A longer lifespan: Would you choose it?

Posted: 17 years ago

Immortality is an age old quest sought after by mankind. Nowadays, a growing number of scientists think that humans can live for upto 140 years or more. (Click on the link to get the article)

But, the main question is: Should we be allowed to have life-extending pills that allow us to live longer?

One advantage of a longer lifespan is that you can learn new things which you've never had a chance of learning before.

One disadvantage is that people will retire later, which will make the workplace very competitive.

If you were given a pill which would double your current lifespan, would you take it? Why or why not?

If i were given a chance, I wouldnt take it. There are many reasons behind it. One i dont want to live on pills that will make my life double. And Second i dont want to work in the same office and not give chance to the younger lot. 😃 😃 As they say" DO YOU LIVE TO EAT OR DO YOU EAT TO LIVE" If there were pills as mentioned above we will have to say " DO YOU TAKE PILLS TO LIVE OR DO YOU LIVE TO TAKE PILLS" IF you got what i meant
Living longer doesn't charm me. The longer we live, more problems we develop. If someone were to offer me a pill, i would say big fat NO. We shouldn't play with nature. Everything has a time. I am even against saving the near extinct species. Why play GOD? There is a reason, Dinosours don't roam the earth anymore. There is a reason, sabertooth tigers don't live anymore. Life is a cycle...If it's your time, just go.
Don't hang on to it............
Hi T
It's a wonderful topic that you have started. I am glad I took your advice to visit this section of IF.

I think everyone is going to give the same answer - we should not be fiddling with nature. The impacts of fiddling with nature are not fully known and many of the problems we face today are as a result of fiddling with nature. e.g. early menses and menopause being experienced by ladies today, babies with birth-defects etc

We have already seen the problems of an aging society in Japan and Europe. People are living longer but they are not really healthier. People are living with some ailment or the other - heart disease, diabetes, kidney problems and some syndrome or the other. Governments are having to spend more on the welfare of old people.

I would be interested in doubling my life span only IF there is a guarantee of excellent health. And I am sure such a guarantee will not be attached, not with pills, in any case.

I am all for using natural methods to live a healthy, long life such as yoga, tai-ichi etc.

I agree with you all, we should not be playing "God". This is why I also am against the cloning process.

But, I would take such a pill only if I needed to put some things in order AND if there is no other way for me to do so. I would make sure that my family will remain financially secure once I die. Thats the only circumstance under which I would attempt to increase my lifespan. Otherwise, I would not.

In any case, a life extending pill will not save one from a freak accident case.

btw, welcome to DM, Sahana! 😊
NO WAYYYYYYYY.... 🤢 Living on pills is a hell... Its the Nature/fate/destiny which decides who have to die and who have to live... come on.. if somebody takes the pills and on his way home meets an accident, can these life-extending pills still help him to live more?? I know earlier a person having an age as 140-150 years was normal.. but due to life problems, pollution, tentions,etc .. we can't afford to live longer, and that on pills!!! 😭
Nature has its own rules, we shouldn't play with it.. Let it do its work.. 😊
OOOHHH T. 😳 .. i wrote the reply an hour earlier but posted it now...in the mean while U also gave the accident example 😆 .... Wht a coincidence!!!!!!!!!!?? 😆 ..

Originally posted by MNMS

OOOHHH T. 😳 .. i wrote the reply an hour earlier but posted it now...in the mean while U also gave the accident example 😆 .... Wht a coincidence!!!!!!!!!!?? 😆 ..

😆 Great minds think alike. 😉

I dont think i will go for increasing my life. It will be against the law of nature. Also that will require me working for more years which will not allow the youngsters to get jobs. And lastly, an overdose of everything, even lifespan is harmful.
People asking questions lost in confusion
Well I tell them there's no problem, only solutions
Well they shake their heads and they look at me as if I've lost my mind
I tell them there's no hurry
I'm just sitting here doing time