to listen to music, and enjoy the different songs that we hear from each movie album. We sing along with them, dance with them, and even adore watching the songs being picturized on our actors/actresses. 

However, not all songs work out. 

Obviously music directors go through their own hits and flops, but does the responsibility for the songs also fall on a movie's director?

The director of a movie is basically the captain on the ship and it's their duty to make sure that everything is progressing well. So is it also important for them to have a good sense of music or at least concern for the music department in order to pull out the best work from their music directors? 
Edited by supercool3 - 11 years ago
I think that directors should show concern towards the songs in their films and also have a good sense in music. Personally I feel that if a director and a music director sit down and work through all the songs together, it would actually bring out some really good music. 

In this age, songs for upcoming movies reach out to the audience fast through online media. So I think some of the flops only happen due to the music in films not being given the importance it deserves. 

Obviously it's a different story when a musician is working on their own album, but as part of a film there is a need for a good collaboration and understanding.
Edited by supercool3 - 11 years ago
I will give my opinion...

If a song doesn't impress the audience they should blame not only the music director they should also blame the director.. Because Music director give some tunes but the director is the one who fix the final tune... So the director taste is very imporant he have to have good sense of music... All of them having good sense of music in my opinion so the director also have good sense of music.. For example if we like a song means that song impress us a lot thats why why we like the song in that case we all are having good sense of music...

So he director have to torture the music director to give mindblowing tunes to the audience  😆 director should not okay the tune in the first take they should select the song after many choices only 😆
Originally posted by Ravi.

I will give my opinion...

If a song doesn't impress the audience they should blame not only the music director they should also blame the director.. Because Music director give some tunes but the director is the one who fix the final tune... So the director taste is very imporant he have to have good sense of music... All of them having good sense of music in my opinion so the director also have good sense of music.. For example if we like a song means that song impress us a lot thats why why we like the song in that case we all are having good sense of music...

So he director have to torture the music director to give mindblowing tunes to the audience  😆 director should not okay the tune in the first take they should select the song after many choices only 😆
Don't you think torture sounds a bit too much ? 😆 Music should be created with a free mind 😆 But yes, a director shouldn't okay a tune on its first take. They should listen to different takes before choosing the potential tunes and progressing with the best one 
Originally posted by supercool3

Don't you think torture sounds a bit too much ? 😆 Music should be created with a free mind 😆 But yes, a director shouldn't okay a tune on its first take. They should listen to different takes before choosing the potential tunes and progressing with the best one 

jillu nee enna thappa purinchukitta torture na apdi illai anba ithu ennaku pidikala vera apdi sollurathu kooda torture thaan anba 😆😆😆 nalla song edukanom na music director oda nalla sync la irukanom so evlo tune um kekakalam music director kitta athu kooda en bahsai la torture thaan naan atha free mind nu solla mattan 😆😆
Originally posted by Ravi.

jillu nee enna thappa purinchukitta torture na apdi illai anba ithu ennaku pidikala vera apdi sollurathu kooda torture thaan anba 😆😆😆 nalla song edukanom na music director oda nalla sync la irukanom so evlo tune um kekakalam music director kitta athu kooda en bahsai la torture thaan naan atha free mind nu solla mattan 😆😆
Okay okay puriyuthu 😆 But yes, directors should be able to express their thoughts about each tune too ... their should be an understanding between a director and the music director 

Okay okay puriyuthu 😆 But yes, directors should be able to express their thoughts about each tune too ... their should be an understanding between a director and the music director 

understing of the understandiing then of the understanding we can get good music 😆😆😆
hello jillu..🤗
nice topic..👍🏼
this is my view..😆
Output of getting good music(with meaning n good sense to hear)depends on director taste too..
Music director may compose song..if direct didnt notice what going on in his work..may be we get flop song..need to see director observation,his good sense in music,taste will give great compose to music director..output will be Good.
Originally posted by Hi_Friends

hello jillu..🤗
nice topic..👍🏼
this is my view..😆
Output of getting good music(with meaning n good sense to hear)depends on director taste too..
Music director may compose song..if direct didnt notice what going on in his work..may be we get flop song..need to see director observation,his good sense in music,taste will give great compose to music director..output will be Good.
Heyyy 🤗
Yup, I agree. A director should give his inputs to the music director and then something better can be worked out. And especially these days there should be an extra focus on the music from the film's director as songs are also being used for publicity purposes too. 

Heyyy 🤗
Yup, I agree. A director should give his inputs to the music director and then something better can be worked out. And especially these days there should be an extra focus on the music from the film's director as songs are also being used for publicity purposes too. 
yeah..for promoting any movie frst.they wil promote songs ly..even if the movie is not goin well or nt..but songs are good enough sure tht movie wil survive fr sometimes..