Mythological Masti

Bhagavat Gita Mahatmiyam

varaali thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 2
Posted: 11 years ago
Most of us would have read the Bhagavat Gita, partially if not fully; translations if not the original. And those of us who have read it and tried to understand its philosophy will agree that it tends to have an enormous impact. 

So my question to all of you is  If you were choose the top 3 slokas (according to you) what would they be? You can quote your favourite 3 slokas- the ones which you feel like repeatedly reading, or the ones which you feel contain the essence of Bhagavat  Gita.  

And since the Bhagavat Gita reveals itself to us in different ways, we can hope to see different answers here.
Edited by varaali - 11 years ago

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

varaali thumbnail
I will begin with what I consider to be the ultimate sloka in Bhagavat Gita. In my opinion, this pretty much sums up the entire philosophy 
This is the 12 sloka from the 12 chapter "Bhakti Yoga"

sreyo hi jnanam abhyasaj 

jnanad dhyanam visisyate 

dhyanat karma-phala-tyagas 

tyagac chantir anantaram

Engage yourself in the cultivation of knowledge. Better than knowledge, however, is meditation, and better than meditation is renunciation of the fruits of action, for by such renunciation one can attain peace of mind.

ShivangBuch thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail Networker 1 Thumbnail
Lovely Varaali!!!!⭐️

Par ye kya?? Just 3 verses to choose??!!!!😭 That's impossible task for me. There will be many many equally best number 1 tied for me.😆😃😉

And where are your other 2...?

Chalo I gather my 100 best verses from different Adhyays (1/7th i.e. 15% of entire Bhagwad Geeta). Then only it may be possible to short list later the top one and the top 3 if at all possible. Those in bold are likely to be short listed. And further verses may still be added in the list which may have been left out.

