Bollywood News, Bollywood Movies, Bollywood Chat

Pehla Nasha: Reproduced: Aamir Khan's fir

Smile thumbnail
Posted: 19 years ago
Pehla Nasha: Reproduced: Aamir Khan's first Filmfare interview

My uncle Nasir Husain and my father have been in this line for years but they did not want me to join the fray. It had nothing to do with the sleaziness. There is enough muck in all professions; it just so happens that the film line has magazines which highlight every event. No, they warned me, it is a high-risk business.

Working as an assistant, I have learnt to appreciate the work of the light boys, the spot boys and the other unit hands. I have acquired a keen sense of fair play. Now, I'm bound to think twice before throwing tantrums.

I got a call from Ketan Mehta, who was casting for his film Holi. He had seen me in those FTII diploma films. I was thrilled to bits. I had heard of Ketan Mehta, of his Bhavni Bhavai, and I was very keen to be in his film. I had shaved my head bald, just for kicks! I held my head in despair, but nothing was going to stop me.

I had to do through a screen test, where I had to do a love scene from Yaadon Ki Baraat. I had qualms about doing this test... When we were kids, I remember going through a double-spread of new actors in a film magazine. There was Amitabh Bachchan's photograph in the lot. We looked at it and laughed ourselves silly. What a face, really!
Naturally, in a unit full of young, aspiring actors, there is bound to be competition. We were all equally threatened by one another. We thought to our ourselves, saala, mere lines kha jayega. But the rivalry was a healthy one, not unpleasant.

The fact that Juhi Chawla, my co-star in QSQT was good, helped me. If she were not talented, it would have reflected on my acting.

"I'm inundated with calls from girls!"... "When I come on the line, at first they have nothing to say. Then they talk: 'I loved you in the film, you were so cute'. And they also ask me out; some even land up at my house! I don't know what to do. I'm thrilled that they like me... but this?"

My heroine should be Sridevi in all my films. I am in love with her. I would love to do a Summer Of '42 with her.... I wonder if I will ever get the chance....

"Right now, every hero is playing macho. Isn't that limiting? If Govinda doesn't have a gun in his hand he'll feel insecure, whereas I am ready to do any kind of role and hopefully people will like that."

Nowadays films have taken on a different shade altogether. They are being made by businessmen, who are more involved with profits, distribution and such. Earlier, film-makers loved and cared about what they were doing, they were committed to their work. Why don't the film-makers of today realise that the audience just wants a good time or a good cry? You don't have to strip females for that!

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters