Debate Mansion

Virtual Bullying

cs-07 thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail
Posted: 12 years ago
Recently i saw a show where a boy committed suicide cause his classmates and Schoolmates would call him Gay for no reason apparently .. he didnt share it with anyone , not his friends outside school or his family or siblings for that matter. The boy was in Class 6th or 7th. It was extremely saddening how the child was ridiculed and he had to die.

I never thought bullying existed in real and virtual life as well until i started experiencing it myself.

Here its not about me, but when people forget about others and stop being sensitive irrespective of their age, what is the difference between a civilized individual and a rowdy.

Generally speaking in IF i have seen in fiction soaps, characters are so important all of a sudden that it is ignored that they are talking to a person, now that may be a 12 year old to a 60year old.

Any comments on te whole subjet matter if u guys understood it :p

p..s i am bad at making topics/statements

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

thegameison thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 4
I understand exactly what you mean. In the past few years, I have literally met countless people in IF. I happened to find some really good buds here, others did forget that they were speaking to a person, defending characters that don't exist. It is annoying, stupid and weird to those who are not aware of such stuff happening. 

The sole reason why most people come to IF is to drool over their favorite TV shows which may be brainless as they come, but people spend a major part of their days here discussing em like it's just as important as the Indian government passing the yearly budget. D'oh. People behave in a very insensitive way, and that has disturbed me too. For me, it is a very trivial issue, now that I found some sensible people to be around on the internet. It is very important that we know that this place or any other social networking website or discussion forums aren't the end of the world. It is NOT right to forget that you maybe communicating through typing out stuff, but it is still reaching what you call a real person, and how they decipher your words is very subjective. 

Acceptance both in the real and virtual worlds matters to all of us today, but it is important that we implore ourselves to see sense before we get high on this and let acceptance and nonacceptance decide what we are and what we do. 

Edited by Savage - 12 years ago
Forever-KA thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 3
I will be three year old tomorrow (i.e. in the most recent virtual janam) and I have not seen any virtual bullying. There was one incident where a person threatened a girl and said something like I will see you later as I am in office right now. That is the only post that I have reported based on action of an individual.

I dont think virtual bullying matters as we dont personally know any here. Those who you know wont do such a thing. However maybe it does exist but I am not aware of it
cs-07 thumbnail
its like that - it has happened to me so it may not happen to me Ever.

The meek, the people with a different point of views are mainly targeted which is quite sad and am glad for u Anu if you havent experienced or witnessed it :)

cs-07 thumbnail
Originally posted by: Savage

I understand exactly what you mean. In the past few years, I have literally met countless people in IF. I happened to find some really good buds here, others did forget that they were speaking to a person, defending characters that don't exist. It is annoying, stupid and weird to those who are not aware of such stuff happening. 

The sole reason why most people come to IF is to drool over their favorite TV shows which may be brainless as they come, but people spend a major part of their days here discussing em like it's just as important as the Indian government passing the yearly budget. D'oh. People behave in a very insensitive way, and that has disturbed me too. For me, it is a very trivial issue, now that I found some sensible people to be around on the internet. It is very important that we know that this place or any other social networking website or discussion forums aren't the end of the world. It is NOT right to forget that you maybe communicating through typing out stuff, but it is still reaching what you call a real person, and how they decipher your words is very subjective. 

Acceptance both in the real and virtual worlds matters to all of us today, but it is important that we implore ourselves to see sense before we get high on this and let acceptance and nonacceptance decide what we are and what we do. 

⭐️

Forever-KA thumbnail
Well I am sorry to hear that. I am just not clear on methodology of bullying in virtual world. I see bullying as a pattern where someone forces other to follow them or in this case share their view. However physical part is missing. It is not like they will come out of the computer to do anything so its words basically. Still maybe I am missing something.

Thanks. You cannot bully a bull lol and that too a royal bull. nice topic.
thegameison thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 4
Originally posted by: King-Anu

Well I am sorry to hear that. I am just not clear on methodology of bullying in virtual world. I see bullying as a pattern where someone forces other to follow them or in this case share their view. However physical part is missing. It is not like they will come out of the computer to do anything so its words basically. Still maybe I am missing something.

Thanks. You cannot bully a bull lol and that too a royal bull. nice topic.

Physical presence is the only factor missing from the virtual intercourse, any way you see it. The point is that at the end of the day, we are still in the vicinity of human beings who need to be treated like human beings. So, if for example in a discussion forum of some TV show, there's this person who doesn't share the view about the hero's new tie like the other drooling gals, here in IF, the 'drooling gals', for all we know could be 12-80 years, they will all bicker, hard. People like you and I will have a laughter riot then but someone who's already up for expressing opinions on such a lame thing could get any amount of ideas outta this, it might affect em in more ways than imaginable, because well, strictly speaking, most people active on any website tend to spend more time on the internet than with 'real people', so it would effect em. This is the IF kinda bullying and I have seen it happening, and most people don't find is lame and irrelevant as we do. 

Edited by Savage - 12 years ago
Forever-KA thumbnail
Thanks savage. Like I mentioned in suicide topic, some responsibility lies on the person being bullied or lets say his or her characteristics (nature, tolerance level etc) also derives whether they will be bullied or not. A person like summer laughs off many things and is very tolerant of other views while another person could take same post as bullying.

This is therefore not that simple. It is subjective.

And I have to go and write something lol. nice discussion
-Anarkali- thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail
Virtual bullying is just as bad as real life bullying if not worse. A virtual bully does not have to worry about the ramificantions of his or her actions. At most, they will get banned from the board. Making a new ID takes less than five minutes on most message-boards. You can traumatize someone to the point of depression/suicide while hiding safely behind a computer screen. Users are under the misconception that harassing someone over the internet is not the same as doing it in real life. Just because you can escape the consequences does not lessen the intensity of the offense.
Edited by -Anarkali- - 12 years ago

Good topic nirvanlove. Virtual bullying happens on the internet world and it  affects the targeted person mentally. Whatever happens here should be left here. If one finds it hard to discard  the thought off  the mind, then understand that the bully was a loser who comes online to vent out it's frustration. Ignore that person..and go on with ur work! :)