Posted: 11 years ago

** This is my first attempt at writing an OS.

***Warning: Is very long

****Add me as a buddy to receive future PMs

Part 1: The root of all evil

Arnav and Khushi will be spending a week at the Gupta house for the first time after their wedding.

Present:

Khushi sat in the car as she watched Arnav drive angrily towards some unknown destination. She had come home from the temple in the evening along with Buaji and Amma. When she reached home she saw Arnav waiting all dressed in his suit. When he saw her he grabbed her hand and told Buaji that he had some urgent business and they would be back the next day, and they got out of the house and into his car and drove away.

4 hours ago:

Arnav and Shashi were left alone as the tree ladies of the Gupta household had decided to go to the temple. Arnav had offered to give them a ride but Khushi objected saying that they would be gone a long time and also wanted to do some shopping in the nearby bazaar. Also the temple was relatively close to go on foot. Shashi thought this was the perfect opportunity. He had been waiting a long time to be alone with Arnav and at last they were. He had been recovering rapidly since Shyam was ousted from their home but did not let his family see the progress. He knew Shyam would be watching him, ready to attack at the slightest indication of his recovery. He knew this man would stop at nothing to get to Khushi. He was the happiest to see Khushi married to Arnav, no matter what the circumstances were, because he had figured out Arnav and knew both Arnav and Khushi had a soft corner for each other. If there was anybody in this world that could put up with Khushi and care for her and protect her then it was Arnav.

He didn't know how much Arnav knew about Shyam and he was sure Khushi had not uttered a word about her past with Shyam to Arnav, but he wasn't mute anymore. He still needed the wheelchair but he could now talk. And his son-in-law deserved to know the truth, and he trusted Arnav because he believed him to be righteous.

Arnav was glad when Khushi refused his offer of driving them to the temple. He was already overwhelmed with all the attention he was receiving and didn't want to be on the receiving end of more love'urgh. It was getting unbearable with Khushi's wife act and Buaji and his mother-in-law's babying him. And if he went along with them they would surely show him off proudly to the ladies of their society, who knew nothing about the world he was from. I have done MBA from Harvard. What you studied scriptures at haridwaar. He knew Khushi had planned this to irritate him, but her family had their hearts in the right place and this is how they showed their love. To be frank, this display of affection was suffocating him. He often thought how in the realm of seemingly impossible things that could take place had he fallen for Khushi.

He was looking forward to some peace after two whole days in the Gupta household after the ladies left when he heard someone behind him speak.

Shashi: Arnav?

Arnav locks the front door and looks behind him to see Shashi and was surprised.

Arnav: Did you just call my name?

Shashi: Yes, I did.

Arnav: But' but you can't talk, or were you just pretending!?

Shashi: I had to pretend.

Arnav: Why?

Shashi: Shyam Manohar Jha.

Arnav: WHAT THE'

Shashi: Please close all the doors and windows and sit down son. I've been waiting a long time to be alone with you and talk.

Arnav does as requested, makes sure they are alone and sits on a chair opposite Shashi in their sitting room.

Arnav: What did you want to talk about?

Shashi: Khushi and Shyam.

As soon as Arnav heard those two names uttered together he felt the bile rise up to his throat but controlled his emotions, not letting them show on his face, and decided he wanted to hear what Shashi wanted to say. By now he was an expert at hiding his feelings and there was none in this entire world who was better at it than he was. But one look at Arnav's eyes and Shashi knew he had his attention and continued.

Shashi: I know, neither Khushi nor anyone else has told you about them, but I think you deserve to know and should know because you are her husband and in my opinion the only one I can think of who can set things right. Khushi may not be my blood but there is no one on earth I love more than her. I only request you to listen to everything I have to say.

Shashi waits for a sign from Arnav, Arnav nods and Shashi continues.

Shashi:I think its best I start from the beginning, Khushi's first meeting with you. I hope you remember that day. She didn't reach home on time, after running away with the shop papers which were to be a part of Payal's dowry because she wanted to settle the matter with the groom. The wedding didn't take place and we all were disappointed in her. The step she took was irresponsible. Everybody berated for it, except Payal, and she told us she got lost and was delayed. I thought about her actions over night and realized she had done what none of us had the courage to do. She had seen that the demands of dowry were wrong and had set about to right it. She knew Payal would never be happy marrying when her parents would be left helpless because of it. The entire community supported her actions the next day saying she had set an example and they were proud of her. We decided to move on because tomorrow is always a new beginning and went to the dargah to offer thanks. In a way Payal was saved.

When we came back I heard Khushi very animatedly telling Payal about meeting someone and giving that arrogant person a piece of her mind. Next day we went to the market to settle the wedding bills where we happened upon a video clip of Khushi falling into your arms. For middle class people like us it was a scandalous affair to have a daughter of the house in the arms of a stranger like that and I'm guessing you knew it. Seeing that some goons tried to take advantage of her and I was not strong enough to defend my daughter and wife. That's when a young man stepped in and fought for us. He saved us and we were grateful. That man was Shyam Manohar Jha.

Khushi was grilled when we got home. She never told us anything of what was shown in the clip and we were left so embarrassed in the community. The subject of new gossip. Khushi tried to explain.  She said she was waiting for things to simmer down to tell us. She said she didn't intentionally fall. It was all a big misunderstanding. She was lost, entered the wrong room, they mistook her for a model and was thrust on stage. She was frightened and slipped and fell. But'the damage was done and Khushi had to realize the impact her actions had on her family. And so, she was sent here to Delhi with my sister, on a trip that was to last only two weeks. Khushi accepted her punishment grudgingly, she tried to change our minds but Garima was adamant that Khushi had to be taught a lesson.

Two days later, she called me and told me she wanted permission to work. She said Buaji is out of business and is also not receiving her pension and is pressed for money. She doesn't want herself and Payal to be a burden, and wanted to help earn some money. I myself wasn't doing too well in Lucknow to help my sister. Khushi was offering and I decided to indulge her. She was old enough to experience the outside world herself and I couldn't shield her from everything forever. She had to toughen up and this was a good opportunity. Khushi was never one to sit and sulk. If there is a problem, she finds the solution. Four days after that, I got a phone call from Buaji telling me that Khushi has fallen ill and that they are going to tell her to resign. Jiji then mentioned Shyam, saying that he was a really good boy and really helping them in these tough times. Khushi's boss was a tyrant and she was not to work for him anymore. Shyam added fuel to this fire telling by egging them on, and I was in no position to judge anything.

Just before Khushi's two weeks stint in Delhi was over she made up her mind to return to Lucknow. She wouldn't tell anybody why, but I knew she was distressed. On the hand, I had also lost the sweet shop to debt and told her about it. I don't know what happened on that day while travelling, she decided she wasn't coming and would instead open a sweet shop here in Laxminagar. Jiji funded her venture. During this time, to support her income jiji decided to keep a paying guest. I asked her if it was right to have a strange man in the house when there were two young ladies, but Jiji assured me that he was well-cultured. The PG was Shyam.

Soon, Khushi got an order for a big party which was coincidentally yours, celebrating Anjali and Shyam's wedding anniversary. She told me she messed up the order, the sweets were spoilt, she made jalebis at your house and didn't meet Anajli's husband, and forgot about that business altogether because they suffered a major loss. Next day, she was approached by your sister who asked Khushi to work for her and train Lavanya to be the ideal daughter-in-law for your Nani. Khushi refused because she didn't want to meet you there. I know because she told me that every time she met you she felt like she was someone else. She felt angry,  because she thought you were unjust and ruthless, and the best way to avoid further fights was to stay away from you. But Anjali threatened her with the contract she signed with you. We didn't have money, 1 lakh is too big an amount for us. Shyam offered to pay the amount. He told Khushi she didn't have to go to work at your house, but for Khushi this wasn't right. She didn't consider Shyam close enough to accept his money and so she accepted Anjali's offer of employment.

During the first few days of her employment at your house Khushi spoke very well of your family and said everyone in that house was very lovable. After I had lost everything in Lucknow and there was nothing left, Garima and I decided it was best to move here. Khushi told me everything about her days here in Delhi' about your family, about you. For somebody she said she hated, she spoke a lot about you. When asked she would say it is wise to know your enemies better than your friends. She never paid any more attention to Shyam than what you would pay a friend. But Jiji had a different idea of their relationship. She saw that Shyam paid close attention to Khushi and thought that Khushi admired Shyam as well, and she wanted to get them married. I wasn't convinced because Khushi never spoke of him like she really cared and my heart told me I couldn't trust Shyam. There was something really wrong about him.

I told Jiji I wanted to know more about Shyam before I decided anything. She was not to tell Khushi anything about the alliance. Jiji told me what Shyam told her about himself and what she observed about him. That he was an orphan from Lucknow, he had no living relatives, and he earned a respectable living as a lawyer. He was mild tempered, caring and cultured. In other words, he was the perfect boy for a girl. And he was partial to Khushi. Jiji was of the opinion that since Khushi was adopted, she could not get a better proposal. Shyam could provide her with a secure future and also loved her. But I consider Khushi as my own and wasn't going to give her away on somebody's suggestion, even if it was my sister.

I was suspicious of Shyam. He tried very hard to please us. He was too good to be true. He said he was a lawyer, but I didn't know of any lawyer who handled his cases at night. He was with us during the day and away at night, sometimes for a few days together. I tried following him, and soon my suspicions grew. Also, he always tried to convince Khushi to resign from her job at your house by reminding her how much she hated you but Khushi always justified her work citing how much everybody else loved her. When that failed he tried to make me tell Khushi and when I didn't listen he goaded Jiji. She was completely won over. I knew that Garima and Jiji went behind my back and got their kundalis matched, and tried to weasel out a yes from me. I found out that he gave a different date of birth to Jiji than the one that was on his driving license. I wanted to know why'