1. 02.13 Dehinosmin yatha dehe...
  2. 02.14 Matrasparshastu Kaunteya...
  3. 02.22 Vasansi Jirnani...
  4. 02.27 Jatasya hi dhruvo mrityu...
  5. 02.37 Hato va prapsyasi swarga...
  6. 02.38 Sukhdukhe same krutva...
  7. 02.47 Karmanyevadhikarste...
  8. 02.50 Buddhiyukto jahateeh...
  9. 02.55 Prajahati yada kaaman...
  10. 02.58 Yada sanharate chaayam...
  11. 02.60 Yatato api Kaunteya...
  12. 02.62 Dhyayato vishayanpunsah...
  13. 02.63 Krodhad bhavati sammoha...
  14. 02.69 Ya nisha sarva bhootanam...
  15. 03.05 Na hi kashchit kshanam api...
  16. 03.06 Karmendriyani sayamya...
  17. 03.08 Niyatam kuru karmatvam...
  18. 03.13 Yagnshishtasinah santo...
  19. 03.17 Yastvatmarati eva syat...
  20. 03.18 Naiva tasya krutenartho...
  21. 03.21 Yad yad aacharati shrestha...
  22. 03.22 Na me parthasti kartavyam...
  23. 03.25 Saktah karmanya vidvanso...
  24. 03.26 Na buddhirbhedam janayed...
  25. 03.27 Prakrute kriyamanani...
  26. 03.33 Sadrisham cheshtase swasya...
  27. 04.07 Yada yada hi dharmasya...
  28. 04.08 Paritranay Sadhunam...
  29. 04.34 Tadviddhi pranipaten...
  30. 04.36 Api chedasi papebhyah...
  31. 04.37 Yathaidhansi samiddhogni...
  32. 04.38 Na hi gyanen sadrusham...
  33. 05.04 Sankhyayogau pruthak balah...
  34. 05.10 Brahmanyadhay karmani...
  35. 05.18 Vidhya vinay sampanne...
  36. 05.19 Ihaiv tairjitah sargo...
  37. 06.05 Uddhared atmanatmanam...
  38. 06.06 Bandhuratmatmanastasya...
  39. 06.16 Natyasnatastu yogosti...
  40. 06.17 Yuktahar viharasya...
  41. 06.40 Parth naiveh namutra...
  42. 06.41 Prapya punyakrutam lokan...
  43. 06.42 Athava yoginam ev...
  44. 06.43 Tatra tam buddhi sanyogam...
  45. 06.44 Poorvabhyasen...
  46. 06.45 Prayatnadyatamanastu...
  47. 07.07 Mattah paratarahnanyat...
  48. 07.16 Chaturvidha bhajante mam...
  49. 07.17 Tesham gyani nityayuktah...
  50. 07.18 Udarah sarva evaite...
  51. 07.19 Bahunam janmanamante...
  52. 07.21 Yo yo yam yam...
  53. 07.22 Sa taya shraddhaya...
  54. 08.05 Antakale cha mamev...
  55. 08.06 Yam yam vapi smaran bhavam...
  56. 08.07 Tasmat sarveshu kaleshu...
  57. 08.24 Agni jyoti aha shuklah...
  58. 08.25 Dhumo ratri tatha krushnah...
  59. 09.22 Ananyaschintayanto mam...
  60. 09.23 Yepyanya devata bhaktya...
  61. 09.24 Aham hi sarva yagnanam...
  62. 09.26 Patram pushpam phalam toyam...
  63. 09.29 Samoham sarva bhooteshu...
  64. 09.30 Api chetsu duracharo...
  65. 09.31 Kshipram bhavati dharmatma...
  66. 10.09 Machchitta madgatah prana...
  67. 10.10 Tesham satat yuktanam...
  68. 10.11 Teshamevanukampartham...
  69. 10.41 Yad yad vibhootimat satvam...
  70. 12.08 Maiyeva man aadhastva...
  71. 12.09 Atha chittam samadhatum...
  72. 12.10 Abhyasepi asamarthah asi...
  73. 12.11 Athaitadapya ashaktah asi...
  74. 12.12 Sheryo hi gyanam abhyasat...
  75. 12.15 Yasmannodwijate loko...
  76. 12.16 Tulyaninda stutirmauni...
  77. 13.21 Purushah prakrutisthohi...
  78. 13.22 Upadrashta anumanta cha...
  79. 13.27 Samam sarveshu bhuteshu...
  80. 13.29 Prakrutaiva cha karmani...
  81. 14.09 Satvam sukhe sanjayati...
  82. 14.10 Rajastamas cha abhibhuyah...
  83. 14.18 Urdhvam gachchhanti satvastha...
  84. 15.07 Mamaivansho jeevloke...
  85. 15.08 Shariram yadavapnoti...
  86. 15.14 Aham Vaishwanaro bhutva...
  87. 15.15 Sarvasyachaham hridi sannivishto...
  88. 18.47 Shreyanswadharmo vigunah...
  89. 18.48 Sahajam karm Kaunteya...
  90. 18.57 Chetasa sarva karmani...
  91. 18.58 Mathchittah sarva durgani...
  92. 18.60 Swabhavjen Kaunteya...
  93. 18.61 Ishwarah sarvabhutanam...
  94. 18.62 Tamev sharanam gachchha...
  95. 18.65 Manmana bhav madbhakto...
  96. 18.66 Sarvadharman parityajya...
  97. 18.67 Idam te natapaskay...
  98. 18.68 Ya imam paramam guhyam...
  99. 18.69 Na cha tasman manushyeshu...
  100. 18.78 Yatra Yogeshwarah Krushnah...
Edited by ShivangBuch - 11 years ago
varaali thumbnail
Shivang,

Yeh Kya? Maine teen shlok pooche -  aur aapne poori century mar di 👏 👏 Thank you very much.

Actually my main idea was to start some discussions on Bhagavat Gita.  I know it is almost impossible to narrow down to 3 verses, but at  least shuruvaat to hogi. 