When you and Khushi were stranded on your way to Nainital, I followed him to the temple. There I saw him meet a lady. I had seen him meet her before. I saw them talk. The lady looked at him with love and pride but there was something fake in the way he spoke to her. What he did next shocked me and confirmed my suspicions. He filled her maang with sindoor, which only meant one thing. She was his wife. He was already married and was trying to marry my daughter as well. As soon as the lady left I confronted him. He shamelessly told me he would do anything to get Khushi to marry him. I was already weakened from an attack of stroke and he tried to give me another attack. I escaped and hurried home so that I could take my medication, but he caught up to me and didn't let me have the medicines' I guess Devi maiyya had other plans because just in the nick of time the ladies arrived home and found me lying on the floor. Shyam pretended to have just arrived and found me there and took me to the hospital along with them. At the hospital, he tried to kill me again and get the job done but he was unsuccessful. Even then, he managed to reduce me to a condition that did not allow me to move or even speak. When Khushi came I pointed my finger at Shyam and she tried to understand but he clouded her vision. Not only that, he used it to his advantage to make Jiji think that I meant to tell Khushi to get married to him. He said it would make me happy and help in my speedy recovery.

Naturally, they believed him and broke the news to Khushi, but to my astonishment she refused the proposal. She said she never thought about Shyam that way and couldn't see her husband in him. Jiji was of course angry. She labeled Khushi ungrateful and told her that she was the cause of my woes. After all that I'd done for her, she could not get married to pave way for better proposals for her sister' they taunted her. But Khushi was resolute, she would not marry Shyam. I was glad but I wanted to know why, and I got my answer when she talked about you. Could not see any hatred in her eyes for you anymore, even when she claimed to hate you, it was irritation. Your actions might have bothered her, but she did not hate you. Sometimes she spoke of you with admiration. She told me about moments spent with you but I knew that at the same time she also hid a lot of things. She was confused but I knew she had fallen in love with you, she just didn't know it yet. On the night of Diwali, Khushi came from your house and locked herself in her room and cried. I came to know her heart was broken when she told me you had announced you wedding with Lavanya. She cried a lot that night. Little did we know Shyam had already put his next plan into action. He drew a heart on the wall of the house with their names in it insinuating that Khushi is having an affair with him. Amidst taunts of Jiji and Garima and the fear of being the cause of disgrace to her family Khushi finally agreed to marry Shyam, and the engagement was to take place the next day. She didn't reach for her engagement on the stipulated time, she told me later that she was with you, but they were engaged anyway. Khushi was asked to break all ties with your family since she would no longer be needed as you had agreed to get married. But that was not so easily done. True love always finds its way. I got my proof when you came with your family with the proposal for Payal. The way you both looked at each other gave you away. That was good news. The bad news was Shyam's wife was also your sister. Now you know why I reacted that way when I saw her. I realized that was why he didn't like Khushi going to your house. However, he couldn't do anything to prevent Payal and Aakash's marriage. She told me how you helped her make it happen.

It was the day of the havan that Anjali invited Khushi for the pooja and was introduced to Shyam by Anjali. She broke off the engagement and left. On her way home Shyam cought up to her and tried to blackmail her into staying with him by trying to commit suicide on the road by standing in the path of a vehicle. She saved him but refused to have a relationship with him. Since Khushi was lost to his purpose he tried to convince Jiji. There was no way in hell we would let him with Khushi now. There was one thing left to do now. Tell your family about it. It meant jeopardizing Payal's marriage and severing ties with your family, but in Khushi's opinion you needed to know the truth, and we told her to go ahead with her plan. She went to meet Anjali the next day, but she wasn't able to tell her the bitter truth about her husband. Khushi told us she received an omen. Just as she was going to speak, Anjali's mangalsutra broke. She was so distraught that Khushi didn't have it in her heart any more to be the bearer of this bad news. She decided she could give Shyam one chance to redeem himself. If only she knew he was not just a cheat but a murderer as well.

I am not saying we did the right thing by hiding the truth, but I hope you understand our intentions were good. I got my voice back when Khushi entered the house with you two days ago and that's why I was able to only tell you right now. Maybe Shyam has changed, after all your sister is pregnant with his child now.

A thousand thoughts and memories flitted through Arnav's mind at the end of this speech piecing every piece of the puzzle together, as if he had known the entire picture all along but only his vision had been too blurred to see it clearly.

Present:

Arnav stops the car at AR and proceeds to enter the building with Khushi in tow. All the while Khushi is scared and wonders what he is up to and why he is so furious. They take the elevator to the terrace where there is a helicopter waiting for them. Arnav drags Khushi to it and makes her sit inside. Over the roaring engines Khushi manages to muster enough courage to ask him where they were headed to and Arnav replies "Lucknow".

*********************************************************************************************************************

Part 2: (Facing the Past and the Present) - https://www.indiaforums.com/forum/post/56165720

Part 3: (Signs) - https://www.indiaforums.com/forum/post/56201455

Edited by clover - 11 years ago
pls continue...!! nd pm me... 
Wow -- you summarized the whole story!
oh plz continue..this is fab..add me to ur pm list plzz!!
pls continue and pm me! cnt wait!
that was amazing u need to continue
fantatstic os please continue soon and you have a amazing talent yaar
not fare of u to stop there...😭

conttt
its fantastic ...just update it fast!!!