Just give me some time, I will go through your list in detail. Meanwhlile, if you want to start explanation on any verse, please do so.

varaali thumbnail
Let us begin with three crucial slokas (from the first chapter itself) . They are the reason why Lord Krishna had to propound Bhagavat Gita in the first place.

Here are the Slokas (Nos 20, 21 and 22 From Ch 1'Arjuna Vishada Yoga')

atha vyavasthitan drstva dhartarastran kapi-dhvajah 
pravrtte sastra-sampate dhanur udyamya pandavah 
hrsikesam tada vakyam idam aha mahi-pate  (20)

When Arjuna saw the sons of Dritarashtra arrayed against him, he took up his bow, ready to discharge arrows from it and said the following words to Krishna

arjuna uvaca 

senayor ubhayor madhye ratham sthapaya me 'cyuta 
yavad etan nirikse 'ham yoddhu-kaman avasthita 
kair maya saha yoddhavyam asmin rana-samudyame  (21-22)

O Achyuta, place my charriot between the two armies, so that I may carefully observe who are the people I have to fight against.

Crucial words indeed. If Arjuna had not expressed his desire to see the Kaurava warriors more closely, the whole of Bhagavat Gita would probably have not come into existance at all (at this juncture at least). 

As it was, because Arjuna requested, Krishna drove the chariot and placed it right in the middle and asked Arjuna to "Behold the Kauravas assembled here (Patha, Pashyaitan samavetaan Kuruniti...(25)) . Arjuna looked at the Kuru warriors (Bhishma ,Drona,etc)  for what he thought was the last time and broke down. 

Throwing down his Gandhiva, Arjuna slumps in his chariot, overcome by the enormity and the finality of the situation. Krishna now has to assume the mantle of teacher / preceptor and pull this guy out of his depression and make him battle ready once again. Early in childhood, it was Drona who had made Arjuna battle worthy. He had given him training, but that was the skill of archery. Now Krishna has to once again make Arjuna battle ready, by imparting gyan of a different kind.

varaali thumbnail
Observe also the visual picture drawn here. Usually in a battle, it is the Maharathi who stands tall in a chariot -  while the sarathy is seated, ready to take instructions from his master. 

Now, in this case, the scenario is reversed. The maharathi (Arjuna)  is seated dejectedly, while the Sarathi (Krishna) has stood up. Now the sarathy will give instructions- which the maharathi will have to listen to. Because as Krishna knows, at this point in time, he not only has the reins of the chariot in his hand, but the reins of Arjuna's life / career / reputation also. 

Also noteworthy are Arjuna's first and last words in the Bhagavat Gita.  His first words are in the form of an order / request. "Please Krishna, would you be good enough to place the chariot somewhere in the middle?"  After all, he is the warrior and has every right to give instructions to his sarathy as to where he wants the vehicle to go. 

Except that this is no ordinary Sarathy. What Arjuna has still not realized is that the reason Krishna agreed to be his charioteer, was to be able to steer him in the right direction. And if Arjuna continued to  give  instructions, the consequences would be disastrous. It would be better if Arjuna listened to Krishna - not vice versa. And Arjuna had to be made aware of this fact.

Thus begins the long journey of 18 chapters,  700 verses, across samkhya, karma, dyana bhakti,and  moksha sanyas yogas. 

But what was it's purpose? What did Krishna achieve by it?  The answer lies in Arjuna's last words in the Bhagavat Gita 

arjuna uvaca 
nasto mohah smrtir labdha tvat-prasadan mayacyuta 
sthito 'smi gata-sandehah karisye vacanam tava

By your grace, O Achyuta, my delusion is dispelled and I am free from doubt. I will now do as YOU order.

When Arjuna agrees to do as per Krishna's bidding, his victory is assured. Edited by varaali - 11 years ago
varaali thumbnail
After Krishna had placed the chariot between the two armies and in front of Bhishma and Drona, He told Arjuna "Behold these Kauravas assembled here" (1:25)

And Arjuna saw all his relations- uncles, nephews, teachers, those related through marriage stationed there in front of him.

And THEN, the awful thought hits him with a convincing finality - He would have to fight those in front of him. And Kill them. It was going to be fight to finish.

Admittedly, he had faced these same warriors -Bhishma, Drona, et all in the Matsya War (during the closing days of their exile) and had no problems defeating them single handedly. But he had fought that war as a surrogate for the Matsya prince, Uttara. And because of the circumstances, it had then been enough for Arjuna to merely incapacitate and defeat them. Which he easily did with the Sammohan Astra. 

But, this moment, Arjuna realized , was like no other. He would now have to fight to kill his beloved grandfather, revered guru and others whom he cherished.  And the magnitude of this realization overwhelms him.

In his own words, his mouth begins to run dry, his limbs begin shaking, his brain is whirling and even the Gandhiva, which he used to grip  proudly, now slips from his hands. 

He is done. He cannot fight this war.  Period.

As if answering Krishna's questioning eyes, Arjuna begins to vent out his feelings, his vishada.

In the next fifteen verses, (31 to 46 )  Arjuna gives reason after reason on why a war of this  kind will only have negative repurcussions. In one verse he says that there could be no greater sin than the killing of his own family memebrs, so why should he, Arjuna , be a party to such a sin.(verses no 38 and 39)

In another verse he tries to justify his stance by pointing out how the society as whole will degenerate when such a large scale destruction will take place. (verses no 41,42,43,44)

Suddenly , the lac house, the dice game, Draupadi's dishonour, Karna, all are forgotten.

Arjuna's mind has weaved a confusing web around his brain. He is overwhelmed by the thought that this may be the last time he would be able to see Bhishma and Drona  alive, and a more painful thought- that he, the greatest archer in the Pandava army, would have to fell them down.

He is suddenly worried about  consequences of the enormous destruction a war of this scale would cause. Women widowed, children orphaned, kingdoms rendered leaderless. 

No, he, Arjuna  does not want to be a part of all this. Duryodhana can enjoy not just Indraprastha but the all the kingdoms in the three worlds. Arjuna will not raise a finger. Better still, let the Kauravs kill him, an unarmed and unresisting Arjuna (verse no 46)

varaali thumbnail
CHAPTER II    (Sankhya Yoga / Yoga of Knowledge)

Having vented out his feelings, Arjuna throws aside his Gandhiva and slumps dejectedly into his chariot. In Sanjaya's words, " Arjuna is overwhelmed with pity, his eyes are overflowing with tears and his mind is plunged in sorrow." (verse no 1)

Krishna is not amused by his maharathi's' sudden change of heart . The time and place for such introspection had long passed. This was the moment for action. And here was his friend and cousin, on whose shoulders rested the hopes of the entire Pandava army, suddenly deciding that he would not fight this war.

If Arjuna expected some molly coddling or even a tacit approval of his opinions from Krishna, he was sadly mistaken. Krishna only wanted Arjuna to get back into the battle mode.

In a stern voice, Krishna informs him that such dejection was wholly out of place in the battle field, neither would it bring him fame, nor heaven. He expresses incredulity that a peerless warrior like Arjuna should even harbour such thoughts.   Krishna exhorts Arjuna to stand up (uthishtha) and shake off (tyaktva)  his confusion and prepare to fight.  (verses  2 and 3)

But Arjuna could not come out of his despondency so easily. In a plaintive voice he asks Krishna " How can I hurl arrows on Bhishma and Drona- who deserve nothing but the highest  respect from me? Of what use will the victory be, if such victory is stained by the blood of revered elders.?" (verse no 4)

"And", Arjuna readily voices his confusion, " I am not even sure who will win this war, they or us. I am not even sure which is preferable to  us: to fight or not to fight." (verses 5 and 6)

varaali thumbnail
Krishna is silent and does not respond.

By now Arjuna is aware  that all his venting and his so called 'reasons' for not fighting 
has not had any impact on Krishna . Krishna did not seem to be inclined to turn the chariot 
around and drive away. In fact Krishna did not seem in anyway to be affected by Arjuna's 
rant at all. The usual serene smile was still on in his lips as he casually flicked the 
reins to keep the horses steady.

Arjuna realizes that something has terribly gone wrong with him and he needs help. Composing himself and wiping his tears, he beseeches Krishna:

(A very significant sloka  (Chapter 2, Sloka 7)

karpanya-dosopahata-svabhavah 
prcchami tvam dharma-sammudha-cetah 
yac chreyah syan niscitam bruhi tan me 
sisyas te aham sadhi mam tvam prapannam

Oh Krishna, I am confused about my duty, I have suddenly become faint hearted, I am bewildered. I don't know what has overtaken me. In such a condition, I am asking you to  instruct me on what is best for me. I am your disciple (sishyas te aham), I surrender unto you (tvam prapannam)

Arjuna finally acknowledges that he indeed has a problem and to solve it seeks Krishna's help. In the past too, whether it was the  burning down the Khandavaprastha forest or  his exile in Dwaraka, Arjuna has sought and benefitted  by Krishna's counsels. Even on the eve 
of the Mahabharata War, it was on Krishna's suggestion that Arjuna prayed to Goddess Durga 
and obtained the assurance of victory from her. But despite all that, the friendship of 
Krishna and Arjuna was on equal terms. Arjuna would  refer to Krishna as "Hey Krishna, Hey 
Yadava or Hey Sakha..." Theirs was a frienship shorn of formalities or decorum.

But as Arjuna realized, the present situation was not one where he could treat Krishna as a sakha. If he truly wanted to be pulled out of the well he had fallen into he would have seek Krishna's help in a different manner.As a shishya. Fully surrendered. Which Arjuna does.

Arjuna does not let his ego come in the way of his upliftment. All along, Arjuna must have realized that Krishna was way superior to him in both skill and knowledge, yet Krishna had always treated him as a comrade. But when the moment of reckoning comes, Arjuna does not hesitate to fall on his knees and beseech Krishna to acccept him as his shishya adding that he, Arjuna had surrrendered completlely to Krishna

vanadhi thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail
Its a nice start Varaali ,
Bhagavatgita ,hearing the the name itself ,develops curiosity for kids ,because its always associated with elderly people (knowledge wise) and hence children are advised to touch it after 10 or 12 years , Because , understanding capacity of a human brain and heart  takes the main reason  behind it .

BUt this statement further persuades me to open  the book from the age  6 onwards..  

They said God will not come at all  times 
But He says 
 paritranaya sadhunam vinasaya ca duskrtam
dharmasamsthapanarthaya sambhavami yuge yuge .(ch 4. 8)

For the protection of virtuous,for the extirpation of evils-doers,and for establishing Dharma on a firm footing,I manifest Myself from age to age ,again and again.

people of world addresses that, "attaining god through yoga is not possible u may fail" .

BUt god says 

"partha naiveha namutra vinasastasya vidyate

na hi kalyanakrtkasciddurgatam tata gacchati"(6:40)

Sri Bhagavan said: Arjuna ,there is so fall for him either here or hereafter.For ,O my Beloved ,none who strives for self - redemption ever meets with evil destiny .

God also assures that 

"tara tam buddhisamyogam labhate paurvadehikam

yatate ca tato bhuyah samsiddhau kurunandana"(6:43)

Arjuna, he automatically regains in following  birth, the latencies of even-mindedness of his previous birth; and through that he strives harder then ever for protection in form of God- realization.

Hanging in walls is not at all considered when a soul is determined to unite with God .

These are the meaning full verses ,which attracted me towards Gita and enable me to read it again and again .

THanks Varaali,- for opening such a good post .

Edited by vanadhi - 11 years ago